IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

new member and question

lower slower

Hi new member I live in southern delaware and have for the last couple years been adding a few cold hardy plants to my landscape. I want to find a dealer for a bigger waggie 3ft ish and now realize it is a bigger order than I first thought, any help would be great. THANKS

Hello there and welcome to PalmTalk!  You're in the right place for sure for some of the best info on Palms!   Love your handle btw.  The LSD - Lower Slower Delaware.  Haha! 

I'm pretty familiar with lower DE as I have vacationed in Rehoboth dozens and dozens of times if not more over the years.  I'm also very familiar with Long Neck (Pot Nets - Bayside).  Windmills are reasonably common in that area, and I know they are basically bullet proof there.  As far as Waggies, well I'm not sure where to get them as they are substantially less common. I know the big box stores like HD and Lowes do seasonally carry several varieties of cold hardy palms , and I seem to remember a couple of other nurseries along route 1 in ReHo, that carry many palms even larger ones.  They even carry things like Queens and Pigmy Date Palms and some very large sized ones I remember seeing.   

Palms that should do great for you are Windmills, Sabal Minor, Needle.  Those three should be bullet proof there.  Others that can do well with some protection are Pindo, Mediterranean Fan Palm, and Sago Palm (Cycas Revoluta).   Ive seen what appear to be Yucca Filamentosa get rather large there too, and Yucca Rostrata should do well as well.

Another company that you might check that I know of is Chilly Palm Tree.  Theyre located in either SC or NC ( I forget) but I know they do northern runs this time of year.  They can be found with a quick google search.     Hopefully some others will chime in and give more info than I can.   Keep us posted and post some photos! 

DCA PALM FAN thanks for the info I have been lurking around here for a while and its had def.sped up my learning curve I did talk to chilly palms and he only carries for fortunei . Gabrel growers out of florida has what I want but have not been able to get them to ship just 1. Any other ideas or contacts would be great thanks again.

dont forget sabal palmetto as they are hardier then pindo, washys and med fan palm and especially sagos

• Upvote 1

Southern Delaware is a solid 7B so chamerops, sago and sabal palmetto are going to need protection for rare weather occurrences. But, like Maryland and Virginia, our zones may be 7 but temps rarely drop bellow zone 8 levels and only for short periods of time. I wish Ocean City would learn a damn lesson and stop using majesty (correct me if Im wrong) and pigmy dates when trachycarpus would flourish there! Why replant every year when you can have flourishing palms??? Save tons of money and have them look better. But then again Ocean city is NOTORIOUS for neglecting their flora....just look at the yuccas they have everywhere. If they werent naturalized and spreading theyd have to be replanted due to neglect. 

DC tropics I think mentioned a few places that have fine trachycarpus specimens. :D

Edited by mdsonofthesouth

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

Thanks for all the insight I am kinda partial on the waggies and the search continues I did find some from realpalms.com but reviews keep me from pulling the trigger and experiences with them. THANKS

Are you interested in growing one up?

Oakley, California

55 Miles E-NE of San Francisco, CA

Solid zone 9, I can expect at least one night in the mid to low twenties every year.

Hot, dry summers. Cold, wet winters.

Lower slower! Welcome to PT!

I went to DE back in the 1970s with family to vacation (Rehoboth and Dewey Beach). Suspect it's changed a bit since then.

See my PM (Private message)!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Can also vouch for this grower as I was able to personally visit there and pick out my 7 gallon Waggie  and he had a few 7 gallon waggie/Fortunei cross as well. Now both in the ground here in Nebraska.

WOW thanks for all the advise and replies I took your advise and contacted gabriel growers and he has 2 7 gallon waggie headed my way is there any recomandations for a newbie planting them outdoors.

13 hours ago, lower slower said:

WOW thanks for all the advise and replies I took your advise and contacted gabriel growers and he has 2 7 gallon waggie headed my way is there any recomandations for a newbie planting them outdoors.

Awesome!   I told you you were in the right place!:greenthumb:     Keep us updated and post pics when they come and when you plant!   You will def want to protect them for the first year or two.  

i will protect them the 1st 2 years and is there anything I should add  to the soil or the plant itself.

I know its not what you are looking for but Home Depot in Salisbury has Windmills and European Fan palms for ~$25 I think they were about 7 gallon.  

Home Depot in Berlin also has some smaller ones in blue pots for the same price.

On 4/19/2017, 9:20:32, MDPalm said:

I know its not what you are looking for but Home Depot in Salisbury has Windmills and European Fan palms for ~$25 I think they were about 7 gallon.  

Home Depot in Berlin also has some smaller ones in blue pots for the same price.

I can also vouch for these HD palms. I have a chamerops humilis thats been in the ground since last year and it grew all through winter while only getting serious protection a few times here in the piedmont. I now have 7 trachycarpus fortunei in the ground and even a livistona chininses (albeit being 5+ palms in a clump that I havent separated).

On 4/19/2017, 4:53:09, lower slower said:

i will protect them the 1st 2 years and is there anything I should add  to the soil or the plant itself.

From my short time planting marginals protection is key! Dont need anything crazy for a waggie on the eastern shore in my opinion so long as it's maintained and cared for. As far as soil goes Im pretty sure your soil will be very well draining so honestly maybe some quality garden soil (thats what I use to help amend my rock utisol clay). I also lightly use a slow release 10:10:10 fertilizer that I use for my yucca gloriosa lonestars that seems to help. My trachycarpus have been in the ground for just over a month and they seem really established and healthy, but also its been noted to NOT use fertilzer on plantation. I do and it seems to work for me. One thing I prefer not to use is root inhibitors, wife got some crepes, bulletproof here, and insisted on doing what the place told her to do over what I wanted to do and 1 outright died and another looks very weak with the 3rd looking OK. But then again take my words with a grain of salt as Im no master gardener, rather just a subtropical enthusiast!

Good luck with the waggies! 

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto