IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

colombia

OB Burt

Has the date been set for the 2018 biennial? I've heard May or June, I would like to know the exact time frame as there is a competing wine trip at about the same time

burt repine

• 1 year later...

Some pics at the Quindio Botanical Garden

DSCN0415.JPG

• Upvote 1

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

DSCN0417.JPG

• Upvote 1

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

Chalar, Geonoma undata [low land form]

DSCN0419.JPG

• Upvote 2

Every time I try to upload 2 pictures this message appears '' You are only allowed to upload 8mb. ''

Looks a little like the brazilian ´´saí-andorinha´´.It´s probably a close relative.

DSCN0364.JPG

Edited by Alberto
  • Upvote 2

Hummingbirds, american flying jewels.

DSCN0438.JPG

• Upvote 4

Town of Salento, a foggy , humid and cold morning

DSCN0482.JPG

• Upvote 2

DSCN0704.JPG

• Upvote 3

It was my plan to post this pics in the topic that Kim beganhe topic that Kim began, but  now I see they are in the ''wrong'' thread

''you never forget your first Ceroxylon in habitat''

DSCN0638.JPG

• Upvote 2

Would it be difficult to move this pics to Kim´s topic, 

DSCN0671.JPG

• Upvote 2

I posted some of my Colombian biennial photos on Facebook, thought I'd share a few with PalmTalkers. Fisrt is when we stopped for a few moments on the 3-hour jeep ride to the Tochecito site to see wax palms (Ceroxylon quindiuense):

5b2e9080efde2_Day2-07-Lookingatstoppedje

Saw these orchids on hillside faces along the trail. Don't know the species, but the leaves were like hard plastic. I understand that flowers appear on the surface of the leaves near the distal end.

5b2e9084a8f96_Day2-10-Unknownorchidspeci

Second wax palm day. Easier 45-min jeep ride on paved road, then a mile hike along this muddy trail. Some went further up the mountain to get up-close pictures.

5b2e9088a8793_Day3-02-TreckingtosecondCe

Used my telephoto to get a closer shot of the crown of a C. quindiuense:

5b2e908b7d2b2_Day3-06-CloseupofcrownofCe

I became enamored of the concept of living in the environment of alpine meadows surrounded by wax palms. Here are three shots to show this, the first one seemed to be under construction or enlargement:

5b2e908e969f2_Day3-08-Homeunderconstruct

5b2e909293139_Day3-09-MountainhomewithCe

5b2e9095b0846_Day3-09-MountainhomewithCe

More later.

• Upvote 2

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

Beautiful pictures. Nature is a wonderful gift, if only some others would learn to appreciate it as it has been given.

Mark

Here are a few more. First up is a huge Manicaria. These monsters loomed out of the bush along pathways.

Day4-04-Manicaria_2.thumb.JPG.fbf3b56fa2

Then we saw a species I had never heard of, Mauritiella macroclada. Here is a small one (nice leaves), and then a larger one looms behind a Euterpe oleracea.

5b2ff33069900_Day4-16-Mauritiellamacrocl

5b2ff32cd20ed_Day4-15-Mauritiellamacrocl

One of the giants of the forest was Oenocarpus bataua:

5b2ff2deafb4e_Day4-20-Oenocarpusbataua.t

A moderate-sized palm with large simple leaves, Geonoma cuneatum, emerges among smaller vegetation.

5b2ff370d91c8_Day5-05-Geonomacuneatum.th

We stopped for a bite of lunch in the launches. A local Colombian recipe was served in banana leaves:

5b2ff2e19e05b_Day4-21-launchatlunchsite.

Still more later.

• Upvote 2

Mike Merritt

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

A few more, especially intended fort rare palm lovers. First is Oenocarpus minor. This is Kim's picture, and I think it was taken from a walkway near the lodging at Ladrilleros:

5b330480783ff_Oenocarpusminor_Kim.thumb.

A monster palm that loomed over the trail out of the brush but was difficult to photograph, was Ammandra decasperma. Our guide was excited to find a male fruit bract:

5b3304634247a_Day5-02-Ammandradecasperma

5b330466572e5_Day5-06-Ammandradecasperma

A few of us were taken to see a rare acaulescent Attalea, A. cuatrecasana. This is said to have the third largest fruit in the palm world, after Lodoecia and Cocos. I think Mauricio Caixeta has already posted pics of this one, but these are the ones I took:

5b3304699c456_Day5-09-Attaleacuatrecasan

5b33046ecccfe_Day5-10-Attaleacuatrecasan

5b330471dc5a5_Day5-11-Attaleacuatrecasan

5b330474ecc23_Day5-12-Attaleacuatrecasan

• Upvote 1

Mike Merritt

This is a micro orchid of the genus Pleurothalis sp

. There are some species of the same genus here in Brazil, similar to this one

5b2e908496c48_Day2-10-Unknownorchidspecies.JPG.80f5f0fcae709b7a5627ae2205e60bdc.JPG

My thanks to Alberto for the ID of the orchid species.

I'll finish with some pics of a species that I didn't get to see in person, just wasn't in the right place when a group was taken to see it. The species is Chelyocarpus dianeurus. First is a photo of the palm in habitat, taken by Rick Hawkins and probably already posted.

5b33e0c2c7876_Chelyocarpusdianeurus_habi

I did take pictures of the upper and lower sides of a leaf brought back to the village. Not the prominent silvery look of the underside.

5b33e14b04950_Day5-13-Chelyocarpusdianeu

5b33e0d560844_Day5-14-Chelyocarpusdianeu

Finally, after all the trekking through mud, hillsides, dodging snakes, climbing in and out of launches, there came a time to rest. The following pic was not posed, just a random natural composition, but I don't see how I could have composed it better.

5b33e0c9e0acc_Day4-30-Restingafterahardd

Aloha

• Upvote 1

Mike Merritt

My wife Nelly and me 

P_20180530_100925_BF.jpg

Not sure about the species of this collorfull young leaves. Second Asterogyne sp

P_20180530_105855_vHDR_On.jpg

P_20180530_111118_vHDR_On.jpg

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Alberto said:

Not sure about the species of this collorfull young leaves.

P_20180530_105855_vHDR_On.jpg

P_20180530_111118_vHDR_On.jpg

First : Welfia regia.

Caixeta

Leaves and base of the same palm, Attalea ?

P_20180530_113946.jpg

P_20180530_114013.jpg

• Upvote 1

Our brazilian palm friend  Maurício Caixeta looking up. Julie and Eduardo resting somewhat.

P_20180530_114533.jpg

P_20180530_114447.jpg

P_20180530_115006.jpg

P_20180530_114127.jpg

Plenty of all kinds of other plants like aroids, orchids, cycads, etc Second pic is a Bactris sp

P_20180530_135810_vHDR_On.jpg

P_20180530_141237_vHDR_On.jpg

P_20180530_135912_vHDR_On.jpg

P_20180530_132641_vHDR_On.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1