IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

War of Attrition......Palm Fronds !

greysrigging

What does everyone do with their garden waste in particular palm fronds ? And which species/variety is the messiest ? 

17952806_1674626325887463_8985637832088232318_n.jpg

18010775_1674626229220806_2979982873568955403_n.jpg

18033296_1674626299220799_218401023029187550_n.jpg

18033443_1674626269220802_5875249231567289138_n.jpg

• Upvote 4

I use the fronds as mulch in most of the garden as the look can be a bit untidy. I cut the frond into smaller segments then spread them around minus the leaf sheath which goes to the green dump. This really helps keep down the weeds and the need for chemical control. I've got hundreds of palms, so the supply is almost unlimited.

In my garden, Clinostigma was by far the worst because of the size, weight, and frequency of frond drop, with Bactris gasipaes a close second just from shear volume. These palms were removed earlier this month partly because of this reason, but primarily from not being planted in an optimum spot.

Trust me, I don't miss them at all and it makes my life easier.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

I don't know which are the messiest, I guess it depends on what you mean by messy.

Acrocomias with their spines are a nuisance, for sure. Ditto for massive Roystoneas crashing to earth.

I deal with them in a variety of ways: (a) burn in fireplace; (b) use in BBQ grill in lieu of fire-starter; (c) throw in trash; (d) put on Craigslist to give away. (Some people use them for things, like "grass skirts" palapa roofs, etc.)

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Occasionally cut them into small pieces, but mostly just put them in the green waste!

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

So far I just pile them into an unused corner of the yard but I'm not sure what I'll do once that becomes unmanageable. With a bigger yard I think I'd just have a devoted composting spot for the fronds. I like the philosophy of never exporting yard waste, only importing it (in the form of mulch). With as sandy as my soil is, it seems silly to throw away potential mulch.

• Upvote 1

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

They seem to take forever to break down.....

I have in the past stockpiled my fronds into a huge pile.....but we have a native bird called the Orange Footed Scrub Fowl which is a mound builder and stockpiles of fronds seems to be the ideal base for these feathered fiends to take up residence in ones back yard and then scratch up a massive nest mound. I used to think having them in my suburban back yard was kinda cool.....but not any more....lol ....they are the Avian equivalent of a D7 bulldozer. My suburban jungle back yard mimics their native habitat 

https://www.experiencethewild.com.au/?p=Wildlife-Orange-footed-Scrubfowl

My messiest palm is definitely the Darwin region native Carpentaria Acuminata 

http://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/Carpentaria_acuminata

Constant frond drop particularly in the 'dry season'. Also prolific seeding producing massive amounts of seeds that attract fruit bats, Torres Straight Pigeons and bush rats.  The fruit bat poop is highly corrosive and can and does strip paint off the walls of ones house and car duco. The Carpy is an attractive palm that is simple to grow in Darwin and there are thousands out there in suburban cultivation.....but.....if I could turn back time,,, ( apologies to Cher )

Golden Canes are also messy and yes, the size of the Cuban Royal fronds falling earthward is a bit dangerous to cars parked in my driveway

The big Corphya Utan in my back yard has massive fronds and they have spiky stems......rotten things draw blood every time I  handle them...lol !

Another mongrel frond to handle is the African Oil Palm ( Elaesis Guineesnsis ). I take care loading them in the trailer but then forget about then when unloading and always get spiked by the bloody things !

12 hours ago, Zeeth said:

So far I just pile them into an unused corner of the yard but I'm not sure what I'll do once that becomes unmanageable. With a bigger yard I think I'd just have a devoted composting spot for the fronds. I like the philosophy of never exporting yard waste, only importing it (in the form of mulch). With as sandy as my soil is, it seems silly to throw away potential mulch.

They do take forever to break down. I don't like the idea of a huge frond pile as it's an ideal spot for RATS! ugh I hate rats. My property is about 800ft deep to the road, with hundreds of fronds falling in any given month my strategy is to put the ones in the front out for pickup (yard waste recycling), the ones in the rear I burn on a weekly basis. My biggest offender is royals, they are huge and I really have to many. Dragging dozens of royal fronds daily to the curb was just to much work. 

• Upvote 1

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

1 hour ago, redant said:

They do take forever to break down. I don't like the idea of a huge frond pile as it's an ideal spot for RATS! ugh I hate rats. My property is about 800ft deep to the road, with hundreds of fronds falling in any given month my strategy is to put the ones in the front out for pickup (yard waste recycling), the ones in the rear I burn on a weekly basis. My biggest offender is royals, they are huge and I really have to many. Dragging dozens of royal fronds daily to the curb was just to much work. 

