46 posts in this topic
Palm Beach Palm & Cycad Society - Annual Spring Sale - April 8th & 9th, 2017
Palm Beach Palm & Cycad Society
Annual Spring Sale - April 8th & 9th, 2017
The society is having their Spring Sale this weekend. The fall sale from last year was cancelled due to Hurricane Matthew, so there is a heightened vibe surrounding this sale. Vendors and Society members are expecting a larger than usual crowd. Jeff and myself will be there along with a selection of vendors, the total number of which I do not know as of yet, but it is possibly more than usual. This might equal a larger than average selection of palm material, including one of the largest selections of cycads around. I know of a few familiar palm people that will be attending and there has always been a large turnout among Forum members. The weather should be excellent if this one front holds on and makes it all the way through. I would have posted a copy of the spring sale postcard that was sent out, but I seemed to have misplaced it. I copied the info below from the society website:
If there is any more info to add I will post it here, and that goes for anyone else who has more information, feel free to add it.
Holidays/End of year palm sale
By Joe palma
A bunch of palms that have been discounted for the holidays and end of the year. If you don't see it, please call and inquire.
I do not ship.
Thanks for looking!!
Discovery Island Palms, San Marcos, CA
Ptychosperma elegans, 5g, $25, these are actually pretty old plants even though they don't look it
Palm Beach Palm & Cycad Society - Spring '16 Sale - Mounts B.G.
Palm Beach Palm & Cycad Society
Society website - Link: Palm Beach Palm & Cycad Society
Spring Sale - Mounts Botanical Garden
March 19th & 20th, 2016
The palm sales of the Palm Beach Palm & Cycad Society have been a fixture in S. Florida for many, many years. Some of my first palms were bought at a Palm Beach Sale, and the same is true for many other palm aficionados. The sale has changed location a few times but their location at Mounts seems to work well for everyone. I was with Jeff Searle as a vendor at the sale, one of thirteen, to fill the sales area with a diverse selection of palms and cycads. I took a small amount of photos, both in and out of, the sales area. Conversations varied a great deal, with a lot of talk centering on Cuba. The palms of Cuba, traveling to the island, the future of the island's palm species, etc. There was buzz about the next Biennial being in Cuba, but nothing confirmed that I know about. On to the sale.
Saturday, March 19th, morning...
- 8:45AM - The first morning of a palm sale. There is never a feeling quite like it. I had just finished setting up the signs in the booth when the camera came out. I did my routine photo record of the booth layout then went to see what was going on. Front corner of the booth...
- ... opposite side. The other vendors were doing similar setup routines.
- The Society tent, checkout and entrance area. The society volunteers were ready to go, with a few minutes left until the sale opened, officially.
- Early customers had wandered in as we were setting up.
The 17th Annual Fall 'Ganza - Enabling the Palm Addiction in S. Florida
Searle Brothers Nursery, Inc. &
The Rainforest Collection®
The 17th Annual Fall Plant Extravaganza!
October 2nd, 3rd, 4th - 9th, 10th, 11th - 2015
October 2nd, Friday morning
The morning of a tropical palm & plant sale. There is nothing quite like it when it comes to stirring up excitement, emotions and plant-induced fervor. I think it is a universal feeling shared around the world when it comes to experiencing the driving force to both showcase unusual species and the search and the desire to procure them. The nursery received an unusual amount of heavy rainfall two weeks prior to the sale and luckily, it was anticipated. The set-up for the 'Ganza was started early so everything could be made ready in the advance of any 'unexpected' events. Like with most fall sales, the availability of species was at a high point. With Palms alone, there were 374 species, varieties and forms spanning different sections of the sales area. They comprised a selection that almost broke the record for an Extravaganza, with close to 500 different size groups, showcasing an in-depth degree of production. A few species were available in four different sizes, for example. With all the plants tagged and ready, signs out, etc. the sales area was ready for customers, and they came in force...
- 7:54AM - We all arrived early on Friday morning to get everything ready, pull some last minute plants, place some last second signage and straighten a plant or two. It was a few minutes before we opened and everyone took their positions. Andrea and Kathy talk while 'Pops' moves his golf cart out of the way.
- 7:58AM - Jeff brings his golf cart around and Andrea and I hop on for the ride to the gate. We are seen approaching the gate, so customers exit their vehicles and spread the word that we were coming. A few finish their coffees and stow their phones as they prepare for the speed walk. The skies were overcast with a chance of rain but we figured any heavy rain would be due later in the day, if at all.
- 7:59AM - We reached the gate and everyone took their positions as Jeff turned the golf cart around...
- 7:59AM - Jeff and Andrea greet everyone as Andrea pulls the chain through and opens the gate. The customers pour through almost overtaking Jeff before he could get back to the golf cart.
Which South FL Palm Sale Are You Going to Mar 28-29, 2015
By Loxahatchee Adam
Which palm sale are you going to? Since they're on the same weekend this year.