IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Funny reason why I love my Pachypodium

Mandrew968

Yes, I love my Pachypodium, but it's not the actual tree, itself, that I love. I love my Pachypodium because it's the perfect host tree for my Tillandsia collection. 

When I first got my Madagascar palm, I was just getting into plants (mainly palms). It was actually one of the first plantings in my yard. Since then, I have grown to be noncommittal about it. 

About two years ago, I got into Tillandsia (and when I get into something, I really get in there!). I would consider myself an expert in our native species, but with over 700 species and very few local purveyors of air plants, I would have to say I am still learning and loving these amazing plants.

One day, I was in the yard and noticed one of the native species had spontaneously began growing on my Pachypodium. This ultimately led to a new appreciation for my Madagascar palm and a growing collection of Tillandsia ( currently over 25 species in it ). I know its not much, but I thought I would share with my Palmtalk friends.

• Upvote 5

Here are a few more shots. I will eventually compile a list of the various species and variations in the tree. Until then, have a great weekend!

20170406_171551.jpg

20170406_171605.jpg

20170406_171621.jpg

• Upvote 11

Quite a lot of Tillandsia species co-exist in habitat growing on cactus. Too bad there are no endemic species of Tillandsias in Madagascar, bummer. Many species of Tills were actually discovered by renowned cactus collectors on the hunt for new species.

Andrew, what a great plant and creative way to display your tillandsia collection!  They are obviously very happy there and it seems to give them what they need.  Thanks for sharing this idea!

The spanish moss came when a bird used some to make a nest. Otherwise, I would have held off on that native... edithae below.

20170408_184051.jpg

• Upvote 6

Juncea with one of two forms of flexuosa. Tillandsia intermedia has been peppered through as well. That's all for now.

20170408_184142.jpg

• Upvote 5

Very neat!  Tillandsias have volunteered on my Pachypodium as well.  Eh, not really.  I sowed some Tillandsias seeds on it and they germinated.  I'm jealous that you have wild Tillandsias volunteering in your yard!  Well... I'm guessing that they are wild.  Maybe the seeds came from your neighbors' Tillandsias?  

A few years back Tillandsia aeranthos volunteers pretty much covered my Cedar tree.  If I lived in Florida then the neighbors downwind would have aeranthos volunteering all over their trees, bushes, house and car.  That's such a funny concept.  The economic term is "externality".  I like this example of a negative externality.  

I decided that the opportunity cost of having aeranthos covering my tree was too high so I removed most of the volunteers and gave them away.  It's really interesting to try and imagine how quickly the aeranthos in California will adapt to our winter rain climate.  The larger and more diverse the population the more quickly it will adapt.  

That's great that you've attached some orchids to your Pachypodium.  I did the same thing.  I love the roots growing between the spines.  Here's a short video of mine.

Great story Andrew, impressive how many species have decided to call the Pachy home. Agree with Gonzer that many Tillandsia were discovered while looking for other plants.

Had some Ball Moss seedlings attach themselves to my Apple Cactus ( Harissia fragrans) before we left Florida. Unfortunately, they didn't make it past the summer here. That being said, Ball Moss ( Tillandsia recurvata) does occur in the Mountains just  to the south, south west, and east of Tucson, at least according to SEINet data.

There are additional records of T. recurvata  occuring at lower elevations near Rio Rico and Nogales.  Wonder if it ( and perhaps other species) would survive on larger shade trees/ mesquite located close to some of the larger permanent ponds around town. 

Recurvata is a weed here and is by far the most common Tillandsia species in Florida-you would be hard pressed to find an oak without any. 

In Florida, we only have 16 native species of Tillandsia. I have seen every species in habitat, but pruinosa. I have looked all over but it is super rare, along with the Catopsis and Guzmania species that can really only be found in the Fakahatchee preserve.

• Upvote 1

Here is one of my favorite natives, Tillandsia paucifolia. To the left is another really neat one, Tillandsia flexuosa var. vivipara. And in the corner top left, you can just make out pruinosa.

20170409_152037.jpg

• Upvote 5

I have Pachypodium and i have Tillandsias.

I think they will be together!

