IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palmdom in Palm Beach - PBPCS Spring Sale '17 - Mounts Botanical Garden

Palmarum

Palm Beach Palm & Cycad Society

http://www.palmbeachpalmcycadsociety.com

Annual Spring Sale - April 8th & 9th, 2017

Mounts Botanical Garden - West Palm Beach, Florida

https://www.mounts.org/

The Palm Beach Palm & Cycad Society held their Annual Spring Sale a couple of weekends ago at Mounts Botanical Garden, a great venue for such a time honored palm sale in S. Florida. There was an added level of anticipation for the event this year, not just because it is a spring plant sale, but for a couple reasons. For one, the Fall sale of last year was cancelled due to Hurricane Matthew, which created a seasonal drought for palm-related activities in the area. Secondly, this past winter in S. Florida was far warmer than expected. The lack of a bitter cold spell always brings out the plant people in search of new material, ready to add stuff to their yard or collection. The weather for the weekend was also expected to be phenomenal, and it was. All these factors contributed to one of the best sales the society has had in many years, it was exciting to see.

Saturday, April 8th...

- 8:45AM - The morning of a palm sale. There is nothing like it. After the last minute details within Jeff Searle's booth were finished, I started by taking some of the booth photos I usually take, showing the layout of the booth and what plants were where, etc. The booth location was new for us, as it had moved down and around the end of the sales area. A few of the vendors were moved around from where they were in past sales, to make room for new ones, take up space left by vendors who had dropped out, etc. We took advantage of the shade provided by a pair of tropical fruit trees and placed the tables under them.

DSC_0262.jpg

- The back of the booth, looking forward...

DSC_0263.jpg

- The center of the booth, sort of... we didn't have a set plan for the booth before hand, we just make it up as we go.

DSC_0266.jpg

- Another view of the back of the booth. This spot was going to get full sun all day, so naturally all the full sun palms went here, most of them.

DSC_0267.jpg

Ryan

• Upvote 4

South Florida

- 8:46AM - The far side of the booth featured the more shade-growing palms and was separated into rows, with alternating sizes of containers. We had a ton of room, so we tried to space out everything as much as possible. Two bushy Calyptrocalyx members marked the beginning of two rows; a 7 gal. Calyptrocalyx sp. 'Kal Keiyik' towards the left and a 7 gal. Calyptrocalyx polyphyllus towards the right.

DSC_0268.jpg

- The gallons and smaller plants were at home under the fruit trees. They had shade all day and there was enough room to walk around without having to duck. The grouping of Calyptrocalyx sp. 'Boalak' marked the corner of the booth.

DSC_0269.jpg

- The front of the booth, looking inwards. We were able to get the trailer right to the booth, so many plants only traveled a couple feet to their show spot. A few of the larger specimens were left at the front line of the booth to try and grab attention; including (left to right) a 10 gal. Dypsis lanceolata, a 10 gal. Dwarf Betel Nut Palm, Areca catechu cv. 'Dwarf' all nice and shiny, and a 10 gal. Caryota zebrina ready to show off its stripes.

DSC_0270.jpg

- Same view as above, a tad to the right... The ample space left us room to leave aisles large and wide. It was not quite opening time yet, but the gate remains open all morning so there were a few browsing customers.

DSC_0271.jpg

Ryan

• Upvote 2

South Florida

- 8:48AM - I moved down the aisle following the customers a bit, double checking the signs, plants, anything that might have fallen over. The grouping of Kentiopsis pyriformis marked the edge of the booth on the right, while the 7 gal. Borassodendron machadonis (to the right of center) headlined the start of a row.

DSC_0273.jpg

- I walked to the B. machadonis and turned to the right, looking down the aisle for anything out of sorts. We had species of all kinds, tucked in here and there.

DSC_0274.jpg

- Flipping around 180º from above, the center part of the booth featured a mix of everything. Mostly, it was stuff that didn't fit it anywhere else and could take the extra light. To the right of the Caryota zebrina was a colorful 3 gal. Bentinckia condapanna and a pair of 3 gal. Dypsis onilahensis var. 'Weepy Form'.

DSC_0275.jpg

- The next booth down along the fence belonged to D'Asign Source and featured a rather large, showy (and old) 7 gal. Pseudophoenix ekmanii. It was flanked by a pair of three gallon plants for those customers with more patience. The larger one was definitely ready to be planted. Instant gratification was included.

