IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Lepidorrhachis mooreana in my yard

Tassie_Troy1971

This Lepidorrhachis mooreana  was grown from seed 7 years ago and makes up to 3 new fronds each year.  It receives full sun until i pm most days.

Troy lepp13309772283_n.jpg.ed6f0add394b953185

17951650_10154771270478089_35119leppi 273938454419576_n.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 14

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Awesome!! Wish I could grow it but that's not an option I don't think. I'll just enjoy knowing there is 1 in your safe hands Troy

Just now, Kennybenjamin said:

Awesome!! Wish I could grow it but that's not an option I don't think. I'll just enjoy knowing there is 1 in your safe hands Troy

Thanks Ben

Been so busy this year hard to find time to participate on the forum !

Old Beach ,Hobart
Cool Maritime climate

It's beautiful ... I tried hard to find a seedling and it was not possible , our climate also should be suitable for thriving this ...

Troy, please put me on your list if you have any seeds or seedlings ...

That's a beauty Troy. After selling or giving away all my extras of this palm (seemed like I had too many to take care of), this winter my 13 year old Lepidorrhachis  developed pink rot & died. What a pisser. Guess I'll have to look at yours from now on. Thanks for posting!

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

My dream palm: beautiful but impossible

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

17 hours ago, Mohsen said:

It's beautiful ... I tried hard to find a seedling and it was not possible , our climate also should be suitable for thriving this ...

Troy, please put me on your list if you have any seeds or seedlings ...

I have heard from Colin that they are very hard to keep alive in sydney due to the warm summer nights.

Old Beach ,Hobart
Cool Maritime climate

21 hours ago, Tassie_Troy1971 said:

I have heard from Colin that they are very hard to keep alive in sydney due to the warm summer nights.

Thanks Troy

I am not sure about other suburb but where I am ,summer nights are almost always below 25C ,only very few nights above that...

1 hour ago, Darold Petty said:

Mohsen, I would encourage you to try this palm, but I doubt that the 875M top of Mt. Gower ever reaches 25C, even in the daytime.  :)

http://www.weatherzone.com.au/climate/station.jsp?lt=site&lc=200440

I would give it a try for sure but its almost impossible to get one :( 

also I think both Howea forsteriana and Belmoreana also grow with that climate but they are very happy here as well,,,,

I don't think these palms are too difficult provided that they are placed in the right position in higher temperatures. Melbourne Botanic Gardens has had one in a planter bag in their nursery under shade cloth for probably longer than I have been alive. This means that it has endured many nights above 25 40+ days etc. It has now gone in the ground and stands about 3 feet tall. It went through its first summer in the ground without any problems, but it was a fairly mild summer we had this year (no 40 + days). As far as positioning I recommend south facing in shade in the southern hemisphere (north facing in the northern). If ferns like Dicksonia thrive then I imagine Lepidorrhachis will too.

Beautiful looking palm Troy. Well done. Has it seen any high temperatures in full morning sun?

Howea are from near sea level and are larger palms that I would suspect will take much harsher warmer conditions so I would be growing Lepidorrhachis in a much more sheltered position than I would for Howea. 

• Upvote 1

looks great Troy!!!

I need to find one for my garden.....

someday I guess :)

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Great specimen Troy.

I'm after this species as it will grow here. I've never recorded a 20C night or warmer in 3 years. Just can't find seeds anywhere.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Very nice Troy!!

Even nicer than the one we saw in Ventura at Pualeen's apartment house with Tandy Decker.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I hate to make negative comments about Pauleen's palm.  However, it was poorly grown, most likely suffering from a lack of water.  I have 3 in-ground plants in different conditions, By far the best growing one is my most recently planted one, which receives the greatest amount of irrigation.  Vey busy this morning, but  I will try to post photos later today. 

• Upvote 1

San Francisco, California

21 minutes ago, Darold Petty said:

I hate to make negative comments about Pauleen's palm.  However, it was poorly grown, most likely suffering from a lack of water.  I have 3 in-ground plants in different conditions, By far the best growing one is my most recently planted one, which receives the greatest amount of irrigation.  Vey busy this morning, but  I will try to post photos later today. 

Well, okay.

But, Pauleen's was alive, which ought to count for something.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

The first photo is a habitat shot from the summit of Mt. Gower.  Note the substantial internodes between the leafbase scars.

The second photo is my first Lepidorrhachis in San Francisco.  This one was killed by nematodes before the seeds matured.  Note the similar internode dimension.

The third photo is my largest current palm.  This one should be larger, but has suffered from extreme competition from a Metrosideros tree.  It should make trunk soon.  I hope to obtain seeds from this one in the next few years.

The fourth photo is one planted 5 years ago in very bright light but with extreme competition for water from larger palms. 

The fifth photo is one planted 2 years ago in more shade but with much more water.

Notice that the 2 year palm has clearly surpassed the 5 year palm.  Therefore, abundant water is more important than the light level.  This makes perfect sense, as the summit of Mt. Gower is always VERY MOIST from the almost daily, orographic rainfall, and never dries out.  Pauleen's palm has been far too dry its entire life.