IMG_20170410_200250.thumb.jpg.64569483f4IMG_20170410_200139.thumb.jpg.5cddfdc8e0

Edited by Monòver
  • Upvote 7

Which species is this? It has a flower like cyanea but is red. Neat, whatever it is... Gonzer! :lol:

20170418_155753.jpg

20170418_155814.jpg

• Upvote 4

Looks to be T. concolor. T. cyanea has been reclassified, some new genus whose name I can't find right now. Stay tuned.

Tillandsia cyanea's new name is Wallisia cyanea> This new genus includes species that have the large flowers such as T. cyanea and T. dodsonii. Don't ask me why!

• Upvote 3

• 3 months later...

This is a relative of harrisii. When I bought it, I didn't pull the trigger until the lady said it was not harrisii. I forget the exact species name...

20170807_164043.jpg

• Upvote 2

On 8/7/2017, 5:40:49, Gonzer said:

That looks to be T. harrisii all day long

You are probably right; maybe they gave me a synonym for harrisii..?

She probably got it confused with T. hondurensis which would be very understandable. BTW, good spot you picked for it as they root heavily, especially on a living tree. The action in the cambium layer (warmth, movement) is said to stimulate rooting. Not as effective on palms though with their vascular bundles.

• 5 months later...

Seleriana with a piece of scheidiana variation minor, I got in Mexico, to the right. Juncia below them.

20180118_163805_HDR.jpg

• Upvote 4

Yellow capitata with what must be a purple form of balbisiana, I found near a canal in Big Cypress. My other balbisiana don't grow with this color nor is this as twisty...

20180118_163733.jpg

• Upvote 4

And this is my newest and also an unknown... It looks to be a miniature species. I brought it back from Costa Rica, up in Monte Verde. It is doing well as are a couple kinds of Catopsis I brought back. It seems to want to cluster profusely at a very small size (which is why I think it is a dwarf species).

20180118_170350.jpg

• Upvote 3

Viviparous form of flexuosa. It has very stiff-nonflexing leaves (just above it, to the left is filifolia).

20180118_163814.jpg

• Upvote 2

Any time I try a Pachypodium it rots away :wacko: What am I doing wrong?

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

It is getting too much water, ultimately. Full sun and good drainage and the common species should do fine... I don't think Naples is too cold...

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Mandrew968 said:

It is getting too much water, ultimately. Full sun and good drainage and the common species should do fine... I don't think Naples is too cold...

I DID have it right by a sprinkler head... :hmm: I just can't remember if I was running my irrigation system back then.

10 hours ago, Mandrew968 said:

10 hours ago, Mandrew968 said:

3 hours ago, Missi said:

I DID have it right by a sprinkler head... :hmm: I just can't remember if I was running my irrigation system back then.

Would echo Andrew's observations.. Pachypodium and Uncarina sp. really hate being constantly wet,( learned this the hard way as well) especially during cooler weather. The best specimens I've seen both here in the desert, back in CA., and in FL. we're essentially watered in a few times post planting, then left on their own.. and planted in gritty, well drained soil ofcourse. 

Some of the smaller, touchier Pachys. can be so sensitive to extra water that they rot right away with just a little too much auga, especially potted specimens.

Give 'em heat, and pretty much neglect them, and they thrive. Kind of like Bougainvillea.

Should do fine for you down in Naples. Saw several growing in yards around  both Sarasota and Bradenton.. and out on the islands. There's a particular specimen planted in front of a Condo development out on Longboat Key that is spectacular in bloom. 

• Upvote 1

On 1/19/2018, 8:48:18, Silas_Sancona said:

Would echo Andrew's observations.. Pachypodium and Uncarina sp. really hate being constantly wet,( learned this the hard way as well) especially during cooler weather. The best specimens I've seen both here in the desert, back in CA., and in FL. we're essentially watered in a few times post planting, then left on their own.. and planted in gritty, well drained soil ofcourse. 

Some of the smaller, touchier Pachys. can be so sensitive to extra water that they rot right away with just a little too much auga, especially potted specimens.

Give 'em heat, and pretty much neglect them, and they thrive. Kind of like Bougainvillea.

Should do fine for you down in Naples. Saw several growing in yards around  both Sarasota and Bradenton.. and out on the islands. There's a particular specimen planted in front of a Condo development out on Longboat Key that is spectacular in bloom. 

Thank you! Yes, I've seen several beautiful specimens around Naples too. I'm like what the heck the heck?! I'll have to find an area that is sunny but the sprinklers don't hit. Hmm...

• Upvote 1