DSC_0276.jpg

Ryan

• Upvote 3

South Florida

- 8:50AM - The tables were organized randomly to give collectors an equal chance of getting to their most wanted first.

DSC_0277.jpg

- The plants were spaced out so it didn't take long for the intrepid collector to find their species fast.

DSC_0278.jpg

- We tried to bring as many different species as possible, even if that meant just bringing just one plant.

DSC_0279.jpg

- The sales area a few minutes to opening time. It was a buzz of activity as usual.

DSC_0280.jpg

Ryan

• Upvote 1

South Florida

- 8:51AM - A bit of glare. Vendors were finishing up and getting their booths ready. There were ten vendors, arranged in a large oval around the sales area.

DSC_0281.jpg

- The society tent was right next to the entrance and was ready for customers. The registers were set up, the books and shirts were out on display, volunteers in position, just waiting for attendees.

DSC_0282.jpg

- In behind the society tent was the holding area, marked off by the orange fence. The space out in front was used by vendors to display plants. If you came in need of a ready-to-plant Triangle Palm, Dypsis decaryi, you were in luck. The European Fan Palm, Chamaerops humilis, on the left was priced to move.

DSC_0283.jpg

- Zooming out a bit to show the holding area and the next three booths, wrapping around the end.

DSC_0284.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 8:52AM - Same viewing spot as above, moving to the left, showing more booths.

DSC_0285.jpg

- Another large booth, right in the middle of the sales area. There was a lot of material to browse, with multiple choices from species to genera throughout the sales area.

DSC_0286.jpg

- Hard to see, but a plant gets selected and carried to the holding area.

DSC_0287.jpg

- The full (for the moment) booth belonging to Cathy and Lew Burger. Cathy was busy getting the booth ready there on the left, while Lew was already helping customers carry palms up to the front.

DSC_0288.jpg

Ryan

• Upvote 2

South Florida

- 8:53AM - On the left with the hat, Lew was carrying a few select palms up to the tent for a group of customers. They were starting a pile that kept growing out in front of the tent.

DSC_0289.jpg

- As opening time was upon us, customers began to flow into the sales area. Each customer or group went off in different directions.

DSC_0290.jpg

- The pile consisted of several different palms, including a mass of coconuts. The proximity to the entrance and parking lot allowed customers to bring their vehicles in close to load. Just got to figure out how they want to do it.

DSC_0291.jpg

- The Coconut Palms, Cocos nucifera, spanned a couple different cultivars, most of which came from Cathy and Lew Burger.

DSC_0292.jpg

Ryan

• Upvote 1

South Florida

- 8:56AM - A long view of a few different booths across from the entrance. The vendors were ready, signs were out.

DSC_0293.jpg

- Constantly moving in multiple directions at once, vendor, veteran collector and biennial attendee, Cathy Burger carries another palm up front for a customer. I am beginning to think she is related to the Energizer Bunny, as she seems to have unlimited energy.

DSC_0294.jpg

- 8:58AM - Pile made, tags clipped, totals tabulated... done. Time to load it all. As the first batch is being loaded, Society President and Sale Chairman Tom Ramiccio begins to clip the tags from another pile.

DSC_0296.jpg

- In the middle of it all, a question about a palm arose. Tom, Lew and Cathy took turns looking over the palm.

DSC_0297.jpg

Ryan

• Upvote 1

South Florida

- 9:01AM - It was getting loaded, one plant at a time. I think the load consisted of a couple different batches, purchased separately. On the left, Society Director and Events Chairman Terry Lynch keeps the action organized.

DSC_0298.jpg

- They were squeezing it all in, someway, somehow. Terry, in the society palm shirt, adds one of the last palms onto the tailgate. I didn't think they had far to go, as they were not going to lay down much of the load.

DSC_0299.jpg

- Society member Gerry carries a few plants to the holding area, either for himself or for a customer. The mornings slow pace began to pick up.

DSC_0300.jpg

- 9:05AM - It only takes a second for a plant to get picked out and grabbed. An Encephalartos of some species gets carried to the holding area.