No one has more respect for Pauleen's contribution to palm horticulture than I , but these are the facts about Lepidorrhachis.  :)

IMG_3086.JPG

Beach Jan 06 065.jpg

IMG_4415.JPG

IMG_4413.JPG

IMG_4416.JPG

• Upvote 6

Nice palms Darold. How old was that trunking palm that died? The one in Melbourne Botanic Gardens is about half the size of that. Flowered last year but didn't set seed. Do you hand pollinate to get seeds? Constant moisture definitely important. In marginal climates like mainland Australia with higher temperatures keeping them sheltered from direct sun is really important because this will have an impact on conservation of soil moisture and keeping it cooler. Mt Gower is often in mist so I don't imagine they would mind being shaded too much. 

I obtained the trunking palm in August, 1990 as a two-leaf seedling.  This gift was from a friend who had visited LHI.  I grew it in pots until May, 1997, then ground planted it.  It died in November of 2006.  I engaged the government agricultural agent who took tissue and soil samples.  The pathology report indicated the presence of two common nematodes, root knot nematode, (genus Meloidogyne) and sheath nematode, (genus Hemicycliophora).

After this tragic loss I investigated pathogenic nematodes.  My "soil" is almost pure beach sand, as my garden is about 1.5 km from the Pacific ocean.  I had always used only synthetic salt fertilizers because I did not want to raise the soil elevation relative to the hardscape pathways. 

The microfauna of soils is quite diverse, and the bad nematodes are normally present, but not in such density as to cause problems.  The consensus of my inquiry was that the bad nematodes get out of hand in  "soils low in organic humus, with heavy irrigation, and an exclusive reliance on synthetic salt fertilizers".  This was the exact description of my garden for many years.  Now I try to add organic compost every season, and I only supplement with synthetics, primarily for potassium deficiency, the most common macronutrient need.

I did not attempt to hand pollinate. My memory is hazy but I believe that the first few spadices produced only staminate (male) flowers.   This is very intesting  as the palms first concern is to disperse its own DNA to other palms in the population.  The latter spadix, shown in the photo, obviously had flowers of both genders, staminate and pistillate.

This thread has drifted a long way from Troy's beautifully grown palm.  He is a great grower, and a keen observer of his palms !  :greenthumb: 

• Upvote 2

Thanks Darold. That was all very informative. Quick growth to get it that size in 16 years. 

Darold - thank you for your input and amazing selection of pictures from your garden where the constant cool humid climate is perfect for Leppidorrachis.

Jonathan - sent quite a few Leppidorachis  palms to NSW and South East Queensland about 5 years ago and not one has survived long term . Where Darold and i live the summer nights are always cool 50 - 58 F 10 -15 C and this is what makes all the difference in my opinion.  All the Leppi that were sent to Mainland Australia died during the summer period. Coastal Melbourne and Southern West Australia would be suitable.

Troy

• Upvote 2

Old Beach ,Hobart
Cool Maritime climate

Leppidorachis is definitely on my list of palms to try, but with the information Troy shared it may not be possible. I wouldn't be able to plant one in the ground until I establish sufficient shade and shelter. The night temperature during summer could be an issue too. 

• 1 year later...
On 29/04/2017, 8:42:45, Tassie_Troy1971 said:

Darold - thank you for your input and amazing selection of pictures from your garden where the constant cool humid climate is perfect for Leppidorrachis.

Jonathan - sent quite a few Leppidorachis  palms to NSW and South East Queensland about 5 years ago and not one has survived long term . Where Darold and i live the summer nights are always cool 50 - 58 F 10 -15 C and this is what makes all the difference in my opinion.  All the Leppi that were sent to Mainland Australia died during the summer period. Coastal Melbourne and Southern West Australia would be suitable.

Troy

Agree. In summer down here we average 14 or in a hot year 15C minimum in summer with averages during the day of 24, 25C . I've never experienced a 20C night ever down here.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

• 4 years later...

Hello.  Do you have some seeds Darold Petty?

I am  doing university project on palm flora of south pacific, And i finnaly got all nikau seeds but still lack seeds of Hedyscepe canterburyana, howea belmpreana ,Lepidorrhachis mooreana and  Archontophoenix alexandrae and some other species of Archontophoenix .

I wonder if you could help me and sell some seeds of hedyscepe ? I have contacted all in NZ , and nobody have them , i hope that you will be able to help me.  I have also contacted Lord Howe Island nursery , but they told me that it is not allowed to inmoprt seeds from the island. it is very difficult to find them. I wonderif you have some aviable ? i will ofcourse pay you for everything . or maybe you know somebody who have them ?  If you have seeds of the other species that i need i would gladly buy them from you,

Best greetings Alex.

Edited by Alexstudent

Alexstudent,  you have contacted me before by PM.  I very politely asked you not to contact me again.   Why are you not complying with my request ?

Perhaps you should have considered seed availability before starting your project. 

Do not contact me again.

On 4/29/2017 at 2:42 AM, Tassie_Troy1971 said:

Troy

Hello

I am  doing university project on palm flora of south pacific, And i finnaly got all nikau seeds but still lack seeds of Hedyscepe canterburyana, howea belmpreana ,Lepidorrhachis mooreana and  Archontophoenix alexandrae and some other species of Archontophoenix .

I wonder if you could help me and sell some seeds of hedyscepe ? I have contacted all in NZ , and nobody have them , i hope that you will be able to help me.  I have also contacted Lord Howe Island nursery , but they told me that it is not allowed to inmoprt seeds from the island. it is very difficult to find them. I wonderif you have some aviable ? i will ofcourse pay you for everything . or maybe you know somebody who have them ?  If you have seeds of the other species that i need i would gladly buy them from you,

Best greetings Alex.