IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Record Cold Snap, Darwin, Australia

greysrigging

Darwin, at 12*S latitude, enjoys ( suffers ) an extremely hot and humid Monsoonal climate. We also attract our fair share of tropical disturbances called Cyclones in the Southern Hemisphere. In fact we are under a Cyclone Watch at the moment and this particular system has produced some abnormal weather conditions in the Top End last night and today. As expected, a lot of rain has fallen along the northern coast, over 225mm ( 9" ) in 24 hours. The rain is not so unusual ( although it is very late in the season for a Cyclone to develop, its not unheard of..... ) What is unusual is the extremely cold  ( for our latitude ) temperatures associated with this Tropical Low. Its the coldest day I have ever experienced in Darwin. We were rained off and sent home from work at midday. We had to work in the rain laying down large construction cranes to make them safe for the expected gales  and as one can imagine, we don't wear cool weather jackets ( or even own them ! ) so temps below 20c ( 68f ) combined with heavy rain and wind was a real shock !

5QTwziXh.png

And it got colder later in the afternoon....I've lived here for 38 years and not experienced daytime temps this low before.

YwvvL5Uh.png

Had to dig out an old flannel shirt and cardigan....lol

wRyWgoEh.jpg

So yes, possibly record breaking cold across the Top End today. Sitting in my office this arvo I had to turn the fan and aircon off !

• Upvote 1

Lol 64f is frozen. But I feel your pain as we have had record setting cold years here the past 4 years and set many cold records in both summer and winter. 

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

That is unreal. Never I thought I'd see that up there.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.