IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Instant Gratification- What are the Fastest, Most Quickly Rewarding Palms to Grow From Seed?

Matthew92

Many people have hobbies where you can get the desired object in it's fullest form immediately (cars, antiques, gemstones...). And yes, you can get palms mature (although not feasible for many of us), but as for palms from seed, it can take decades for them to get full sized in the landscape.

I've recently marveled at how slow of a process it is for all my palm germination endeavors. Currently waiting on over 50 seeds to sprout. Since I started palm germinating last spring, some species have taken as long as 2 months to even sprout, much longer than many non-palm plants.

However, there have been a few species that have had easy germination and very fast growth, and have been very rewarding.

I'd like to comprise a list of what palms are instantly rewarding (as far as a palm goes) in terms of very quick growth.

Palms I've found to be "instantly rewarding" so far are:

1. Washingtonia (in this case filifera, but I understand robusta and hybrid are just as fast)

2. Syagrus romanzoffiana (Not quite as speedy quick to germinate (about 1 month for me), but continuous fast growth afterward)

3. Roystonea regia (Not quite as quick as the above 2, but still pretty quick)

Which ones in your experience are the fastest most quickly satisfying to grow? And if possible, post pictures to show the growth rate (I'll post pictures of mine shortly).

• Upvote 3

Archontophoenix sp (except purpurea) are probably the fastest from seed in my climate. As for satisfying, for me that's not related to speed of growth at all. Archontophoenix are beautiful palms though.

• Upvote 4

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Not super fast growing or anything, but I've always liked sprouting and growing:

• Phoenix Dactylifera
  • Phoenix Theophrasti
  • Sabal Palmetto
  • Sabal Minor

Easy to get seeds, and relatively easy to sprout.  Not fast growing in most cases, but always available.

• Upvote 2

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Veitchia for sure. They've been about 50% faster than my Archontophoenix.

Edited by RedRabbit
  • Upvote 3

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

I think pound for pound, my Roystonea regia has put on the most mass when compared to my other palms. After the Royal it would be Coco nucifera, Veitchia, Archontophoenix, and Carpentaria acuminata.

The most rewarding to germinate and watch grow for me are coconuts. Each one has a story behind it. 

• Upvote 2

Pigafetta Filaris ( a West Irian and PNG native grows exceptionally fast given the right conditions. In its natural habitat it is a coloniser species...ie: it seems to thrive on recentlly cleared ground where it doesn't have to compete with other plants. My ones planted amongst other palms died off but a mate of mine one street over from me  planted his in open cleared ground on his house block building site about 30 years ago and its now 25 or 30m tall ! The first few years of growth was phenomenal.....way faster than the local Darwin native Carpentaria which I would have said was the fastest grower in our climate.

The Darwin Botanical Gardens has some massive Pigafettas planted on a hilly aspect near a permanent ( artificial ) watercourse in their rain forest section. In Darwin they need full sun and lots of water in the Dry season. Even the seedlings seem to need full sun and they germinate very easily in our climate. 

• Upvote 4

Pigafettas are certainly rockets, but for me the fastest seedlings I've grown from seed were Hyophorbe indica...the left the Piggies for dead up to about 600mm tall...then the Piggies were hitting their straps and took off. My H.indica went from seed to seeding in 6 years...so not too shabby!

Daryl

• Upvote 3

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Yes, Hyophorbe indica are quick and very satisfying to grow. I love them.

• Upvote 3

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Livistona nitida, fast and easy germinators and fast growers

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

08053.gif

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Caryota urens.   they are easily the fastest I have seen.

• Upvote 2

Grant
Long Beach, CA

It's interesting to see the responses based on location. For us here in a temperate environment, most Archontophoenix would be one of the top growers from seed. Syagrus are always very slow to get really going from seed. Veitchias may be fast in the tropics, but not around here; especially when young. And Roystonea needs a few years to lose their strap leaves before they take off. Washingtonia obviously grows quickly right out of the chute.

