Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Three Sabal palms in Seattle

23 posts in this topic

Not my photo but found on the web. This garden in West Seattle is famous for its Sabal etonia, S. causarium, and S. minor. 

 

 

home-design.jpg

5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That doesn't look like a sabal causarium. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember pictures of that garden from the cloudforest cafe forums. I haven't checked in in several years but that's a great regional forum with lots of knowledgeable growers on the West Coast. There are some posters there growing palms aso far north as salt spring island and British Columbia along the coast. Trachycarpus, butia, trithrinax, jubaea, phoenix, sabal... and lots of other exotics.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Hey Joe, it really is a sabal causarium. Maybe they don’t get as big as in heat loving places like TX. The owner keeps it trimmed up so people can walk around it on the sidewalk. The picture above is from last summer, 2016.

Hi Josue, I haven’t been on the Cloud forest in a few years, can’t even remember my password…LOL! Not to many people post there on the palm board, but a lot of people still read it.  There are some amazing garden from Seattle to S.S. BC their all in 8b/9a, I’m stuck in 8a, but my summer are much more humid than theirs, LOL! 

Here are some more pics of the same palm after a really bad winter in 2013. 

 

 

 

 

CausiariuminSeattle_zps60a5ac08.jpg

seattlecausarium2_zps9cf88d92.jpg

Edited by Palm crazy
5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I do have one small (baby) sabal burmudana in my garden, but thats the only one I have. So far doing good for me and produced two leaves a year, LOL! 

Edited by Palm crazy
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great!  It's inspiring to see such a large Sabal in a Northwestern Climate.  I wonder how that palm would look in my high desert 8a environment? If I could just punt 3 months of the year (December, January and February) I could grow many more types of palm to maturity.  What low's has this Causarium seen?

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, ChrisA said:

Great!  It's inspiring to see such a large Sabal in a Northwestern Climate.  I wonder how that palm would look in my high desert 8a environment? If I could just punt 3 months of the year (December, January and February) I could grow many more types of palm to maturity.  What low's has this Causarium seen?

I am sure it has seen low 20’s but the owner did say once he got down to 17F which is his lowest in the pass 25 years. So solid 8b, but most winters are 9a.  If I was you I would try all kinds of Sabal and brahea too. 

 

Also here is another exotic palm in the same garden with the owner ( John ) for scale. Brahea edulis guadalupe.  This palm was planted a long time ago as 15 gallon. Now has a trunk. Pretty exotic for this far north. 

871900848_LqjeV-XL.jpg

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also that photo above is from 2010 (only one I have ) so it much bigger today. 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Palm crazy said:

Hi Josue, I haven’t been on the Cloud forest in a few years, can’t even remember my password…LOL! Not to many people post there on the palm board, but a lot of people still read it.  There are some amazing garden from Seattle to S.S. BC their all in 8b/9a, I’m stuck in 8a, but my summer are much more humid than theirs, LOL! 

Same here! I should try to find my password, I'm sure it's written down somewhere. The Pacific coast is really mild compared to the Atlantic coast. There are some very large, century-old phoenix canariensis as far north as Arcata, Eureka and Crescent City. I think Brookings, Coos Bay, North Bend and other coastal towns in Oregon might have some old canariensis and washingtonia as well. Here's a link with pictures showing even an archontophoenix and Syagrus in Brooking! The ocean influence really does help regulate temperatures - both in summer and winter.

 

Coos Bay is about 43 degrees north of the equator. Try getting any of those species to survive even the mildest of microclimates at 43 degrees north along the Atlantic (just about where Portland, Maine is). 

 

http://www.cloudforest.com/northwest/forum/20102924.html

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Thanks Man!

That was a great thread on Exotic’s & Palm’s in Oregon.  For sure the most northern growing Syagrus,  Archontophoenix, and Phoenix in North America. It would be awesome to see what they look like today.  Western WA is 85% marine, the other 15% is when the wind blows from the east and makes us either hot or cold depending on the time of year. 

 

 

 

Edited by Palm crazy
1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great Brahea edulis.  I wish my all time low was around 17.  I think there have been 1 or 2 winters that only got that cold in the last 30 years or so.  The warmest low temperature if I remember the records correctly for Albuquerque was 19. We've never had a 9a or higher winter.  We've had very many 8a, a smattering of 8b, and all too many 7b down to 6a within that period of time.  The record low is -17F, I believe in 1971. There were additional winters in the late 60's which got nearly that cold as well.