Shredding them makes them break down much faster. I suppose you can trap for rats.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I’m going to agree with Royals and my Bismarckia coming in a close second. Wow those things are huge. 

I have even descended to the depths of frond despair......using my son's 1976 Datsun 1200 Ute for trips to the dump.

ialQor8h.jpg

QPWJabjh.jpg

2ilAQQFh.jpg

• Upvote 5

18 minutes ago, greysrigging said:

I have even descended to the depths of frond despair......using my son's 1976 Datsun 1200 Ute for trips to the dump.

ialQor8h.jpg

QPWJabjh.jpg

2ilAQQFh.jpg

That truly bespeaks despair!

22 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

Shredding them makes them break down much faster. I suppose you can trap for rats.

Nothing will shred royal fronds other then an industrial shredder, I have over 100 royals. I know you have 1 or 2, times that by 100 or 50.  And rats are so smart, you may trap a couple but they learn fast, they even learn not to eat poison (I use in protected rat box's)  

Edited by redant

Jupiter FL

1 hour ago, redant said:

Nothing will shred royal fronds other then an industrial shredder, I have over 100 royals. I know you have 1 or 2, times that by 100 or 50.  And rats are so smart, you may trap a couple but they learn fast, they even learn not to eat poison (I use in protected rat box's)  

Okay. 100 Royals. Dear God.

I have 8 Royals. Small taters, for sure.

Give Celine a shriek for me . . . .

How about a picture for all of us? Allow us to feast our eyes? My crying towels are all dried and ready to go.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, redant said:

Correct.....same with Carpentaria fronds......only an industrial shredder will touch 'em !  And I have about 100 of them too, so therefore endless trips to the local dump....haha

pPhMX8O.jpg

xXZ1n48h.jpg

• Upvote 2

There are 3 areas in the jungle part of my property where I haul the downed fronds and many wheelbarrow loads of weeds.  As a part-time resident, the piles can get really high during my stay, as high as the eye of an elephant.  Then I leave, and upon my return, the piles are barely knee high, probably due to the frequent rains.  The oldest pile has created some nice humus and kept the big weeds away, soon to be a prime planting area for shade loving palms. Nature does the decomposition for me.

Messiest palm? The Areca vestiaria path, simply due to the large number of individuals contributing debris!

• Upvote 2

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

My garden waste goes to the compost pile except palm fronds. The supple way out strips the time to compost fronds so i usually burn them. Now that we are developing the last part of our property burning them will no longer be an option. Hauling them away might be my only option. 

My messiest palm are the the ones that drop tons of flowers and seed. I find it much easier to clean up palm fronds then seeds. 

18n. Hot, humid and salty coastal conditions.

21 hours ago, redant said:

Good points. One thing that I think is interesting is that if you go to the Fakahatchee where royals are wild, you don't see that many fronds on the ground. I wonder if all that moisture helps keep them in check, because it has also been my experience that palm fronds are slow to decompose.

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2017‎ ‎7‎:‎24‎:‎09‎, Zeeth said:

Good points. One thing that I think is interesting is that if you go to the Fakahatchee where royals are wild, you don't see that many fronds on the ground. I wonder if all that moisture helps keep them in check, because it has also been my experience that palm fronds are slow to decompose.

Fire makes them decompose really fast!

Jupiter FL

On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2017‎ ‎12‎:‎01‎:‎45‎, DoomsDave said:

Okay. 100 Royals. Dear God.

I have 8 Royals. Small taters, for sure.

Give Celine a shriek for me . . . .

How about a picture for all of us? Allow us to feast our eyes? My crying towels are all dried and ready to go.

Yeah I frequently say Dear god as well, really 100 is just to many. When any die they do not get replaced.  Maybe get a rooftop shot later today.

Jupiter FL

Just now, redant said:

Yeah I frequently say Dear god as well, really 100 is just to many. When any die they do not get replaced.  Maybe get a rooftop shot later today.

That will be EPIC. That shriek you hear will not be Celine . . . .

I have 3 "compost" piles in the outer areas. They don't really break down though because of our dry climate. All the fronds in the main garden get chopped up and put in the green bin to go to the city compost heap. Fronds are the only green thing that goes out. All the regular branches get cut up and mulched in place. 

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

7 minutes ago, MattyB said:

I have 3 "compost" piles in the outer areas. They don't really break down though because of our dry climate. All the fronds in the main garden get chopped up and put in the green bin to go to the city compost heap. Fronds are the only green thing that goes out. All the regular branches get cut up and mulched in place. 

