IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dypsis sp. bejouf seed germination - question about its first shot

palmfriend

Hello there,

I have ordered some Dypsis sp. bejouf seeds from rps - checking them almost daily because

I am a little afraid about mould - and today, when I opened the box, I found this....

005x.thumb.jpg.03b1710daf62f66e7c56d67f1

And here a closer look...

006x.thumb.jpg.961e9be24ffd8c6f124d24822

It seems, that the first shot came out and straight went up - not down - and hit the cap of the box - within 24hours!

I did what I thought might be the best and planted it in a pot with soil for seedlings...

007x.thumb.jpg.e091a33604b8553999d4a8170

...in the same position and now I am hoping for the best.

Question: The top of the shot seemed a bit distorted - so, has anyone any advice how

to proceed from here or any experiences with this species at all?

(Of course, the remaining seeds are now placed with much more space above them...)

Any advice/comment is really appreciated -

best regards

palmfriend

• Upvote 1

I hate to put a damper on your parade, but I think that's a mushroom and not a sprout. :(

• Upvote 6

Warrior Palm Princess, Satellite Beach, Florida

23 hours ago, NatureGirl said:

I hate to put a damper on your parade, but...

Oh no, that is all OK - I was actually asking for being advised in this matter, so thank you very much!

Mistaking a mushroom for a sprout...wow, I guess that puts me back to the absolute beginner level....:blush:

However, thanks again,

Best regards

• Upvote 1

We've all been beginners and no question or observation is too elementary for this forum. 

Good luck on the germination of your seed, the brain pattern is so cool, beautiful palm too.

Tim

• Upvote 3

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

4 hours ago, realarch said:

We've all been beginners and no question or observation is too elementary for this forum. 

Good luck on the germination of your seed, the brain pattern is so cool, beautiful palm too.

Tim

Tim,

Thank you very much for your kind and encouraging words - I am looking forward to the moment when the first real shot will come

out! :rolleyes:

And yes, these seeds have indeed a striking pattern - I am always looking at them the longest when checking my seeds in their boxes.

best regards

Lars

These will take at least 6 months to germinate, by all means keep checking them regularly but do not be dis heartened if you don't see any sprouts in the near future 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Kennybenjamin said:

These will take at least 6 months to germinate, by all means keep checking them regularly but do not be dis heartened if you don't see any sprouts in the near future 

Will do - and thank you very much for providing a time frame. 

I guess I am going to express my excitement here on PT when "something happens". B)

best regards

I took 15 months for me to get the first sprout. Possibly the lack of real heat here in Hawaii. True bejofo seeds began sprouting after 6 months.

• Upvote 2

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

Yes, agree with Mike. I know from experience that these can take a long time so don't be discouraged if a year goes by and nothing seems to happen. 15 or even 18 months probably not unrealistic.

• Upvote 1

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Thank you very much to all of you! :greenthumb:  I think I got a good impression now how much time it will probably take until the

first sprout, so no need to check the seeds daily or weekly. I will just keep a closer eye on the box to be sure that

there is no mould - waiting a year or longer is no problem, my Jubea seeds started to germinate after one year and

the last seeds jumped into life after three...

Thank you very much again,

best regards

Sheesh, I knew these were slow, but until I started looking at past photos I never realized just how much. 

1st photo of the fresh seed back in November 2013

Next two photos in July of 2015 showing germination and some of the faster ones potted up.

The last two were taken today of one of the few survivors. I guess I need to update my will. 

Tim

IMG_6546.jpg

P1000828.jpg

P1000829.jpg

P1010341.jpg

P1010338.jpg

• Upvote 4

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

23 minutes ago, realarch said:

Sheesh, I knew these were slow, but until I started looking at past photos I never realized just how much. 

1st photo of the fresh seed back in November 2013

Next two photos in July of 2015 showing germination and some of the faster ones potted up.

The last two were taken today of one of the few survivors. I guess I need to update my will. 

Tim

P1000828.jpg

P1010338.jpg

Tim,

Thank you very very much for your time with this thread - such great pieces of information, not to mention those beautiful photos!

best regards

Lars

Thanks for the detailed decriptions Pal, more education is always good.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

• 7 months later...

Hello there,

after half a year of regularly checking my seeds I think I got some "real" development - no mushrooms - over here...-

and after all those kind and encouraging replies after my "misinterpretation" I thought I should let you know:

001x.thumb.jpg.cffc1f28eb13c842d60e820bd

and closer:

002x.thumb.jpg.40a0a6dfe0f583de405a448aa

I think (this time;)) it looks good: - So, "Dypsis sp. Bejouf/Bejofa, welcome to Okinawa! I will do my very best to provide you guys a good home!"

best regards

Lars

• Upvote 2