IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The beast finally unleashed...

Mohsen

Finally I got ambitious and planed my Jubaea in front of the house.

The soil is not ideal and is mostly rocks...I though in the worst still it should be happier than  in the pot...I am not sure if we did something against council to built that brick edging but I just didn't want someone step on it ...and I know it will be very small for this beast if it will make it of course...I will happily remove it then...

It will get almost all day full sun...

what do you think about its fate and future?

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

9.JPG

11.JPG

12.JPG

13.JPG

• Like 3
  • Upvote 13

Good job,

I hope your children will see it grow...

Ciao

• Upvote 2

07690.gif

elevation 328 feet

distance from mediteranean sea 1,1 mile

lowest t° 2009/2010 : 27F

lowest t° 2008/2009 : 33F

lowest t° 2007/2008 : 32F

lowest t° 2006/2007 : 35F

lowest t° 2005/2006 : 27F

lowest t° 2004/2005 : 25F

Historical lowest t° 1985 : 18F

Very good Mohsen.... I also plan to plant 1 or 2 on my nature strip one day soon, I like your style!!

• Upvote 3

great - they are quicker in the ground

Take a picture of Liam next to it every year on his birthday would be great to look back on and to show us its growth

• Upvote 1

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

3 hours ago, Tassie_Troy1971 said:

great - they are quicker in the ground

Take a picture of Liam next to it every year on his birthday would be great to look back on and to show us its growth

Thanks Troy

excellent  idea , his Birthday will come soon in June and will do that for sure...still not sure if we did something illegal to build that edging or not?

BTW, that's my kind Neigbour Paul who helped my greatly :) 

Have you planted that under a powerline?

I planted one a similar size to yours 7 years ago its leaves are almost as tall as me but no where near chunky enough to be forming a trunk. The following pic taken back in December shows my Jubaea pushings its way through a few perennials.

20161213_133611.thumb.jpg.791febc9beccd6

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, Pip said:

Have you planted that under a powerline?

I planted one a similar size to yours 7 years ago its leaves are almost as tall as me but no where near chunky enough to be forming a trunk. The following pic taken back in December shows my Jubaea pushings its way through a few perennials.

20161213_133611.thumb.jpg.791febc9beccd6

Oh, no

now you told that I think it's under powerline...but getting there should take 20 years??

Well done Mohsen. It will be a lot happier in the ground.Dont worry about the council it will be fine.

Your grandkids will be able to see it in its full glory.

Still looks like plenty of room out front for more plantings.

:greenthumb:Steve.

• Upvote 1

Mmm, l like the way that you incrimated the old guy.

When I guerilla plant I do that too.

It is always better to have a cellmate like that, 

As we all know, if you don't plan ahead in these situations

you can end up with, Someone less agreeable instead. 

• Upvote 2

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

MOHSEN!

You're a great palm daddy!

The beast is unleashed into what looks like a perfect spot. Above all else, plenty of room.

The trunk will get to be up to 2 M across, and, once that width, will grow a 30 cm a year with regular water. Or doggie "stuff"  . . . .

KEEP US APPRIZED!

• Upvote 2

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I hope it takes off and we get regular photos.  It looks great, and has all the room it could ever need.  If it gets up to the power lines, sell it and retire.  

• Upvote 3

Land O Lakes FL, a suburb on the North Side of Tampa, FL

Summers are great, 90f/32c in the day & 70f/21c at night with plentiful rain & sun

Winters are subtropical with occasional frosts and freezes. Tropical cyclones happen.

We have a few Royal palms in the warm microclimates but Coconuts freeze.

I am a Kayaker, Hiker, Bicyclist, and amateur Photographer that loves the outdoors.  

They are pretty slow in pots. Will be better in the ground. I didn't think they were as slow as one for your children/grandchildren. I am hoping to see mine that I planted a little larger than yours get some decent size (taller than my roof) in 10 years-ish. I have planted mine in well-draining fertile (full of compost and manure) sand. There is a Jubaea post somewhere that has shown quite fast growth for a front yard planted Jubaea in the USA. Once it started to get going it really got going-every year there was a clear difference in the photographs.

• Upvote 1

• 2 years later...

I just took few pics from my Jubaea chilensis after almost 28 months being in ground...I should admit it is very slow but what I like about it its like concrete and it seems it could expand its roots ...I was thinking to remove it to plant it somewhere else as where I plant it its very rocky and not much soil but now I notice it might be happy there and maybe the roots could penetrate the rocky ground?

anyone know how strong is a Jubaea chilensis root ? should I leave it as it is or transplant it somewhere else ?

20190926_175917.jpg

20190926_175925.jpg

20190926_175932.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

I’m getting ready to pull the trigger on planting mine as well. Such a commitment with such an eventual massive palm. The good news is I should be dead before it becomes a hinderance. :P88869BB1-D089-4A79-9E2E-CF26289C5ADC.thumb.jpeg.1f76a0829b37fef56135f69df42c672e.jpeg4D62D8C8-E367-4334-A2B8-FD6840E097C9.thumb.jpeg.5c3d1eca9edb363a582329c087613f40.jpeg

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

well,

time comes finally and we will be moving from this property ...leaving my beloved palms there...this is life , what can we do,,, now I need to make the decision, leave the Jubaea chilensis there or take it with me??? as I knew first day, I have planted it on rock, so not sure how long it will survive there...but today when I tried to shake it it was as firm as cement... so now I am not sure...I would leave it there if I know it can survive or if the chance of failure is high...I took few pictures, I dont think it grows in a way it should but seems happy at the same time...

appreciate if you help me to decise

Mohsen

20220104_220941.jpg

20220104_220950.jpg

20220104_220959.jpg

20220104_221017.jpg

20220104_221024.jpg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Leave it behind, and plant a second one at your new place !  :winkie:

• Like 2

San Francisco, California

Depends on if you want to spread the Jubaea love or not?  I would dig it out personally. 

