Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Palmdom in Palm Beach - PBPCS Spring Sale '17 - Mounts Botanical Garden

46 posts in this topic

- 10:45AM - While Cathy was off doing her horse trading, Lew was in the booth describing the remaining plants to a pair of customers.

DSC_0402.jpg

- 10:49AM - Tom and Jeff spend time talking under the society tent, discussing sales, events, meetings, the palm world in general.

DSC_0403.jpg

- Just outside the entrance, the garden had their tent set up to collect entry donations and to pass out information about Mounts, especially about upcoming events. As usual, the next door dead D.M.V. provided plenty of event parking.

DSC_0404.jpg

- 11:00AM - Back in the booth and with good timing, an old leaf base was removed from this 7 gal. Areca vestiaria, showing the intense orange and temporary red color. Now we would just need customers to notice.

DSC_0405.jpg

Ryan

- 12:10PM - It was the half-way point in the day when we were visited by long time collector Justin. We regaled each other with stories of the palm sales of old.

DSC_0406.jpg

- 12:12PM - I decided to take another walk around the garden looking for anything I missed the day before. As I crossed the sales area, I noticed veteran grower and vendor Dale Holton (brown jacket) visiting the sale.

DSC_0407.jpg

- 12:19PM - In the forward, front corner of the garden, a Cassia bakeriana was in full flower.

DSC_0408.jpg

- The entire tree was in bloom. This shot was from directly beneath the crown.

DSC_0410.jpg

Ryan

- 12:23PM - I meandered my way through the rainforest-like corner of the garden when I heard sounds of a crowd gathering up front near one of the conference rooms. I made my way back up front to see what was going on when I stopped to photograph the statues along the way.

DSC_0411.jpg

- This one is always a favorite among certain vendors and palm people...

DSC_0412.jpg

- 12:27PM - When I made it to the garden entrance proper, a crowd was forming to see a performance of some sort. It was at this moment I noticed the sweet aroma of BBQ wafting my way from the sales area. I decided to follow my nose back.

DSC_0413.jpg

- 12:28PM - I made it back to find the society BBQ lunch under way. On a grill set up in the holding area, society members were cooking and serving lunch to vendors, etc.

DSC_0414.jpg

Ryan

- 12:28PM - This was a first for the society, at least in my memory, to provide a nice lunch for vendors and staff on Sunday. This is a reminder of the Society's usual summer or early fall picnic/BBQ event that is held at a unique location each year. Check the society website for more info. The menu today included burgers, hotdogs, and some very good sausage along with the standard picnic fare.

DSC_0415.jpg

- Smokey goodness. I had my fill and then some. They kept making food and there was a lot to go around.

DSC_0416.jpg

- 12:48PM - Jeff certainly enjoyed it, almost cleaned his plate.

DSC_0419.jpg

- 1:39PM - After lunch, vendors started to discuss the procedure of getting trucks and vehicles into the sales area for packing up. With ten vendors it still required a bit of management. We were surprised by the visit of vendor Steve Stern (on the left in yellow) who wasn't able to sell at this sale.

DSC_0420.jpg

Ryan

- 1:59PM - Travis and I took off to walk the garden once again, mostly to burn off lunch. A flower of the popular Mouse-Trap Tree, Uncarina grandidieri, before turning into one of those oh so popular spiny seedpods.

DSC_0422.jpg

- 2:03PM - The central fountain in the herb and edible plant area.

DSC_0423.jpg

- 2:06PM - The fun to grow and always interesting Angel's Trumpet, Brugmansia sp. Make sure you don't smoke it.

DSC_0425.jpg

- 2:07PM - "No, you can't eat it." Travis takes a closer look at a pod belonging to the Sausage Tree, Kigelia africana, and wonders what he could do with it.

DSC_0427.jpg

Ryan

- 2:10PM - A group of well-grown Kentiopsis oliviformis formed a line of sentries along the edge of the garden property. After being turned back by closed-off sections of the garden, we returned to the sales area to start striking the booth.

DSC_0428.jpg

- 2:19PM - There was about forty minutes left in the sale, as vendors still entertained customers while they began taking their booths apart. The society tent began to slowly start packing up as customers paid for their new plants.

DSC_0430.jpg

- One more shot of MB Palm's booth on the way back to start packing. We had a lot of cards to grab before we could start moving plants around. We spent the last minutes of the sale talking palms with people and getting the booth ready for the truck and trailer.

DSC_0431.jpg

The Spring Palm Beach Sale was a resounding success. Saturday morning was a fun time for all who attended and I could not remember a society sale that busy in a while. I think their next event is their picnic, but I am not sure when and where that will be, as of now there isn't anything on their website. They have their meetings on the first Wednesday of each month, just yesterday was their last one, again check the website for more information.