I've given up on composting here as well. Too dry, takes up too much time. I have a small 2HP electric shredder which takes care of pinnate leaves (which I have to cut off from the rachis by hand), and small palmate fronds. It doesn't do petioles too well so I put those in the green waste container- looks like a bunch of spears sticking out of the top of the can.

I USED to have a really good setup! My family had some rural land down the way and I could contribute everything to a brush pile that would get burned in the winter (surprising given bay area bureaucratic attitudes). The land is being sold to contribute to suburban sprawl so now that's out- darn.

• Upvote 1

Oakley, California

55 Miles E-NE of San Francisco, CA

Solid zone 9, I can expect at least one night in the mid to low twenties every year.

Hot, dry summers. Cold, wet winters.

I do lots of things to get rid of leaves.

A couple of times I put some on Craigslist and people came and got them. One joined the PSSC. (That's a bit of work, though.)

They burn great in teh fireplace or on BBQ.

They can be buried and, kept moist (plants planted over them) will rot rapidly.

They can be shredded, and used as coarse mulch, though it's no substitute for dicot wood chips.

On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2017‎ ‎2‎:‎00‎:‎35‎, Kim said:

There are 3 areas in the jungle part of my property where I haul the downed fronds and many wheelbarrow loads of weeds.  As a part-time resident, the piles can get really high during my stay, as high as the eye of an elephant.  Then I leave, and upon my return, the piles are barely knee high, probably due to the frequent rains.  The oldest pile has created some nice humus and kept the big weeds away, soon to be a prime planting area for shade loving palms. Nature does the decomposition for me.

Messiest palm? The Areca vestiaria path, simply due to the large number of individuals contributing debris!

And you're judging this how Kim??? I know Timothy Olyphant's been seen in the Islands but....

8 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

That will be EPIC. That shriek you hear will not be Celine . . . .

You can only make out a fraction of the royals due to the slope of the back yard, yes truly I have a slope in my FL yard :)

IMG_2689.JPG

IMG_2690.JPG

IMG_2691.JPG

IMG_2692.JPG

IMG_2693.JPG

• Upvote 5

Jupiter FL

3 hours ago, Gonzer said:

And you're judging this how Kim??? I know Timothy Olyphant's been seen in the Islands but....

:D Gonzer, I haven't had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Olyphant, but I read he is about 6' tall, not quite the proportions of an Asian elephant perhaps 8 to 10 ft. in height, putting the eye in the 7 to 8 ft. range.  Definitely overhead, as shown below.  

But if you really want to know, why don't you and the missus come to Hawaii and see for yourselves?  I'll show you my compost heap... 

18056003_1376590552362140_50175081784059

Photo by Daryl O'Connor

• Upvote 3

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

2 hours ago, redant said:

You can only make out a fraction of the royals due to the slope of the back yard, yes truly I have a slope in my FL yard :)

IMG_2689.JPG

IMG_2690.JPG

IMG_2691.JPG

IMG_2692.JPG

IMG_2693.JPG

Beautiful sight

• Upvote 2

Rio_Grande.gif

I graciously donate all my palm fronds to the vacant acre next to me. :lol: And Clinostigma samoense fronds and large Dypsis fronds are the heaviest, even though I wouldn't call them "messy".

• Upvote 1

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

• 2 weeks later...

May in Darwin ( Northern Territory of Australia ) is the first of our 'Dry Season' months. I average about 20mm or 3/4" rain but most years are rainless or one or two showers at best. We have enjoyed our 3rd wettest 'Wet' on record with every month since Sept last year being above average. Around 2450mm at my place ( just shy of 100" ) So when the rain stops abruptly ( as it has in the last fortnight ) the palms in my yard go into 'full on shed my fronds' mode.

This is my weekend activities for the next few weeks as the palm garden adjusts to a dryer regime.

5Lh8qoZh.jpg

• Upvote 4

Pics like that make me think of retiring in Hobart. :-)

• Upvote 1

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

• 2 weeks later...

Why oh why did I think a Corphya Utan was suitable in a suburban house block ?

The fronds are huge !

cU0lvYSh.jpg

SbMua2Fh.jpg

Bigger than my trailer....haha

GVS41UAh.jpg

lK8aY1fh.jpg

qhopTpfh.jpg

ilwXn4Rh.jpg

• Upvote 2

I just cut them up and use as mulch.  The fronds rot faster than they grow in my cool damp climate so there's never a problem of build up!

I burn them, use ashes here and there in the garden

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages