Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Palm Cascade new fronds dying

10 posts in this topic

Hello everyone, new member here.

I have a potted palm cascade indoors which i got about a monh ago.  temp is around 65-70f inside and it is in a mix of roughly 1/4 perlite and 3/4 potting mix.

When I first bought the palm it had brown tips and it was in a 3G pot.  after repotting new fronds skyrocketed and opened up but quickly started to turn yellow than brown to simply dying and falling off.  The palm in general seems to have improved since i got it but I dont know what to do about this new fronds sprouting and dying after opening up.  There are quite a bit more that seem to about to open soon and would like to prevent them from dying if possible.

Any help, advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated

20170417_122817.thumb.jpg.e83a0c1cef088720170417_122807.thumb.jpg.6a934f26872d5c20170417_122746.thumb.jpg.d0ea9896ea172d20170417_122726.thumb.jpg.11eee39fceacee

Looks like Chamaedorea cataractarum, aka cat palm. How much light does it get? The room seems awfully dark. How often do you water it? In habitat, cat palms often grow on stream banks. What is the humidity? Most homes are too dark and cold for most palms. Do you have close photos of the damage you describe?

Sorry if this is a ridiculous question, but are you confusing the flowers for dying fronds?  Otherwise I agree with Meg, that plant looks like it is doing great.

That was not a ridiculous question at all, looking at other pictures of flowers I think that's what they are...  I think they really are flowers and not fronds but than again I'm new

I never owned plants before so I'm new to this.

As for habitat, i probably water it twice a week.  I water it evenly and once the water starts to drain and has been collected i remove it.  I usually stick my finger in the soil and once it feels dry and loosing moisture i water it again.  It doesn't get any direct sunlight, it's all indirect and about 8-10 hours a day this time of year.

I attached pictures of a brand new one coming out and ones dying

20170418_194401.jpg

20170418_194415.jpg

20170418_194427.jpg

20170418_194454.jpg

20170418_194512.jpg

Definitely flowers (inflorescence)   I have had mine push up and even open a couple, and they died within a day or two of opening. Likely because I let it dry out too much.  I water mine every day to every other day and vigorously.  They really are water hogs.    I have now moved mine outdoors onto my balcony corner  where the built in pot holder is. It gets 3 or so hours of very early morning direct sun each day. The rest is just bright day light.  It does very well here.

How long have you had yours?  If it is blooming, it is likely pretty happy!  

Wooo!!! I guess I have nothing to worry about anymore.  

I got it about 3 months in a small pot and it started doing really well after I put it in a  new pot about a month ago.

I've though about giving it more water but I'm scared to drown it.

I've also though about moving it outside so it gets some direct sunlight but I'm not sure at what temperature it's safe,  for those that have it in a balcony what's the temperature outside?  I live in south Vancouver island and the weather is usually all over the place but it's starting to get warm.

Edited by wordemup

Cat palms are one of the cold hardier Chamaedoreas with foliar damage around 25F. Mine in the ground took down to 28.5F with no damage at all. They also take half-day full FL summer sun, also with no damage, and stay dark green year round. Yours should take full BC sun with the proviso that you introduce it gradually to prevent sunburn after keeping it in a dark house over the winter.

Microspadix or Radicalis would be better for your climate. They sre hardy to the high teens without damage.

Mine as I said is also on an ENE facing balcony.  I leave it out unless I know the temp is going below 32F.    Mine has sailed through low 40s with zero problem at all.   It also takes some pretty gusty winds at times too, again with no issue what so ever. It seems extremely happy and always does its best when its outside on the corner built in planter holder on my balcony. It stays out there from April until usually the end of October.  I am in Northern VA and October is still a warm month here.  My zone may actually be colder than yours as I'm in 7A, though this winter was easily 7B for me.