IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Protecting The Trunk Of My Green Malayan Coconut Palm From A Cat?

Mr. Coconut Palm

Here are a couple of photos of how I am trying to protect my Green Malayan Dwarf Coconut Palm from what I think is a cat that has been scratching its claws on the trunk.  I hope the damage is only cosmetic.

Image may contain: tree, plant, outdoor and nature

• Upvote 2

That's a great idea. I may have to do the same thing for my washies.  The cats love scratching them to shreds...:( 

• Upvote 1

El_Dorado.gif

Hmm.

I have some palms that have scratch marks, from the cats climbing them before they got eaten by coyotes. Archies, about halfway up the present trunks, which were about half as tall as they are now.

As long as we're on the subject, cats and palms can get along well, in that palms are like grasses and cats like to eat grass. So you need to protect the palms sometimes, especially when they're really small.

Below is a picture of Great Great Grandma, who appreciates the warmth of the plastic mini-greenhouses, and hungrily eyes sprouting Roystonea borenquenia underneath. They also like to nibble the dead palm leaves I save for the fireplace!

GGM.png.edb3fdabb922895f2c551fc4cc8c663a

• Upvote 3

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

20 hours ago, jfrye01@live.com said:

That's a great idea. I may have to do the same thing for my washies.  The cats love scratching them to shreds...:( 

Yeah the trunk on my coconut palm looked okay until a cat started scratching it a few months ago.

4 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

Hmm.

I have some palms that have scratch marks, from the cats climbing them before they got eaten by coyotes. Archies, about halfway up the present trunks, which were about half as tall as they are now.

As long as we're on the subject, cats and palms can get along well, in that palms are like grasses and cats like to eat grass. So you need to protect the palms sometimes, especially when they're really small.

Below is a picture of Great Great Grandma, who appreciates the warmth of the plastic mini-greenhouses, and hungrily eyes sprouting Roystonea borenquenia underneath. They also like to nibble the dead palm leaves I save for the fireplace!

Oh, the life of a cat.  She looks like she doesn't have a care in the world!

• Upvote 1

Mr Coco,

I believe that Dooms just gave you your solution,  "before they got eaten by coyotes."

Just kidding puss puss.

No Mate, that cat damage is less than superficial. The natural cracking goes way deeper than that.

The cat has only frayed off already dead material. Only you would notice it.

I do not think that It will affect the life or health of the palm. It is cosmetic.

I have seen numerous palms (not coconut) whipper snippered through to 20% of their diameter quite happy.

But if you think that the fence is also less attractive, you might try an anti - animal spray or powder.

I found that 'Deep Heat'  muscle rub stopped our cat scratching a door. 

• Upvote 1

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

Save the Coconut......... Mulch the cat :P:D

• Upvote 2

Andrew,
Airlie Beach, Whitsundays

Tropical Queensland

Image result for 22 revolver

• Upvote 5

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

John,

way back home I had two lovely cats by myself: "Lady Lisa" sharpened its claws at the cat tree I provided (=good cat),

but "Peter The Boy" didn`t and chose my massive leather sofa for his "training" (=so, not a real gentlemen cat, but a heartbreaker) which

didn`t hold up for long and I finally had to dump it - so, at this point I would say: They can probably damage things seriously in the long run,

if not stopped. (And btw, there was absolutely no way of moving his attention to other things when it came to his work out "protocol".)

One more thing, my cats were common house cats, but after seeing a fully grown Maine-Coon-cat at a friends place for the first time in real -

and I don`t know what kind of cats you have - I would say: Protect the tree!

best regards

• Upvote 2

• 9 months later...
On 4/14/2017, 2:01:13, Jerry@TreeZoo said:

Image result for 22 revolver

Be careful not to shoot in the foot . . . .

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

On 4/14/2017, 5:04:50, palmfriend said:

John,

way back home I had two lovely cats by myself: "Lady Lisa" sharpened its claws at the cat tree I provided (=good cat),

but "Peter The Boy" didn`t and chose my massive leather sofa for his "training" (=so, not a real gentlemen cat, but a heartbreaker) which

didn`t hold up for long and I finally had to dump it - so, at this point I would say: They can probably damage things seriously in the long run,

if not stopped. (And btw, there was absolutely no way of moving his attention to other things when it came to his work out "protocol".)

One more thing, my cats were common house cats, but after seeing a fully grown Maine-Coon-cat at a friends place for the first time in real -

and I don`t know what kind of cats you have - I would say: Protect the tree!

best regards

Maine Coon cats can be impressive. That young lady is of normal size. So's the cat, normal for him.

5a81b90b79158_mainecoon.jpg.a2e2230da15a

My kitty's a Maine Coon mix, and he's nowhere near the size of the cat above, but he's far and away stronger than the others I have.

Wow, scratching a leather sofa! I got leather sofas and chairs to keep cats from scratching them. So far, it works.

:olook at that thing!

• Upvote 1

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

On ‎4‎/‎13‎/‎2017‎ ‎9‎:‎15‎:‎41‎, gtsteve said:

Mr Coco,

I believe that Dooms just gave you your solution,  "before they got eaten by coyotes."

Just kidding puss puss.

No Mate, that cat damage is less than superficial. The natural cracking goes way deeper than that.

The cat has only frayed off already dead material. Only you would notice it.

I do not think that It will affect the life or health of the palm. It is cosmetic.

I have seen numerous palms (not coconut) whipper snippered through to 20% of their diameter quite happy.

But if you think that the fence is also less attractive, you might try an anti - animal spray or powder.

I found that 'Deep Heat'  muscle rub stopped our cat scratching a door. 

Steve,

I figured that it wouldn't do much harm, but I really resent the ugly scratch marks on the once beautiful trunk of my palm.  I took down the little fence a couple of months ago, and I don't seem to have had any more cat scratching problems.

John

13 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

Maine Coon cats can be impressive. That young lady is of normal size. So's the cat, normal for him.

5a81b90b79158_mainecoon.jpg.a2e2230da15a

My kitty's a Maine Coon mix, and he's nowhere near the size of the cat above, but he's far and away stronger than the others I have.

Wow, scratching a leather sofa! I got leather sofas and chairs to keep cats from scratching them. So far, it works.

That's HUGE!  I have never seen any kind of house cat even close to that size!

Our cats love scratching their claws on some of our palms and other plants (Cestrum nocturnum, Hibiscus rosa-sinensis, trees...), most of the time the damage is essentially a matter of esthetics ;
The big trees (Syagrus romanzoffiana, Washingtonia robusta) show little to no damage (exactly what @gtsteve mentionned), while one small A. cunninghamiana showed heavy damage (they used to scratch their claws on the crownshaft and the spear), which is why for now I protect the palm (to prevent fungal diseases) ; They seem to ignore other small king palms, maybe because the surroundings are "slippery" (mulch) ;

Ugly for sure, but does the job, I'll remove this once I heavily mulch the surroundings of this palm :

25380256507_1eb8794e2c_o.jpg

Edited by Nakheel1412
  • Upvote 3

21 hours ago, tacobender said:

Never noticed any problems like that.

20180213_103629.jpg

Does he lick the cats to death?

• 3 years later...
On 4/13/2017 at 4:35 PM, DoomsDave said:

Hmm.

When using these little greenhouse things do you just sprout the seeds then move them immediately? I've been looking for some, I wish they made these things specifically for palms with deep trays :blush2:

Nothing like a silenced 22 for this application.

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)