Can you speak with the new owners to see if they want it?  For all you know they may plan on ripping it out and putting in more grass.

• Like 1

Looking good!  I'd probably move it, given the cost of one that size.  Who knows if the new owner would appreciate it.

• Like 1

Yeah I would take it. You’ll come back in a year and it will be replaced with the most generic possible  tree for your area.

• Like 1

I would take it, if it will live where you are going.

Where are you going Mohsen?

And what about the other dozens of palms that you have/had?

• Like 1

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

I agree with the above...dig it up and take it!  I've seen some utterly monstrous Jubaea transplanted just fine, I haven't read of anyone having problems. 

jubaea-chilensis-trenching-transplant.jpg.8fba7802f1afac0199f7f300d08061a8.jpg

• Like 4

On 1/5/2022 at 10:29 PM, Steve Mac said:

I would take it, if it will live where you are going.

Where are you going Mohsen?

And what about the other dozens of palms that you have/had?

Hi Steve

what can I do , I will leave them all, most of them are not in front of anything, the new owner should be crazy to touch them ( I know there is no guarantee ) ...my main worry and my most beloved one is my Bismark one , but I know I cant touch it ...

we are moving to Bella vista , the property doesn't have much room for palms ( already have few ) specially not for big one so Jubaea is out of question...but we have a rental property in Westleigh near our current home... I should be able to take the Jubaea there ... at least we won the property even if dont live there ... main issue with the Jubaea is currently plant on oure rock, I dont belive it will have any future even if they dont toutch it...most likely I will take it out...

• Like 1

On 1/5/2022 at 2:15 AM, Darold Petty said:

Leave it behind, and plant a second one at your new place !  :winkie:

its not easy to find one here ... its almost impossible... although I know where its planted is pure rock , I dont think it will have any future unfortunately :(  

Yes,  then you should attempt to salvage the palm.   Jubaea in California is fairly  common, but most growers focus on the palms of New Caledonia and Madagascar.  Good luck !

San Francisco, California

I could dig a decent hole in the other property... it has much better soil condition, I will move it there...I wish I have dont it earlier, its should be much bigger if I had done this 2 years ago...

• Like 1

Mohsen,

your Jubea looks so healthy and well grown - I share your feelings!

What about digging it up and - since they are not the fastest ones - keeping it in a big pot (and taking it with you) until you made the final decision

about your place of stay...?

However, it was nice to hear from you again - all the best for you and your family!

Lars

• Like 1

22 hours ago, palmfriend said:

Mohsen,

your Jubea looks so healthy and well grown - I share your feelings!

What about digging it up and - since they are not the fastest ones - keeping it in a big pot (and taking it with you) until you made the final decision

about your place of stay...?

However, it was nice to hear from you again - all the best for you and your family!

Lars

Thanks lars

I have replaced it, God, it was not easy...I just hope I didnt kill it...I took as many root as I could by trenching 4 sides of it but few roots broken ... I will attach some pics ..

BTW we own the property and also we wont be living there , we dont have plan to sell it either ...the place we will be living wont have enough room for it...

as I was doing this alone, and I wanted to get this done with minimum time between digging and planting, I couldn't take some pictures from roots... I was lucky, the distance between two property was only 5 minutes drive... and Liam is there for future reference ...

wish me luck, I really like this one

still in old place :

1.thumb.jpg.fa0cfdb6f4abb1757f1d3465a6e1ab7f.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.feccf71bd02de26647fb51b2dc50fa61.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.f40729ab4cb0fe50cf3d440ab046476a.jpg

get in new place :

IMG_5944.thumb.jpg.999e57273de0fdcdbfb4862130f31ac9.jpg

IMG_5943.thumb.jpg.b3f50ccdae5808be5fbcfe610f98fe94.jpg

IMG_5947.thumb.jpg.ddb07cc57a12448d86c2d1c095bb7ab9.jpg

20220109_173616.thumb.jpg.91abe875cd277fe4cce49c27c5ce20da.jpg

20220109_173620.thumb.jpg.4aa62f4f13ec26da27be02f3cb28df8a.jpg

20220109_173629.thumb.jpg.ccdef8c8e42e2a07bfdcafbca2760d42.jpg

20220109_173633.thumb.jpg.0e4653c4dcadbbe1a0f45b165d19797f.jpg

20220109_173642.thumb.jpg.e7c7ee26457f0d9db0fb355d327e441c.jpg

20220109_173647.thumb.jpg.3903fe4102b4bdaea56b6b6138907adb.jpg

20220109_173718.thumb.jpg.57cdb04d723d0ff36273066319149949.jpg

20220109_173759.thumb.jpg.6fd98eb887ee142de7454f5fea0dd327.jpg

20220109_173814.thumb.jpg.3f10cab0ce5b09d8a038faa685e135cc.jpg :) 

20220109_173749.jpg

• Like 5

How time flies!

Your son has grown up!:greenthumb::wub: I remember when you posted pics of him when he was born! 

Amazing - our own span of life and then looking at the palms we grow. Some of them reproduce themselves a couple

of times while we get barely older and other ones get mature when we have long past away...

All the best and thank you for your reply!

Lars

• Like 1