IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Help ID this yucca

mdsonofthesouth

Debating between rigida and rostrata...but not sure what the actual yucca is.

20170409_144255.jpg

20170409_144314.jpg

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

Might be Yucca aloifolia now that I have seen these growing at the beach. They are growing like weeds and propgating really well without help. The ones bellow have been in ground for years here.

20170410_105115.jpg

20170410_105107.jpg

20170410_105135.jpg

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

Im so bad at yucca ID. Took me a month to figure out my yucca "lone star" were a variation of gloriosa! Why cant growers just include the latin name for verification??? "Blue sentry" and "lone star" are so ambiguous!

Edited by mdsonofthesouth

1 hour ago, Gonzer said:

Y. rigida

The potted ones on top or the ones i showed in ground?

Thats what I thought originally as a possible. I really like the look of the ones at the beach and was hoping the ones i picked up (the original in pots) would be the same as I bike past them for weeks in the summer wishing they were in my yard year after year.]

Awesome thanks! By chance are the ones in ground the same or another breed?

1 hour ago, Monòver said:

The Yuccas in ground look aloifolia.

Well they grow and propagate like weeds in this 7b area. Slightly milder winters here but extremely  milder summers.

Also the leaves of the potted look and feel like the ones in ground as well as the trunk seems to be the same thickness.

• 7 months later...

Ok so I hate to revive this, but after being in the ground they have changed color noticeably. Wondering if this challenges the yucca rigida at all or if it stands? Thanks for your patience! these were taken a few months ago and they have since grown ALOT and a bit bluer and the succor died sadly probably due to the fertilizer I threw down before it popped up. 

21077669_1661585530541763_1497898176005226824_n.jpg

20993017_1661585547208428_584666780191915860_n.jpg

Edited by mdsonofthesouth

Having spent a lot of time maintaining both sp. in 1- 24+gal, these are not rigida.. or rosata.  Ive yet to see specimens of either species which diddn't exhibit the classic steely-blue/silver color from 1gal size and possess a different leaf arrangement then those pictured.  Don't recall seeing either sp. send up suckers/ offshoots from ground level. Both are typically solitary trunked until starting to branch after reaching a certain size. " Blue Sentry" was thought to be a flaccida hybrid.. possibly with gloriosa or some other non trunking/ shrubby Yucca sp.  Yucca rosata and rigida are unmistakable when seen upclose.. ( just not too close in the case of rigida., extremely stiff leaves/ terminal spine) 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

Looks like rigida through my computer monitor. How stiff are the leaves?

They are pretty stiff. Close to what my yucca gloriosa var lone star.

7 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Having spent a lot of time maintaining both sp. in 1- 24+gal, these are not rigida.. or rosata.  Ive yet to see specimens of either species which diddn't exhibit the classic steely-blue/silver color from 1gal size and possess a different leaf arrangement then those pictured.  Don't recall seeing either sp. send up suckers/ offshoots from ground level. Both are typically solitary trunked until starting to branch after reaching a certain size. " Blue Sentry" was thought to be a flaccida hybrid.. possibly with gloriosa or some other non trunking/ shrubby Yucca sp.  Yucca rosata and rigida are unmistakable when seen upclose.. ( just not too close in the case of rigida., extremely stiff leaves/ terminal spine) 

They are pretty stiff much like gloriosa. The sucker did infact pop up through the ground much like my gloriosa did. My yucca gloriosa trunked in less than a year, and I was told these would trunk too. Hope I wasnt lied too.

looks like the Y aloifolia I have seen in cultivation and at parks.  Nasty spines, fairly stiff leaves but wider than rigida.  

Here's a link to some shots of Yucca aloifolia   :   http://agaveville.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=72

Here's some to Yucca rigida:   http://agaveville.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=189

and here to Yucca gloriosa:    http://agaveville.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=326

1 hour ago, Geoff said:

looks like the Y aloifolia I have seen in cultivation and at parks.  Nasty spines, fairly stiff leaves but wider than rigida.  

Here's a link to some shots of Yucca aloifolia   :   http://agaveville.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=72

Here's some to Yucca rigida:   http://agaveville.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=189

and here to Yucca gloriosa:    http://agaveville.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=326

Im pretty sure the trunked specimens I showed up top are aloifolia, the ones I have that were green in the pot and blue in the ground look like if rigida and gloriosa had a baby. Although my gloriosa have very wide leaves that make these look like toothpicks. Ill be posting a video on it soon to give a better idea as to what it might be with a comparison of my gloriosa and these, might even show the green yellow plant that might be dying. Eitherway first winter like weather has come months early and its still perky as can be!