DSC_0301.jpg

Ryan

• Upvote 1

South Florida

- 9:06AM - The booth belonging to MB Palms was situated in its familiar corner across the sales area. Those pair of white tents covered a set of tables loaded with numerous different rare and unusual species. They always bring something new and surprising for the collector.

DSC_0302.jpg

- 9:10AM - Customers went off in various different directions as they entered the sales area. I have always wondered what brings them, or attracts them to each plant or booth first.

DSC_0303.jpg

- Gerry and Travis Searle talk in front of the holding area. There was no early rush into the sale, but it was definitely building.

DSC_0304.jpg

- I think the palm shirts stand out more when at a sale.

DSC_0305.jpg

Ryan

• Upvote 1

South Florida

- 9:15AM - Making the long drive over from the west coast, were palm world familiars Jim and Judy Glock, who came to visit the sale. Judy had not been to a Palm Beach sale since the old days when it was held at Morikami. Jeff had to get his hug of course.

DSC_0309.jpg

- 9:17AM - It became surprisingly busy, and it was most welcome. I didn't help too many customers with wish lists, but I did see plants get picked up from around the booth. Since we tried to bring as many species as possible, the majority of the selection was one plant with one card, thus I started picking up card after card.

DSC_0310.jpg

- A customer lowers himself down to take a closer look at the 7 gal. Phoenicophorium borsigianum that bordered the gap between two tables.

DSC_0311.jpg

- 9:18AM - Conversations take place out in front of the booth, as the sales area in behind swells with customers. On the left, showcasing his familiar foot implement, collector Steve Resh shows something on his phone to Jim, as Judy and Jeff go at it about something.

DSC_0312.jpg

Ryan

• Upvote 1

South Florida

This was a very good sale for all the customers that showed up, and the Saturday crowd was large. For having only 10 vendors, the palm selection was incredible. I want to especially thank all the members and volunteers that were involved with the society that helped with putting this sale on. It was very well organized and they actually thanked us vendors and appreciated us for  participating. And to prove this, they brought a grill in and cooked hamburgers, hot dogs and sausage for all the vendors including cold drinks on sunday. And thank you Ryan once again for all of your great photography.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Sales like this are disappearing.  I was happy to see MB Palms, which has made a couple of trips to Vero Beach's Gardenfest, at Mounts.  They've been offering a broad array of plants.  I left with a bundle of Chamaedoreas from Searle Brothers.  Some may go to fill empty shady spots at Heathcote Botanical Gardens.  Otherwise, my backyard, which can always use a few more.  

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

Nuts (coco)...I can't believe I missed this ganza.

The weight of lies will bring you down / And follow you to every town / Cause nothin happens here

That doesn't happen there / So when you run make sure you run / To something and not away from

Cause lies don't need an aero plane / To chase you anywhere

--Avett Bros

On 4/21/2017, 8:20:41, dmc said:

encephalartos natalensis that I picked up for next to nothing, has a nice look to it. ...

I thought that plant looked familiar. When I saw the photo of it posted over in the sale topic under the Affiliate News sub-forum, it rang a bell. It is a very well grown plant and should fit in anywhere there is a room for a cool-looking and robust Encephalartos. It is good to have the name as well.

Ryan

South Florida

- 9:23AM - It started getting crowded, for real. It may not last for long, but for a palm sale in this day and age, it was a great feeling. Steve talks either plants or feet with other attendees out near the front of the booth.

DSC_0313.jpg

- 9:29AM - A sale for Mounts. Employees of the garden came by the booth and picked out a Teddy Bear/Triangle Palm Hybrid, Dypsis leptocheilos × decaryi. Shopping with a golf cart makes things easier.

DSC_0315.jpg

- Lines began to form under the society tent as the flow of purchases began to add up.

DSC_0316.jpg

- The sale had been open for a half-hour, and it was becoming a quick success, traffic wise.

DSC_0317.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 9:30AM - Society volunteers were in high gear. If they were not clipping tags, counting purchases, selling merchandise or running the register, they were out in the parking lot helping to load plants and bags of fertilizer.

DSC_0318.jpg

- Adding more plants during the first morning of the sale? It does happen. Jeff and Travis carry in a couple of select palms from the parking lot. They got a special ride up from down south.

DSC_0319.jpg

- 10:03AM - I returned to the booth for a while to help customers find certain species. In the far back of the booth, Jim Glock answers questions from multiple directions.

