IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

How to wipe out a windows hard drive?

DoomsDave

I have an old computer I'd like to get rid of.

Before I do that, I want to totally purge the drive of all my old data. Some of it is confidential.

I understand that most deleted data can be recovered.

Is there a way to prevent that? Maybe I'm being a bit paranoid, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Thoughts appreciated.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

1 minute ago, Phoenikakias said:

'Format', the ol' good method. 

No, absolutely not! Formatting, initializing, or even repartitioning a hard drive DOES NOT erase the data itself that was stored there previously. There are lots of tools available (free and otherwise) that allows for recovery of data from hard disks that have been reformatted, and often times most data is recoverable even if Windows has been reinstalled on a reformatted drive.

If you want to make sure that other can't access your data, either:

(1) Physically destroy the hard drive platter (use a hammer and nail, anti-aircraft gun, or any other weapon of mass destruction you have access to that ensures total and complete destruction of the thing). Storage is cheap, so anyone who gets your old computer can buy another hard drive.

(2) Erase the hard drive using a utility that wipes the data by overwriting every sector bit by bit. Since you probably don't have top-secret DoD documents on the thing, a freely available utility called "KillDisk" does a pretty good job in overwriting the drive. Or you can use a Pro version for DoD 5220.22 M compliant method. To do that, you will need to attach the hard drive as a secondary drive to another PC and then run the software (since the software won't let you wipe the primary hard drive that the computer is running the operating system).

http://www.killdisk.com/downloadfree.htm

• Upvote 4

Thanks!

Hammer and nail at ready.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

28 minutes ago, Pando said:
28 minutes ago, Pando said:

You can bury the remains next to that pit bull when you're done.

You can bury the remains next to that pit bull when you're done.

I can't find them.

I suppose it's too toxic to burn in the fireplaces, along with Archie trunks, etc.?

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

I can't find them.

I suppose it's too toxic to burn in the fireplaces, along with Archie trunks, etc.?

That was a joke of course. I'd recommend proper electronics recycling methods. In my area I've seen them periodically set up in high school parking lots where they take old computers, TVs and the like.

Pando is exactly right. Physically destroying a hard drive is the way to go... Having said that, destroying one is easier said than done. They don't call it a "hard" drive for nothing. Good luck!

• Like 2

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

10 hours ago, Pando said:

a_ov_harddrive_160317.jpg

Or, if you want to excercise your creative side, there are lots of other ideas:

HDD_bike_126872505.jpg

tumblr_mevf2gyrTG1qae9seo1_1280.jpg

That's good

Now I know which part it is . . .

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/3/2017, 7:59:12, Pando said:

That was a joke of course. I'd recommend proper electronics recycling methods. In my area I've seen them periodically set up in high school parking lots where they take old computers, TVs and the like.

Goodwill does it all the time for free at least up here in the far frozen north.

Hey Dave, If the hard drive is still usable pull it and use it on a docking station. Find them on online.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Yup ZenMan1, by using a USB dock, it's nice to back up stuff to an external hard drive and still keep it in your possession.

But, as with any mechanical device, it can fail when you least expect, or fall to the floor by accident, so always make secondary backups of everything you value.

Edited by Pando

• 5 years later...

Perhaps a nail and a hammer is the most reliable remedy. Some experts can pull out information that seemed to have been removed from all media long ago. An acquaintance of mine bought a disk that had already had its user once. But the disk seemed to be clean. Data recovery services were needed when this disk failure due to a short circuit. What was his surprise when the company he went to pulled out the previous owner's information? Maybe the drive had been cleaned badly. So, radical measures might be the only way to keep your information safe.

Edited by Asqaartoo1
  • Like 2

Asqaartoo1

Welcome to Palmtalk!   :)

San Francisco, California

" Office Space " it ( ..the Hard Drive )   The clued in will get the hint, haha :winkie::D

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

" Office Space " it ( ..the Hard Drive )   The clued in will get the hint, haha :winkie::D

Pc load letter? Wtf does that mean?

13 minutes ago, JohnAndSancho said:

Pc load letter? Wtf does that mean?

How don't you not know that movie?  ...and one of the most iconic movie scenes in modern movie history? There's even a baseball -esque reference in that scene.  lol..

Edited by Silas_Sancona
edit

1 minute ago, Silas_Sancona said:

How don't you not know that movie?  ...and one of the most iconic movie scenes in modern movie history? There's even a baseball -esque reference in that scene.  lol..

That's what he said when the printer jammed lol

We need to talk about your flair 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JohnAndSancho said:

That's what he said when the printer jammed lol

We need to talk about your flair 

:greenthumb:  Forgot that one..

You mean Flare (  A story ..Pleads the 5th, lol )

2 minutes ago, Silas_Sancona said:

:greenthumb:  Forgot that one..

You mean Flare (  A story ..Pleads the 5th, lol )

Lumbergh is gonna have me come in on Saturday. I know it. 

(Incidentally I got called in today and now I'm trying to get someone at work to answer the phone so i can walk them through something I've shown them how to do a dozen times)

• Like 1

I usually come in 15 minutes late. I use the side door so Lumberg doesn't see .

So everyday you see me,  that's the worst day of my life. 

• Upvote 1

Tampa, Florida

Zone - 10a

I've got a meeting with the Bobs. 

In all seriousness and I am aware that this is a 6 year old thread, I work for a hotel franchise. I had a server replacement (at my hotel's cost of $10k) and they wiped the hard drive by using a drill bit. I tried to offer my services as someone who owns Office Space on DVD but was denied. 

• Like 1