IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What's wrong with my Coccothrinax?

GMann

Here's a picture of my Coccothrinax. Most of the leaves are all brown and scraggly looking. Though the spear and the newest leaf that has started emerging still look healthy.

This is some sort of Coccothrinax hybrid but I think it looks most like Macroglossa. It has been planted for about a year and seemed to be doing fine until a month or so ago.

What could be the problem? Too much sun? lack of water? fertilizer? Is it planted too high. Should I replace the stones around the base with mulch?

IMG_0977.JPG

PalmSavannaThumb.jpg

Doubtful it's too much sun if it's been planted for a year.  Cocos love full sun.  

• Upvote 1

Lack of water...  

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

• Upvote 1

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

I was thinking lack of water too. These palms are drought tolerant not drought resistant. Even with irrigation 2x/week I have palms in my back yard jungle with frond die-back. Tonight I spent over an hour hand watering. Next week Cape Coral drops me to 1x/week irrigation. I will be watering like crazy. FL is in a terrible drought and needs rain desperately.

• Upvote 2

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Lack of water. 

• Upvote 1

Paradise Hills, 4 miles inland, south facing slope in the back, north facing yard in the front

I am not sure it is lack of water, look at the grass around the palm, still green. I would think the grass would be brown if this palm was not being watered. Here in Cape Coral, you can really tell who waters and who does not especially with the bad drought we are in, the lawns are totally fried. Almost looks like a chemical burn, or herbicide? 

• Upvote 2

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

I would bet that is fertilizer burn. Look at how green the grass is just to the left. Good thing is, it survived, and should power right out of it. Try a little lighter dose, and spread it out a little more.

• Upvote 1

My two Coccothrinaxes and a Coccothrinax-Zombia hybrid have thrived on neglect.  I wonder whether there might have been a short dry spell--it might not yet have its full root system. 

My only "fertilizer burn" problem resulted from trying to correct an Archontophoenix's problems with what turned out to be too much epson salts and borax.  Even a native shrub next to the palm was harmed.  

• Upvote 1

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

Rootball from original planting may be somewhat "water resistant" if it contained a lot of peat.New roots probably have not established yet.Drag the hose over and let it drip next to trunk for several hours to get the rootball wet.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year