IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

You're an old geezer if you remember....

Gonzer

...many one gallon containers in nurseries were simply hard metal cans that used an old-timey can opener to punch drainage holes in the bottom.

You had to be VERY careful when you put your hand inside cuz the triangular piece of metal from the from the punch could do some real damage.

• Upvote 3

You might be an old geezer if:

You actually have first-hand knowledge of the contents of the term "egg can" which was the model for a five-gallon nursery container.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Weezer is playing at SunFest in West Palm Beach Fl on May 3rd.

The weight of lies will bring you down / And follow you to every town / Cause nothin happens here

That doesn't happen there / So when you run make sure you run / To something and not away from

Cause lies don't need an aero plane / To chase you anywhere

--Avett Bros

1 hour ago, sur4z said:

Weezer is playing at SunFest in West Palm Beach Fl on May 3rd.

Who'd listen to him? Isn't he the dorky little kid from "The Little Rascals" with the squeaky voice? Bet he's older than we are by now. A lot. (Actually, he died in flying school in WWII. :( )

Bobby Wheezer Hutchins.jpg

• Upvote 1

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

• Upvote 2

The weight of lies will bring you down / And follow you to every town / Cause nothin happens here

That doesn't happen there / So when you run make sure you run / To something and not away from

Cause lies don't need an aero plane / To chase you anywhere

--Avett Bros

• 2 weeks later...

In the 1960's my grandfather always changed the engine oil in my grandmother's gigantic car, a 1963 Chrysler New Yorker.  Power everything; including a push-button transmission.  He always used 76 Union Royal Triton engine oil, a premium brand.  Not only was it Royal, it was purple !  :D

I bought a palm from Rudy LaSogga in the spring of 1983 in this can. I have kept it as a fond reminder of my grandfather.  However, I am now such an Old Geezer that I can't recall what species of palm was in this aluminum oil can.  :mrlooney:

IMG_4435.JPG

• Upvote 4

San Francisco, California

1 hour ago, Darold Petty said:

However, I am now such an Old Geezer that I can't recall what species of palm was in this aluminum oil can.  :mrlooney:

Elaeis guineensis?

:P

• Upvote 3

Yep, they used to open the cans on the bottom edge so you didn't have to 'tip and pour'.

On 5/4/2017, 6:18:23, Darold Petty said:

In the 1960's my grandfather always changed the engine oil in my grandmother's gigantic car, a 1963 Chrysler New Yorker.  Power everything; including a push-button transmission.  He always used 76 Union Royal Triton engine oil, a premium brand.  Not only was it Royal, it was purple !  :D

I bought a palm from Rudy LaSogga in the spring of 1983 in this can. I have kept it as a fond reminder of my grandfather.  However, I am now such an Old Geezer that I can't recall what species of palm was in this aluminum oil can.  :mrlooney:

IMG_4435.JPG

You're a bit of a geezer if you remember Rudy La Sogga . . . .

I got my first Rhopies from him, more than 20 years ago.

How about the Runaways, live, at the Cleveland Agora. Or anywhere else in the U.S. . . . .

• Upvote 1

These cans were referred to as "Egg Cans" like Dave said. When we started our nursery in 1982, plastic was already in, even though an old occasional plant or palm could still be found somewhere in these old metal cans.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Yeah Jeff. I remember when that newfangled "plastic" appeared on the scene in the 70's. One nursery I worked in the mid 70's had nothing but metal one-galloners. Thank God coffee didn't come in 5 and 15 gallon containers!

By the time I started messing with cars, they had gotten rid of those metal oil cans and gone to those foil-paper ones with the metal tops, at least in Ohio. You could buy one of those spouts that pierced the top, but we just ripped the top off, and pinched the foil paper into a spout and poured it in that way.

Oh, the Geezer Fog starts rolling in . . . .