Washingtonia robusta overwintering

6 posts in this topic

Hello, i live in Europe, in Czech Republic. My place is in zone 7a/b, this year was a bad winter with low of -12°C (for y'all imperialists 10°F), usually about - 8°C (17°F). My idea is to make a box from polycarbonate, cover the ground inside the box with styrofoam, roll the tree into some light wraps and then with heating cable (64W 4m, y'all imperialists 13ft). Is this possible or does anyone have a better idea how to protect the palm? I can get a lot of materials for free. I planted the tree this week, its like 60-80 cm high.

You should have procured a washingtonia filifera so you wouldn't have to protect it.

The winter in my country is extremly wet and filifera 1)isnt available anywhere 2)would rot.

filifera doesn't rot any more than robusta in the winter. I  can send you a few seeds to germinate and try.

Posted (edited)

8 hours ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

filifera doesn't rot any more than robusta in the winter. I  can send you a few seeds to germinate and try.

According to a tests by few guys that grow palms in our country (although in colder part, i think they post here too as experimental garden in 6b) filifera can't survive our winter because of the high quantity of water (its not that cold but it snows and rains and how temps jump between + and -, the snow melts and the ground is extremely wet) Its true that these guys have their garden in a very wet part, my garden is highly affected by oceanic climate (unstable weather) but it is drier than the rest of my country, mainly in summer (temps about 30-35°C, sometimes doesnt rain for few days or a week)

If you have seeds of clean filifera i would be interested but i dont know how bout the shipping price. Thanks

Edited by David_K
Grammar

Posted (edited)

(deleted)

Edited by David_K