 

I have planted a Sabal Birmingham which has handled this past winter very well. I covered it with a Styrofoam cooler on about 10 of the coldest nights to protect it.  Also have a Sabal uresana which was covered with a plastic, unheated greenhouse for the winter. It suffered only some minor leaf-tip burning. Planning on trying a Brahea armata as well as SailorBold has had good success with this palm in this climate.

 

Are there any photos of Sabal palmetto in the NW in a zone 8a?  I know they are fond of summer heat (which I have in abundance), and are also fond of water (which I don't have in abundance).  What other species of Sabal can you find in the NW?  Thanks for sharing.

 

-Chris

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got down to 12F three time one winter and the warmest winter for me was 28F. Not bad for 8a I think, LOL!  

Sounds like you know what you’re doing with protection techniques and growing hardy heat loving palms. I think your climate and SaliorBold are pretty close so I would grow what he’s trying. 

About 12- 15 years ago there were several people that got large mature Sabal palmetto ( 10’-14’ trunks) from FL, but they all died I think a few years later in a really bad winter. I know one smaller one in Oregon that was in the ground for 10 years and only had 5’ of trunk, that one died too. Fast forward today and their are some new and old palm growers in WA and BC that are trying palmetto again, but much smaller like 5 gallons. So far they have all done well. Sorry I couldn’t fine any large ones on the net. And a lot of those people are also trying… some of the hardy sabals from Plants Delight. 

Oh!  BTW Seattle had it first 100F ever, two years ago, My record is 104F… LOL! Mild here but not a lot of heat. 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

awesome thread!  Great to see so many great palms doing well that far north! 

I wonder what the difference is up there between your zone 8A and VA beach zone 8A where sabal palmetto thrive away from the ocean and last for decades. Va beach occasionally has cold snaps into the teens even rarely low teens (RARE).   Perhaps its the much hotter summers there? 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I think heat make all the difference, with sabal palmetto. 

Edited by Palm crazy
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, ChrisA said:

Great Brahea edulis.  I wish my all time low was around 17.  I think there have been 1 or 2 winters that only got that cold in the last 30 years or so.  The warmest low temperature if I remember the records correctly for Albuquerque was 19. We've never had a 9a or higher winter.  We've had very many 8a, a smattering of 8b, and all too many 7b down to 6a within that period of time.  The record low is -17F, I believe in 1971. There were additional winters in the late 60's which got nearly that cold as well.

 

I have planted a Sabal Birmingham which has handled this past winter very well. I covered it with a Styrofoam cooler on about 10 of the coldest nights to protect it.  Also have a Sabal uresana which was covered with a plastic, unheated greenhouse for the winter. It suffered only some minor leaf-tip burning. Planning on trying a Brahea armata as well as SailorBold has had good success with this palm in this climate.

 

Are there any photos of Sabal palmetto in the NW in a zone 8a?  I know they are fond of summer heat (which I have in abundance), and are also fond of water (which I don't have in abundance).  What other species of Sabal can you find in the NW?  Thanks for sharing.

Seems very similar to our climate up here in Wichita. Record low is around -17F...I know of Sabal minor and rhapidophyllum (of course) growing here unprotected, along with Sabal birmingham, S. louisiana, S. brazoria, and most shocking of all, Sabal palmetto.  

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems very similar to our climate up here in Wichita. Record low is around -17F...I know of Sabal minor and rhapidophyllum (of course) growing here unprotected, along with Sabal birmingham, S. louisiana, S. brazoria, and most shocking of all, Sabal palmetto. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, I totally messed up that formatting...anyway, quote ChrisA's latest post...:blush:

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, that would seem pretty similar to your climate as far as extremes go. I may differ in that I do not have many days which stay below freezing.  This year there weren't any days where the max was less than 35 degrees this winter. 

 

I can't help but keep returning to this thread to drool over the Brahea edulis. Jealousy is such an awful thing....  :violin:

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The garden is across from bayview park in magnolia, not west Seattle. Either way here is an update. All photos taken today 3/31/2017. 

 

33636399161_7542ccdcda_z.jpg

33636397991_d98ac977e2_z.jpg

33636397191_b7487d7704_z.jpg

33380962660_910e37c851_z.jpg

33380954900_bf59c254db_z.jpg

33636390401_822cdcf082_z.jpg

33380951540_5676cfbafb_z.jpg

33636389101_742239b3aa_z.jpg

33636395371_189d0340c1_z.jpg

33380960870_6179ab5391_z.jpg

33380957850_dc5e1f7da6_z.jpg

33636391851_3b1dd2bd3c_z.jpg

33636393841_971dc90dd0_z.jpg

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Nick thanks for all the update pics! Glad everything is looking fabulous! Do you have any other pics from Seattle or Tacoma? Some time this year or maybe it has all ready been published? There is a fantastic palm garden in Tacoma ( Browns point ) that will be in HPI ( hardy palm international), I’m not a member so I won’t be able to see it, but if you do that is one garden I would love to see. I am hoping to see it sometime late summer. Lots of exotic and really tall palms. 