• Upvote 2

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

2 minutes ago, quaman58 said:

It's interesting to see the responses based on location. For us here in a temperate environment, most Archontophoenix would be one of the top growers from seed. Syagrus are always very slow to get really going from seed. Veitchias may be fast in the tropics, but not around here; especially when young. And Roystonea needs a few years to lose their strap leaves before they take off. Washingtonia obviously grows quickly right out of the chute.

I concur, though I also agree that C. urens (and C. gigas) are both fast, as well as the "Archies."

• Upvote 2

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I second the Washingtonia. My robusta (possible hybrid) literally went from a sprouted seed in June to fan fronds by August.

This is a pic I posted a while back, this is how quickly mine grew in a little over a year:

attachment.php?id=266349

• Like 5
  • Upvote 9

35 minutes ago, grant b. said:

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Caryota urens.   they are easily the fastest I have seen.

Indeed I should have....my magnificent specimen blew over during cyclonic winds about 5 years ago. I planted the seedling ( rather foolishly ) close to a concrete slab and it then grew with a pronounced lean to the south. In fact its growth was waaay quicker than my efforts with the chainsaw cutting it up.....it was huge and took ages to clean up.

I see you are in NWFL. The problem with fast growing tropical palms is they quickly outgrow 8' ceilings. Archos, coconuts, Veitchias and the like can only be short term potted plants in your climate - they'd never survive a winter planted outdoors. Washies may be your best fast grower.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Of all the high-speed palms mentioned on this PalmTalk page, which continue to grow at lightning speed in SHADE conditions?  Any?

I want to share how my Archontophoneix alexandrae and Veitchia have compared in terms of growth. All the palms below were germinated around 1yr ago.

Archontophoenix alexandrae

aa.jpg

Veitchia ? (probably arecina or joannis)
va.jpg

Next to one another you can see how much smaller the Archontophoenix (left) is next to the Veitchia (right):

comp.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 10

In terms of pure speed in my yard, I provide the following rankings.

1. Cocos nucifera (Absolute fastest hands down)

2. Veitchia 

3. Roystonea

4. Archontophoenix tuckeri

5. Dypsis  pembana (this has been as fast as the A. tuckeri)

6. Dypsis Tribear hybrid (this palm was fast until Hurricane Matthew laid it over; it is slowly recovering)

• Upvote 4

Hello there,

since I grow all plants from seeds (incl. the most of my Cocos nucifera),

the current ranking will be:

1. Cocos nucifera

2. Washingtonia robusta (almost the same speed of growth like C.n.)

3. Veitchia joannis

4. Archontophoenix alexandrae

5. Adonidia merrillii

6. Clinostigma harlandii (incredibly speeding up lately)

PS: I am lacking variation of palm trees due to availability (I have to buy all my seeds overseas) -

so, there might be another rocket somewhere I am still not aware of...

best regards

• Upvote 3

My fastest palm of the 150 species in my garden is easily the foxy lady (Wodyetia x Veitchia) from tiny seedling to 14 feet in less than five years in my cooler climate. A close second would be Archontophoenix 'Illawarra' which can grow several feet per year even as young juveniles. The ones pictured are between ten and twelve years old. The foxy lady picture is a year old. It will easily put on another two to three feet between now and the end of fall.IMG_1128.thumb.JPG.e9c824e75d94ed78d5da1IMG_0482.thumb.JPG.2fae521b9de1eea4503f9IMG_2469.thumb.JPG.3640c3dcba7afca4a45a1IMG_2490.thumb.JPG.155aa1e59332fc20dc8c1

• Like 1
  • Upvote 12

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

Chamaedorea tepejilote are very quick here, in sun or shade.

The ones in the sun and wind look crummy all shredded and burnt but they grow just as fast in any case.

The tops are out of sight above the canopy, but we have them there for the lovely shiny dark green bamboo like trunks.

Oh, and the foxtail that was really quick, well the one in the sun was,

I nearly forgot about the other skinny little one that is buried in the gloom.

• Upvote 3

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

For my yard/climate, it has to be JxS or BxP.  Two years from a small strap leaf seedling to over my head, with girth.  In May I'll do a 3-year update.

• Upvote 2

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Ben, RedRabbit, CocoaBeach Jason and Palmfriend, are those growth rates in the sun or in the shade?

Jim, it appears that your Foxy Lady is in the sun, but your Archontophoenix Illawara is in deep shade,  Is that correct? 

Thanks all, and please keep in coming!

(Opal, I hope that I haven't hijacked your PalmTalk thread)

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Sandy Loam said:

Ben, RedRabbit, CocoaBeach Jason and Palmfriend, are those growth rates in the sun or in the shade?

Jim, it appears that your Foxy Lady is in the sun, but your Archontophoenix Illawara is in deep shade,  Is that correct? 

Shade. I'm keeping them all in my lanai until the get bigger.

13 hours ago, Sandy Loam said:

When we bought the property in fall 2012 there was almost nothing planted in the garden - I simply had no shade

to offer. I kept the very young plants just for a short time under a sail-like blanket and put them in the ground when I felt they

are strong enough to survive.

Here are two photos:

This one was taken in spring 2013:

001x.thumb.jpg.4f41ac06fb1b223bb8e45e30d

First I had to move a lot of soil to get the area plain, then I tried to establish grass but it was a tough summer with not much rain and enourmous heat...

(in the back center a Cocos nucifera, right side a Hyophorbe lagenicaulis)

...and this one is from May 2016,...

003x.thumb.jpg.3c1d1f224a79d464d0339f97e

If I have established more shadow (or a canopy) I may try other species but for the moment I am more focussed on sun-loving ones.

best regards

palmfriend

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

18 hours ago, Sandy Loam said:

Everything I was referring to was pure sun grown

19 hours ago, Sandy Loam said:

Sun here as well, though as the canopy develops they aren't quite in full all day sun anymore.

• Upvote 2

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Thanks for your posts everyone!

All these palms below are about 9 months old.

Washingtonia filifera

IMG_9507.thumb.JPG.50b6e5b875c0e144b7a60

Syagrus romanzoffiana.

IMG_9506.thumb.JPG.9848cdce4b3bb0b8c693b

Roystonea regia (exception for age is the one on the front left which sprouted this past winter)

IMG_9508.thumb.JPG.d8795457f31adfd84c7d4

Edited by Opal92
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 5

On 4/12/2017, 4:15:49, PalmatierMeg said:

I see you are in NWFL. The problem with fast growing tropical palms is they quickly outgrow 8' ceilings. Archos, coconuts, Veitchias and the like can only be short term potted plants in your climate - they'd never survive a winter planted outdoors. Washies may be your best fast grower.

Yep, I'm enjoying them as they're small now. Eventually may do a plant sale/offer them here on PT!

And what about the humble, ubiquitous often maligned Chamaedorea elegans.

Obviously not big or fast but for being so cute and fully pinnate straight out of the seed,

they are very rewarding, giving me instant gratification.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

• 5 months later...

I would add Phoenix dactylifera and canariensis to that list. 2 of 3 germinated this summer. Took only 1 and 1/2 months. Growth has been good as well.

• Upvote 1

They don't grow tall, but the Ravenea hildebrandtii is very, very fast at pushing out leaves.

Edited by GottmitAlex

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

If you want early puberty get some Chamadorea radicalis.

seedling to seeding in about two years

Pu-whoo-hoo-berteeee

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

They're "slow" but my Satakentias in summer are producing (and dropping) about a leaf a month in summer.  They're industrious.  I may get to see them in the wild next spring.  

• Upvote 1

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

8 hours ago, Dave-Vero said:

They're "slow" but my Satakentias in summer are producing (and dropping) about a leaf a month in summer.  They're industrious.  I may get to see them in the wild next spring.  

Pictures?

:drool:

Hmm

What is "instant" gratification in the palm world?

Washies are fast, if you don't rip out volunteers, soon they're eloping with your neighbors' kids and demanding to borrow the car. From a standing start from seed, to about 4 - 5 feet overall, 12" thick in about three years.

Cary-[expletive]-ota

[Expletive] urens!

3 foot tall, 2" caliper 5 -gallon plant to 70 feet and seeding in about 12 years. 18" across the trunk, oh scream.

• Upvote 3

Chamaedorea plumosa are SUPER fast

• Upvote 1

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!