DSC_0320.jpg

- 10:10AM - Plant people, vendors, society members, etc. seem to have more fun when it gets crowded; as you get that 'sense of urgency' as people grab plants, ask questions and look for stuff in a hurry, knowing there are only so many specimens available. Many haven't had this sense in a while.

DSC_0322.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 10:11AM - It didn't take long for another large pile to start taking shape. Like the last one, it sort-of skipped the holding area and began to form out in front of the society tent. Many of the plants were small, until this large and showy Pelagodoxa henryana was carried over and dropped right in the middle of the growing pile.

DSC_0323.jpg

- It got to the point there were customers in every booth, simultaneously. This was the crowd in front of D'Asign Source's booth, manned by Elizabeth, on the right under the tent. A customer photographs the grouping of 7 gal. Seashore Palms, Allagoptera arenaria, towards the right.

DSC_0324.jpg

- Another Encephalartos sp. heading to the holding area, this time via a dolly. Those cycads do get heavy.

DSC_0325.jpg

- 10:13AM - Whether its a a large pile of rare species, or a single common landscape palm, they got treated the same as they made their way through the well-orchestrated checkout process.

DSC_0326.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 10:25AM - The pile of unusual species out in front of the tent continued to increase in size, as the line for the checkout grew longer and longer.

DSC_0331.jpg

- 10:26AM - He was at it again. Forum member and avid collector Pastor Randy (Palmaceae) began loading his newly acquired goodies after moving his car over to the entrance. He had a nice selection of palms and cycads, including a 3 gal. Chambeyronia macrocarpa (in his hands), a 1 gal. Rhapis sp. of some kind, with thin segments and upright leaves, (by his feet), a pair of one gallon Zamia sp. resembling Z. furfuracea or Z. loddigesii, a 1 gal. Beccariophoenix, either B. fenestralis or B. alfredii, a 1 gal. Pinanga sp. 'Thai Mottled', and a 4-inch Areca vestiaria var. 'Maroon Leaf'. Cool stuff, indeed.

DSC_0332.jpg

- This was one of the busiest rushes of the morning...

DSC_0333.jpg

- 10:27AM - ... as the line was forming as fast as customers were leaving. They had two registers going at full speed, servicing either cash, check or credit card payments.

DSC_0334.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 10:28AM - A bright and shiny 7 gal. Areca triandra gets carried to the holding area in haste. Some plants spent only a few minutes in the holding area, while some spent all day within the confines of the orange fence. 

DSC_0335.jpg

- Under the tent, it was business and humor rolled into one. Terry keeps everyone entertained as the line works its way through the checkout.

DSC_0336.jpg

- On the left, Terry and Gerry continue the show as Society Vice President Don Bittel keeps one of the registers running.

DSC_0337.jpg

- Books, books and more books. A selection of books is always good to look through. I saw a customer or two walking around reading their newly-purchased palm info devices, going from plant to plant and page to page.

DSC_0338.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

2 hours ago, Palmarum said:

DSC_0317.jpg

Ryan

And..... Nice red/ pink hue there!!!!

Rio_Grande.gif

anybody see any Syagrus coronatas or Syagrus schizophyllas for sale there?   I couldnt make the sale regrettably to snifff around '''' looks like a good time was had  by all party on 

On 4/25/2017, 12:15:39, edbrown_III said:

anybody see any Syagrus coronatas or Syagrus schizophyllas for sale there?   I couldnt make the sale regrettably to snifff around '''' looks like a good time was had  by all party on 

It was a good time for palm people for sure, plus those new to the sale and new to the world of palms certainly got their eyes opened. It was a party-like atmosphere throughout the weekend, especially among vendors and society members. After the totals from Saturday were figured, the Board members were ecstatic Sunday morning... I thought a keg of beer might show up at any moment. I didn't have a chance to look around, plant-to-plant, but S. coronata is usually found at the sale, but I didn't see any. I thought I saw a few smaller, S. schizophylla plants in one of the middle booths, like large one-gallon or three-gallon specimens.

Ryan

South Florida

- 10:30AM - Here one minute, gone the next. If you had your eyes on a plant, you should grab it when you can, as it might not be there when you go back. A 7 gal. Licuala paludosa var. aurantiaca gets grabbed out of the booth and hauled up-front to the impromptu pile.

