IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sbal Minor or Pritchardia hillebrandii

Mohsen

I just get rid of a dried plant and now I have room to plant one palm, I dont want something tall and fast growing as there is roof limiting the height ...

I am thinking between Sabal Minor and Pritchardia hillebrandii...this is north face of the house and most of the day full sun...I prefer Pritchardia hillebrandii but only if it can make it there,

what do you think?

IMG_9975.JPG

IMG_9974.JPG

IMG_9973.JPG

IMG_9972.JPG

I have both. The minor is nice & slow & somewhat manageable in size. The "right" variation also has nice, big flat leaves as well which look really cool. Imo the hillibrandii will get really big, really fast if it's happy. But it seems like it's maybe too much palm for the space available there. Choices, choices!

• Upvote 1

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

45 minutes ago, quaman58 said:

I have both. The minor is nice & slow & somewhat manageable in size. The "right" variation also has nice, big flat leaves as well which look really cool. Imo the hillibrandii will get really big, really fast if it's happy. But it seems like it's maybe too much palm for the space available there. Choices, choices!

Thanks Bret

is P.Hillibrandii OK with full sun too?

Mohsen,

If you have a bit of humidity, it will do fine. These Hawaiian Pritchardias vary in their sun tolerance, but looking at where hillibrandii grows in Don Hodel's Pritchardia book, (Huelo islet, I think) they're being blasted by sun for much of the day.

• Upvote 1

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

Against the house: Sabal minor. Out in the yard: Pritchardia.

• Upvote 3

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

I'd go with Sabal Minor, but I'm biased. :)

• Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Sabal Minor will definitely stay smaller.  Up against the house, this is the better choice.

• Upvote 1

Look at this from another aspect, which one can stay alive and happy longer in pot( will do repotting if needed ) as one of them should go in ground there and the other stay in pot for a long time :(  how about now , still S.Minor is better choice to go to ground there ?

1 hour ago, richnorm said:

In general I would say Pritchardia are happier than Sabal in containers. 

Thanks for the confirmation 

so it's decided , will put the Sabal Minor in the there this weekend :) 

• Upvote 1

On 4/18/2017, 6:09:59, Mohsen said:

IMG_9975.JPG

IMG_9974.JPG

IMG_9973.JPG

IMG_9972.JPG

Looking at your photos and the proximity to the house, and specifically the window, I would want to pull it out from the house as much as possible.  Doesn't matter which one you plant, I just think they will look better without the backside fronds pressed up against the window as it gets larger.  I think it will look better from inside too if its pulled out a little.  Either one will be attractive to look out on!

• Upvote 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation