IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

PSSC MAY 2017 MEETING

DoomsDave

Our next meeting of the PSSC will begin at 11AM Saturday, 20th of May, 2017 at the garden of Gregg and Debbie Hamann. Their home is located in El Cajon, CA - about ten miles east of San Diego off Freeway 8. As a group over the last few decades we have seen this garden twice before. It was begun about thirty years ago and offers an amazing selection of rare palms, cycads and tropical plants. Pathways meander down a southern exposure slope with exciting plants at every turn. On the curvy pathways you'll see trunks of rare species towering overhead. Most who have visited it feel it's one of the top gardens in Southern California.

You'll experience a lush tropical garden in a hot inland climate. There will be hundreds of super rare species you'll not see elsewhere. This includes exotic species of Dypsis, Ravenea, Copernicia, New Caledonian Palms, Braheas including B. pimo, unusual understory Chamaedorea, coning sized rare Encephalartos and Dioons, and towering canopies formed by Archontophoenix, Syagrus and Caryota. In fact, with its age, there are shade producing species that are not typically considered canopy-forming palms. All members should come as this is an unforgettable garden to see.

Date & Time: Meeting begins at 11AM Saturday, 20 May, 2017. We anticipate ending about 3:30PM.
Meal: The PSSC will provide fried chicken and drinks. This is a Potluck Meal - bring an appropriate dish

Requirements: This is a "Members Only Meeting". Guests are welcome but only with an active Member. You can join the PSSC at the entrance to the garden.

Clothing and Shoes: El Cajon is inland from the ocean and gets very hot at the end of May. Wear appropriate clothing and shoes that allow you to go up and down steps. No Heels!

Accessibility: Some areas are not accessible to handicap persons or the elderly. There are upper areas that are easier to negotiate.
Auction and Raffle: There will be an auction and raffle. Donors are asked to bring no more than six to eight plants that can be easily carried without a dolly.

Guided Tours: Gregg and perhaps a few others will give a limited number of guided tours of the garden.

DIRECTIONS: Take I 5 or I 15 (north or south) to I 8 East. (toward El Centro) - In about ten miles take the Severin Dr exit,14C, toward Fuerte Dr. - Turn right onto Severin Dr. noting that it quickly becomes Fuerte Dr. - In 2.5 miles turn left onto Avocado Blvd. - In a few hundred yards Turn slight right onto Rockwood Rd.- In a short distance stay straight to go onto New Ranch Rd. - In a short distance take the 1st right onto Valley Lights Dr. - In a third of a mile arrive to 11123 Valley Lights Dr, El Cajon, CA 92020-8266.

WE HOPE TO SEE ALL MEMBERS AT THIS GREAT GARDEN AND MEETING. For questions, contact Phil Bergman at (619) 201 4605

rGacP6o.jpg

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Oh feast thine eyes!

7SHQMSU.jpg

• Upvote 2

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Mommy!

All pictures by PANDO! Give him some love!

ytXVZF8.jpg

• Upvote 2

you miss this one, I'm sorry for you

This is one of those rare multi-generational gardens where you can see some of the tallest Dypsis and Pritchardias found anywhere in California. This is where you can spot a fat Acrocomia (Gastrococos) crispa, a mysterious Dypsis "Frilly Leaf", a towering Cyphophoenix nucele, and too many other rare species and hybrids to count. Most palms are very nicely labeled. Not only will you get a serious palm overload, this is a place where you can walk underneath the cycads as well. It's simply magnificent.

If you missed out on visiting the Darian's legendary garden in 2015, or Jeff Brusseau's magnificent showpiece in 2016, don't skip this one. Just go!  :yay:

Edited by Pando
  • Upvote 1

If'n y'all don't go, hmmmmmmmm

Can't make it.  We have my son's birthday party combined with a neice's going away party that day. Super bummed.

Just now, Pando said:

Bummer Adam. You're really going to miss Dave swinging from the trees and yelling like Tarzan.

:floor:

25 minutes ago, Pando said:

Bummer Adam. You're really going to miss Dave swinging from the trees and yelling like Tarzan.

Albeit fully clothed!

Oh yeah.

Who's coming?

LmhdFwF.jpg

Hoping to...

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Oh yeah!

Who else is coming to this epic event?

There's still time to book a cheap flight from FL or HI . . . .

3 hours ago, Palm Tree Jim said:

Count me in!

I will fly down there in my own way.......

Bring a friend!

Or an enemy if they want to be a PSSC MEMBER

I'm not going to miss this one! Going to bring my fiancee too. She's not into palms like me but I know Gregg's place might change that.

• Upvote 2

On 5/1/2017, 1:12:52, Chris Chance said:

I'm not going to miss this one! Going to bring my fiancee too. She's not into palms like me but I know Gregg's place might change that.

I hope so :)

see you there

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

On 4/26/2017, 9:26:49, BS Man about Palms said:

Hoping to...

carpool perhaps?

• Upvote 1

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Dave,

Looks like I may be able to go after all.  It will be a quick tour for me but I am pumped to see the garden. 

I think my membership is up to-date, but if otherwise please let me know.

Thanks!

Adam 

• 2 weeks later...

An image gallery has now been posted:

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/53644-the-hamann-garden-in-el-cajon-ca-image-gallery/

I couldn't make it to the meeting on May 20th, but thanks Dave for arranging to get the photo tour done a few weeks earlier.

I hope you enjoy the pictures. If anyone took pictures, please post them!

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Pando said:

An image gallery has now been posted:

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/53644-the-hamann-garden-in-el-cajon-ca-image-gallery/

I couldn't make it to the meeting on May 20th, but thanks Dave for arranging to get the photo tour done a few weeks earlier.

I hope you enjoy the pictures. If anyone took pictures, please post them!

Thanks for your pictures! The Pando-RamaTM

Never hurts. Ever.

Ahem

The Pando Rama never hurts!

• Upvote 1