DSC_0339.jpg

- The pile received additions from all directions, representing all or almost all of the vendors. On the right side of the pile, Jeff drops off the double Chambeyronia macrocarpa that was one of the morning 'restocks' seen earlier in the topic.

DSC_0340.jpg

- 10:34AM - Time to start clipping the tags. The pile was still growing as the collectors were still finding more plants, but I guess they figured to start the process now while the pile was manageable. Tom and another volunteer began going from plant to plant, counting and clipping as they went.

DSC_0341.jpg

- The pile became its own entity; growing, moving, expanding and contracting. It was a median example of what plant material was available at the sale. Both palms and cycads were well represented, from the common to the rare.

DSC_0342.jpg

Ryan

• Upvote 1

South Florida

- 10:37AM - Waiting near the entrance, FM. Meg Price (PalmatierMeg) stands close by to her new stash of plants. She found herself a very nice example of a Dwarf Betel Nut Palm, Areca catechu cv. 'Dwarf'. It is a seven gallon-sized plant and featured very nice dwarf characteristics.

DSC_0343.jpg

- 10:42AM - A few minutes later, the wait was over. Her plants were loaded and ready to go. A 3 gal. Gaussia gomez-pompae was last to be loaded and was sitting in the center of the truck bed.

DSC_0344.jpg

- As the giant pile was being sorted out, other customers went around and entered the checkout with their new wares.

DSC_0345.jpg

- 10:45AM - Hmm. How to load, palm A. into car. B. Do you prefer pot-first, or head-in-first? Plant people around the world seem to have their own preferences.

DSC_0346.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 10:45AM - Proud of his new score, FM. Randy Wiesner (palmislandRandy) poses for a second next to his new 15 gal. Pritchardia thurstonii. It had a great price and is going to be part of an excellent collection. First, they had to get it into the car...

DSC_0347.jpg

- With some coordination and multiple sets of hands, the palm had its crown tied up with some handy cord. Starting with one petiole, the leaves get pressed together slowly one after another. Although not possible with every palm, it is nice when this procedure works, as it saves space and protects the plant.

DSC_0348.jpg

- 10:48AM - The palm is lifted and guided in head-first. In this situation, the leaves can share space between the two front seats, leaving more room in the back and allowing for the palm to be removed by its pot. Randy has done this before, many times.

DSC_0349.jpg

- 10:50AM - The behemoth of a pile continues to grow, even as the tags were being collected. One last addition was this unique palm, still rather new to cultivation, a 7 gal. Cyphosperma naboutinense. This palm continues to surprise us as to how well it grows in S. Florida, much easier and faster than its fellow species within the genus.

DSC_0350.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 10:51AM - The show continues as Lew and Judy recognize a pair of familiar faces. They talk with veteran collectors and plant sale attendees Theresa and Ray Gompf (back to camera), who are usually seen with matching outfits.

DSC_0351.jpg

- 11:10AM - Ray talks palms with Jeff near the back of the booth. Ray has been collecting steadily for decades and has an incredible collection spanning multiple plant families. He and Theresa have attended a few biennials among their extensive travel history.

DSC_0352.jpg

- 11:15AM - I took another moment to look around the sales area, seeing what I might have missed the first few times. This is the view of MB Palm's booth from the back, looking through the tents.

DSC_0354.jpg

- 11:30AM - Always an ambassador of the palm world, Jeff talks plants, people and travel with a pair of sale attendees.

DSC_0355.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 11:32AM - Ray and Theresa make their way to MB Palm's booth, where they are seen talking with vendor and IPS Director Mike Smukall and fellow IPS Director and FM. Paul Craft (Licuala). Paul found something to get in his hand, but I couldn't make it out.

DSC_0356.jpg

- A very nice specimen of Licuala orbicularis was featured prominently among the selection in MB Palm's booth. It had the duty of showcasing a few nearby smaller plants.

DSC_0357.jpg

- 11:35AM - "Uh oh..." A palm catches the eyes of Jeff, as it heads back to the booth via Terry. I guess they changed their mind, which happens. At least it didn't spend all day in the holding area, only to find it tomorrow morning.

DSC_0358.jpg

- A texture shot of a passing Encephalartos ferox.

