IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Phoenix Sylvestris or is it a hydrid?

Montengro

Hi,

These are my brothers palm trees which he bought a few years ago.  They were sold to him as pure Phoenix Sylvestris, but are they a Phoenix Sylvestris hybrid mixed with some other palm? He is looking for a confirmation. Thanks. 

IMG_1839.PNG

• Upvote 3

If I came across them randomly, I would think of nice and pure sylvestris specimens.

Edited by Phoenikakias
  • Upvote 1

They look like pure Silvestris to me. By the way Sylvestris are the cheapest Phoenix palms you can get in South Florida, and hybrids are pretty rare.

So if they were hybrid with something else then your brother probably got a deal.

Edited by GMann

PalmSavannaThumb.jpg

I see so many palms that are supposed to be Phoenix sylvestris, but I also see variations in many of them. I have no opinion on your brother's palms because I'm no expert on P. sylvestris. That being said, they look like the best example  P. sylvestris that I see for sale.

But with regard to the Phoenix genus, many years ago I read in a palm book (copyrighted in 1964) at my county extension office where it stated that in the state of Florida one would be hard pressed to find any pure species in the Phoenix genus due to the easy hybridization of all the species in the genus. The book went on to say that most pure species Phoenix genus palm come from countries where they are endemic to.

Mad about palms

On 4/14/2017, 4:41:30, Walt said:

But with regard to the Phoenix genus, many years ago I read in a palm book (copyrighted in 1964) at my county extension office where it stated that in the state of Florida one would be hard pressed to find any pure species in the Phoenix genus due to the easy hybridization of all the species in the genus. The book went on to say that most pure species Phoenix genus palm come from countries where they are endemic to.

In the 60s that may well have been the case. The only obvious hybrids I see around South Florida are mature specimens on old lots that may well have been there for decades. I do not see many hybrids in new construction or in new suburbs. 

It is also possible that a lot of the Sylvestris sold today are less than 100% pure, there is some variation in the way they look, but I can usually tell them apart pretty easily from other types, unless they are really old.

PalmSavannaThumb.jpg

• 4 months later...
On 14. 04. 2017., Montengro said:

Hi,

These are my brothers palm trees which he bought a few years ago.  They were sold to him as pure Phoenix Sylvestris, but are they a Phoenix Sylvestris hybrid mixed with some other palm? He is looking for a confirmation. Thanks. 

IMG_1839.PNG

They look pure to me.