IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Mazari palm rescue

Umbrae

Brought these two poor palms home this weekend from a slow death. Anyone care to make a guess atvhow old they are ? 

Squat 15 gallon pots

20170402_094824.jpg

• Upvote 3

I don't have any idea how old they are, but I'm glad you found them. I first saw mature mazari palms several years ago in Texas and I thought they were awesome. With their drought tolerance, cold tolerance, and lack of thorns/spines, I've always thought they should be more popular.

• Upvote 2

I will re-pot them this week and feed them with some Carl Pool palm food till I can figure out where I want them in the landscape.

The ritcheana are fantastic palms.  Here is one if my bigger ones with my wife

20170402_171506.jpg

• Upvote 5

I'll take a stab. 5 or 6 years old from seed. 

Longview, Texas :: Record Low: -5F, Feb. 16, 2021 :: Borderline 8A/8B :: '06-'07: 18F / '07-'08: 21F / '08-'09: 21F / '09-'10: 14F / '10-'11: 15F / '11-'12: 24F / '12-'13: 23F / '13-'14: 15F / '14-'15: 20F / '15-'16: 27F / '16-'17: 15F / '17-'18: 8F / '18-'19: 23F / '19-'20: 19F / '20-'21: -5F / '21-'22: 20F / '22-'23: 6F

15 hours ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

The ritcheana are fantastic palms.  Here is one if my bigger ones with my wife

20170402_171506.jpg

Tchp has that one ever bloomed and if it did, did it make viable seed?

I agree, this is a really underrated palm.  This pic is from a local nursery, cocker spaniel size dog for scale. 

IMG_0300.JPG

IMG_0302.JPG

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

We planted a few ritcheana the last few weeks. They really look great in the right setting. Here is a pic from earlier this week. 

20170418_123637.jpg

• Upvote 4