DSC_0359.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 11:44AM - With the giant pile processed, loaded and taken away, the pace of the sale had slowed down as we got closer to lunch time.

DSC_0360.jpg

- There are no resources for food in the garden, minus the tropical fruit trees. Those wanting lunch have to leave to go find it or bring it with them. There are a few options nearby, but you still have to go get it. This lull during lunch time happens a lot at sales.

DSC_0361.jpg

- Cathy's booth was thinned out dramatically. She had only a small portion of the plants left that she had to start with.

DSC_0362.jpg

- Drew Rathburn's (seen in upper left in yellow) booth was more or less decimated. As he had the spot closest to the sale entrance, his plants were either the first or last customers saw. He had less than thirty plants or pots left at this point on Saturday. It would have been very nice if a vendor actually sold out. This has not happened in a long time.

DSC_0363.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 11:45AM - The booth to my right of Drew's booth held this corner of the sales area. They had a lot of material featuring more of the well-known genera, along with a nice display of decorations and details.

DSC_0364.jpg

- 11:47AM - Even though the pace had slowed down, there was a good flow of customer traffic through the entrance and society tent. On the left, Tom describes features of the society to attendees as another thumbs through the Second Edition, of The Encyclopedia of Cultivated Palms. The volume was one of several great palm books on the table. I wonder if the customer knew that one of the authors (Paul Craft) was just a few yards to his left.

DSC_0365.jpg

- The society was selling fertilizer like crazy. The top dressing formula was very popular and almost sold out by the end of Sunday. It is a very well-balanced 8-2-12 formula, including all the minor elements palms need.

DSC_0367.jpg

- 11:56AM - Before heading out for their long trek back to the west coast, Judy and Jim Glock discuss with Jeff what other events are coming up in the palm and plant world.

DSC_0368.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 11:56AM - I took this shot of the sales area as we were discussing what to do for lunch. With a nearby search revealing our selection, we made the decision to go get take-out. I think some of the other vendors were doing the same thing.

After lunch, I decided to burn if off by taking a short walk around the garden...

DSC_0369.jpg

- 1:00PM - The garden's proximity to the Palm Beach International Airport made for some occasional plane spotting, as it was right across the street, Military Trail. This was as close as I could get without risking a hit by a car. I was able to get this poor shot of Air Force One, Boeing 747-200, from across the airport. I found out later, there was a better spot being used by photographers along the southern edge of the airport. I have photographed the famous aircraft before, but it had been a while.

DSC_0373.jpg

- 1:52PM - The fabulous Amherstia nobilis was both flowering and flushing at the same time.

DSC_0374.jpg

- 2:01PM - A variety of Sunflower, Helianthus sp., in bloom near one of the vegetable beds.

DSC_0376.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

40 minutes ago, Palmarum said:

- 11:56AM - I took this shot of the sales area as we were discussing what to do for lunch. With a nearby search revealing our selection, we made the decision to go get take-out. I think some of the other vendors were doing the same thing.

After lunch, I decided to burn if off by taking a short walk around the garden...

DSC_0369.jpg

- 1:00PM - The garden's proximity to the Palm Beach International Airport made for some occasional plane spotting, as it was right across the street, Military Trail. This was as close as I could get without risking a hit by a car. I was able to get this poor shot of Air Force One, Boeing 747-200, from across the airport. I found out later, there was a better spot being used by photographers along the southern edge of the airport. I have photographed the famous aircraft before, but it had been a while.

DSC_0373.jpg

- 1:52PM - The fabulous Amherstia nobilis was both flowering and flushing at the same time.

DSC_0374.jpg

- 2:01PM - A variety of Sunflower, Helianthus sp., in bloom near one of the vegetable beds.

DSC_0376.jpg

Ryan

Cool pictures Ryan, I got a couple of Airforce one too but yours is much better!

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

There were over 700 palms and cycads sold in the two days of the sale, not too shabby!:o

Palm Beach Palm and Cycad Society Member (IPS Affiliate)

North Palm Beach

20 hours ago, Palmaceae said:

... I got a couple of Airforce one too but yours is much better!

It is hard to believe that, compared with what photos I ended up with, and that was the best one. I was looking for low branches and stuff to climb on to get higher, but didn't find anything that would work. There is a tall berm that ran along part of the fence (you can see part of it in the photo above, to the left of the No Trespassing sign) but I thought I would attract too much attention if I got up there, not to mention the fun of crossing Military Trail on foot.