Ryan

---<

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• Palm Beach Palm & Cycad Society - Annual Spring Sale - April 8th & 9th, 2017
      By Palmarum
      Palm Beach Palm & Cycad Society
      Annual Spring Sale - April 8th & 9th, 2017

The society is having their Spring Sale this weekend. The fall sale from last year was cancelled due to Hurricane Matthew, so there is a heightened vibe surrounding this sale. Vendors and Society members are expecting a larger than usual crowd. Jeff and myself will be there along with a selection of vendors, the total number of which I do not know as of yet, but it is possibly more than usual. This might equal a larger than average selection of palm material, including one of the largest selections of cycads around. I know of a few familiar palm people that will be attending and there has always been a large turnout among Forum members. The weather should be excellent if this one front holds on and makes it all the way through. I would have posted a copy of the spring sale postcard that was sent out, but I seemed to have misplaced it. I copied the info below from the society website:
      Link:http://www.palmbeachpalmcycadsociety.com/events.html
      If there is any more info to add I will post it here, and that goes for anyone else who has more information, feel free to add it.

Ryan
    • Holidays/End of year palm sale
      By Joe palma
      A bunch of palms that have been discounted for the holidays and end of the year. If you don't see it, please call and inquire.
      I do not ship.

Thanks for looking!!
      -Joe
      Discovery Island Palms, San Marcos, CA
      760-300-7339
      Ptychosperma elegans, 5g, $25, these are actually pretty old plants even though they don't look it

• Palm Beach Palm & Cycad Society - Spring '16 Sale - Mounts B.G.
      By Palmarum
      Palm Beach Palm & Cycad Society
      Society website - Link: Palm Beach Palm & Cycad Society
      Spring Sale - Mounts Botanical Garden
      March 19th & 20th, 2016

The palm sales of the Palm Beach Palm & Cycad Society have been a fixture in S. Florida for many, many years. Some of my first palms were bought at a Palm Beach Sale, and the same is true for many other palm aficionados. The sale has changed location a few times but their location at Mounts seems to work well for everyone. I was with Jeff Searle as a vendor at the sale, one of thirteen, to fill the sales area with a diverse selection of palms and cycads. I took a small amount of photos, both in and out of, the sales area. Conversations varied a great deal, with a lot of talk centering on Cuba. The palms of Cuba, traveling to the island, the future of the island's palm species, etc. There was buzz about the next Biennial being in Cuba, but nothing confirmed that I know about. On to the sale.
      Saturday, March 19th, morning...
      - 8:45AM - The first morning of a palm sale. There is never a feeling quite like it. I had just finished setting up the signs in the booth when the camera came out. I did my routine photo record of the booth layout then went to see what was going on. Front corner of the booth...

- ... opposite side. The other vendors were doing similar setup routines.

- The Society tent, checkout and entrance area. The society volunteers were ready to go, with a few minutes left until the sale opened, officially.

- Early customers had wandered in as we were setting up.

Ryan
    • The 17th Annual Fall 'Ganza - Enabling the Palm Addiction in S. Florida
      By Palmarum
      Searle Brothers Nursery, Inc. &
      The Rainforest Collection®
      presented...
      The 17th Annual Fall Plant Extravaganza!
      October 2nd, 3rd, 4th - 9th, 10th, 11th - 2015

October 2nd, Friday morning
      The morning of a tropical palm & plant sale. There is nothing quite like it when it comes to stirring up excitement, emotions and plant-induced fervor. I think it is a universal feeling shared around the world when it comes to experiencing the driving force to both showcase unusual species and the search and the desire to procure them. The nursery received an unusual amount of heavy rainfall two weeks prior to the sale and luckily, it was anticipated. The set-up for the 'Ganza was started early so everything could be made ready in the advance of any 'unexpected' events. Like with most fall sales, the availability of species was at a high point. With Palms alone, there were 374 species, varieties and forms spanning different sections of the sales area. They comprised a selection that almost broke the record for an Extravaganza, with close to 500 different size groups, showcasing an in-depth degree of production. A few species were available in four different sizes, for example. With all the plants tagged and ready, signs out, etc. the sales area was ready for customers, and they came in force...

- 7:54AM - We all arrived early on Friday morning to get everything ready, pull some last minute plants, place some last second signage and straighten a plant or two. It was a few minutes before we opened and everyone took their positions. Andrea and Kathy talk while 'Pops' moves his golf cart out of the way.  

- 7:58AM - Jeff brings his golf cart around and Andrea and I hop on for the ride to the gate. We are seen approaching the gate, so customers exit their vehicles and spread the word that we were coming. A few finish their coffees and stow their phones as they prepare for the speed walk. The skies were overcast with a chance of rain but we figured any heavy rain would be due later in the day, if at all.

- 7:59AM - We reached the gate and everyone took their positions as Jeff turned the golf cart around...

- 7:59AM - Jeff and Andrea greet everyone as Andrea pulls the chain through and opens the gate. The customers pour through almost overtaking Jeff before he could get back to the golf cart.

Ryan
    • Which South FL Palm Sale Are You Going to Mar 28-29, 2015
      By Loxahatchee Adam
      Which palm sale are you going to? Since they're on the same weekend this year.