PSSC MAY 2017 MEETING

29 posts in this topic

Our next meeting of the PSSC will begin at 11AM Saturday, 20th of May, 2017 at the garden of Gregg and Debbie Hamann. Their home is located in El Cajon, CA - about ten miles east of San Diego off Freeway 8. As a group over the last few decades we have seen this garden twice before. It was begun about thirty years ago and offers an amazing selection of rare palms, cycads and tropical plants. Pathways meander down a southern exposure slope with exciting plants at every turn. On the curvy pathways you'll see trunks of rare species towering overhead. Most who have visited it feel it's one of the top gardens in Southern California.

You'll experience a lush tropical garden in a hot inland climate. There will be hundreds of super rare species you'll not see elsewhere. This includes exotic species of Dypsis, Ravenea, Copernicia, New Caledonian Palms, Braheas including B. pimo, unusual understory Chamaedorea, coning sized rare Encephalartos and Dioons, and towering canopies formed by Archontophoenix, Syagrus and Caryota. In fact, with its age, there are shade producing species that are not typically considered canopy-forming palms. All members should come as this is an unforgettable garden to see.

Date & Time: Meeting begins at 11AM Saturday, 20 May, 2017. We anticipate ending about 3:30PM.
Meal: The PSSC will provide fried chicken and drinks. This is a Potluck Meal - bring an appropriate dish

Requirements: This is a "Members Only Meeting". Guests are welcome but only with an active Member. You can join the PSSC at the entrance to the garden.

Clothing and Shoes: El Cajon is inland from the ocean and gets very hot at the end of May. Wear appropriate clothing and shoes that allow you to go up and down steps. No Heels!

Accessibility: Some areas are not accessible to handicap persons or the elderly. There are upper areas that are easier to negotiate.
Auction and Raffle: There will be an auction and raffle. Donors are asked to bring no more than six to eight plants that can be easily carried without a dolly.

Guided Tours: Gregg and perhaps a few others will give a limited number of guided tours of the garden.

DIRECTIONS: Take I 5 or I 15 (north or south) to I 8 East. (toward El Centro) - In about ten miles take the Severin Dr exit,14C, toward Fuerte Dr. - Turn right onto Severin Dr. noting that it quickly becomes Fuerte Dr. - In 2.5 miles turn left onto Avocado Blvd. - In a few hundred yards Turn slight right onto Rockwood Rd.- In a short distance stay straight to go onto New Ranch Rd. - In a short distance take the 1st right onto Valley Lights Dr. - In a third of a mile arrive to 11123 Valley Lights Dr, El Cajon, CA 92020-8266.

WE HOPE TO SEE ALL MEMBERS AT THIS GREAT GARDEN AND MEETING. For questions, contact Phil Bergman at (619) 201 4605

rGacP6o.jpg

Oh feast thine eyes!

7SHQMSU.jpg

Mommy!

All pictures by PANDO! Give him some love!

ytXVZF8.jpg

Posted (edited)

Here are a few more pictures taken just a week ago:

KRQXzgE.jpg

tpjDLuS.jpg

OfmqZKe.jpg

Edited by Pando

enehngU.jpg

zxRQLkm.jpg

QyFZAh8.jpg

you miss this one, I'm sorry for you

5w6sabr.jpg

OZLQ36E.jpg

F7OKd8M.jpg

Posted (edited)

MiVq9AP.jpg

rvkeCHP.jpg

fXyYGX1.jpg

Edited by Pando

Posted (edited)

This is one of those rare multi-generational gardens where you can see some of the tallest Dypsis and Pritchardias found anywhere in California. This is where you can spot a fat Acrocomia (Gastrococos) crispa, a mysterious Dypsis "Frilly Leaf", a towering Cyphophoenix nucele, and too many other rare species and hybrids to count. Most palms are very nicely labeled. Not only will you get a serious palm overload, this is a place where you can walk underneath the cycads as well. It's simply magnificent.

If you missed out on visiting the Darian's legendary garden in 2015, or Jeff Brusseau's magnificent showpiece in 2016, don't skip this one. Just go!  :yay:

Edited by Pando

If'n y'all don't go, hmmmmmmmm

Can't make it.  We have my son's birthday party combined with a neice's going away party that day. Super bummed.

Bummer Adam. You're really going to miss Dave swinging from the trees and yelling like Tarzan.

Just now, Pando said:

Bummer Adam. You're really going to miss Dave swinging from the trees and yelling like Tarzan.

:floor:

25 minutes ago, Pando said:

Albeit fully clothed!

1 hour ago, DoomsDave said:

Albeit fully clothed!

With the red Converse high tops I presume. 

Can't wait!  This is the garden that got me hooked on palms 10 years ago!

Oh yeah.

Who's coming?

LmhdFwF.jpg

Hoping to...

Jastin and I are planning on heading down.  Looking forward to it.

Oh yeah!

Who else is coming to this epic event?

There's still time to book a cheap flight from FL or HI . . . .

Count me in!

I will fly down there in my own way.......

3 hours ago, Palm Tree Jim said:

Count me in!

I will fly down there in my own way.......

Bring a friend!

Or an enemy if they want to be a PSSC MEMBER

I'm not going to miss this one! Going to bring my fiancee too. She's not into palms like me but I know Gregg's place might change that.

On 5/1/2017, 1:12:52, Chris Chance said:

I'm not going to miss this one! Going to bring my fiancee too. She's not into palms like me but I know Gregg's place might change that.

I hope so :)

see you there

On 4/26/2017, 9:26:49, BS Man about Palms said:

Hoping to...

carpool perhaps?

Dave,

Looks like I may be able to go after all.  It will be a quick tour for me but I am pumped to see the garden. 

I think my membership is up to-date, but if otherwise please let me know.

Thanks!

Adam 

3 hours ago, Pando said:

An image gallery has now been posted:

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/53644-the-hamann-garden-in-el-cajon-ca-image-gallery/

I couldn't make it to the meeting on May 20th, but thanks Dave for arranging to get the photo tour done a few weeks earlier.

I hope you enjoy the pictures. If anyone took pictures, please post them!

Thanks for your pictures! The Pando-RamaTM

Never hurts. Ever.

Ahem

The Pando Rama never hurts!