Ryan

South Florida

- 2:08PM - Not far from the sales area, was this flowering Butterfly Tree, Erblichia odorata. Not... the best photo, but I couldn't remember before seeing a specimen with so many flowers, so I got what photos I could.

DSC_0377.jpg

- 3:18PM - "Sold." Back in the sales area, Jeff helps out a customer by carrying the 7 gal. Phoenicophorium borsigianum (seen earlier in the topic) up front to the society tent.

DSC_0378.jpg

- 3:23PM - Woof. Dogs and people alike, get their full enjoyment of the day at the palm sale. She had an interesting trim-job on her tail.

DSC_0379.jpg

- 3:36PM - We spent the remaining time of the sale, relaxing in and around the booth. We had a visit from FM. Dave Martin (Dave-Vero) who had interesting insight on several subjects of the natural world.

DSC_0380.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 3:37PM - A stash makes its way out of the holding area to the checkout. Those red emergent leaves towards the back of the load, most likely belong to a Ptychosperma waitianum.

DSC_0381.jpg

- 3:38PM - Now that the smaller palms had been loaded, time for the big one. With help from vendor Drew Rathburn, the large Licuala ramsayi gets lifted and loaded onto the truck...

DSC_0382.jpg

- ... before being moved across the truck bed and laid down, with the crown and leaves laying over the tailgate.

DSC_0383.jpg

- 3:42PM - While waiting its turn to go through the checkout, the Phoenicophorium borsigianum was attracting a lot of attention from the people nearby. The bright orange petioles and rachises act like flares, not to mention the general orange cast on the older leaves and the jet-black spines on the petioles and lower leaf bases. People were asking, "How would one plant such a thing?" The answer is, carefully, and handle it by the root ball after taking it out of the pot.

DSC_0385.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 3:45PM - Figuring it would be safer with two people instead of one, Terry and Drew join forces to carry the palm to the customer's waiting car.

DSC_0386.jpg

- 3:56PM - In the last few minutes of the sale on Saturday, plant groups get taken through the checkout, while the t-shirts, books and various materials get put away.

DSC_0387.jpg

- Tom clips the tags on one more batch for the day, which had become a record-setting day in recent memory.

DSC_0388.jpg

- We went back to the booth to grab our stuff before leaving and I snapped a quick photo of the 5 gal. Johannesteijsmannia perakensis, sitting on the table. It had help to sell all but one of the one-gallon plants. I did this to mostly remind me to re-do the card that night, which I did.

DSC_0389.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

Sunday, April 9th...

- 10:21AM - A few photos from Sunday show the much slower pace of the sale. There were a few customers here and there, who trickled in throughout the day, but nothing compared to what we saw the day before. The schedule of the sale sort-of reflects this, as the sale is shortened from 9:00AM to 3:00PM on Sunday.

DSC_0390.jpg

DSC_0391.jpg

- 10:33AM - A group of customers look through D'Asign Source's booth in the late morning, although they were some of the first.

DSC_0393.jpg

- 10:38AM - A promising sight for any plant sale, a customer with their own cart.

DSC_0396.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 10:39AM - Many vendors were relaxing in their booths at this point, or in with other vendors' booths doing the same thing... possibly grouping their efforts with what customers were around.

DSC_0397.jpg

- This lull often creates the situation where vendors will buy-trade-sell with one another. Vendors are, in one form or another, die hard palm and plant people, so they are always looking for ideas, stuff to grow on, add to their own collection, etc. Sometimes a well-timed trade can go far. Vendors Cathy and Drew were in the middle of one possible deal when I noticed them carry stuff over to the holding area from Drew's booth.

DSC_0398.jpg

- I think Cathy was working towards emptying Drew's booth once and for all. Either way, Drew had the shortest packing-up time ahead of him.

DSC_0399.jpg

- 10:41AM - The winds had changed. The aircraft that were normally taking off over the garden were now landing over it. This lead to more plane spotting if you able to look through the garden canopy at the right spot, as I was to catch this jetBlue Airbus A320-232 as it flew through a gap.

DSC_0400.jpg

Ryan

South Florida