I saw so many gardens in the Seattle area with Alan (Alon) being my guide that I forgot what part of Seattle I was in… Magnolia is a very mild spot for sure. Thanks again.

Edited by Palm crazy
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

No problem, Glad to share. I posted a group of Jubaea in the Washington part arboretum from last June. I also went by there yesterday but it was too crowded for me to stay and get good pictures. They are all looking healthy and growing. Some of the young ones still had their leaves wrapped up from the winter. Ill go back on a quiet day during the week in a month or two and get some pictures. I have some pics from jungle fever exotics back in August, they have a few sizable Butia. I don't know if I posted them or not. There are two more places I know of, one near me and one downtown. The one downtown has a Jubaea and the one near me has a Butia. Its hard the get pictures of them because they are understandably kind of tucked away. They are both about the size of the Butia in that last post.

Im not a member either. Is this the garden you're talking about?

https://www.google.com/maps/@47.3004272,-122.4391304,3a,59.6y,324.96h,80.9t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sjmOzn8Qz6kJoALjuwCQUrA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Edited by nick206
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

38 minutes ago, nick206 said:

No problem, Glad to share. I posted a group of Jubaea in the Washington part arboretum from last June. I also went by there yesterday but it was too crowded for me to stay and get good pictures. They are all looking healthy and growing. Some of the young ones still had their leaves wrapped up from the winter. Ill go back on a quiet day during the week in a month or two and get some pictures. I have some pics from jungle fever exotics back in August, they have a few sizable Butia. I don't know if I posted them or not. There are two more places I know of, one near me and one downtown. The one downtown has a Jubaea and the one near me has a Butia. Its hard the get pictures of them because they are understandably kind of tucked away. They are both about the size of the Butia in that last post.

Im not a member either. Is this the garden you're talking about?

https://www.google.com/maps/@47.3004272,-122.4391304,3a,59.6y,324.96h,80.9t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sjmOzn8Qz6kJoALjuwCQUrA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Yeah that was some amazing pics you took of the Jubaea’s…. http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/50340-jubaea-collection-seattle/#comment-768597

I haven’t visited Jungle Fever in probably 10 years…. so please do show pictures Of Jerry place, when you get a minute, Thanks! 

Yes that is the place I was talking about, have you ever visited that garden? The owner and wife are artist and Vladimir came to my garden back in 2005 with the palm society members. It been a long time since I’ve been there but the last time I talk to him, he said that the garden has had a big makeover and I need to come see it. His Butia is like 25- 30 years old and is huge I have heard. 

I envy those solid 8b, Puget Sound Gardens! 

Edited by Palm crazy
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking good.  I am surprised to see sabals (non dwarfs) growing to that size in the PNW. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Similar Content

    • Just ordered my Chamaerops humilis var. cerifera!!!
      By mdsonofthesouth
      So on a whim I checked out my wishlist at plant delights nursery and saw that the Chamaerops humilis var. cerifera were being sold again! I have been looking to get these to match my standard chamerops humilis for a while now. So I promptly ordered 2 (might order more lol) to start with and will be garage "greenhouse" keeping them until at least March 2018. Depending on size and health come spring will determine if I plant or just pot up again and "greenhouse" them for another winter. Eitherway great way to spend your lunch break!
    • How I "winterize" my palms
      By mdsonofthesouth
      Hey yall just wanted to show you what I do to protect my palms here in Maryland that seemed to work for my chamerops humilis. Should hopefully work on the trachycarpus and maybe even the livistona chinensis.  Really hoping I can get all of them through the winter! Canopy coming in December hopefully to help keep all the cold rain we get out of the crown. Wish me luck lol.
       

       
       
       
       
       
       
    • Are they the same palm or different?
      By mdsonofthesouth
      Sabal x texensis 'Brazoria' or Sabal minor var. louisiana. They both seem to come from relatively close to each other as well as sharing the same hardiness. Both are trunking and both might come from a hybridization of palmetto and minor. Please someone educate me on these palms Im considering them, but dont want a minor/trunkless palm outside needles and the sabal minor my grandma gave me. Thanks!
    • Some Myrtle Beach palms
      By Brad Mondel
      I found a Phoenix reclinata at Broadway at the beach, a nice microclimate:

      zone 8b. If you’re interested I have more pictures of other palms as well. 
    • What temp should I really worry at?
      By mdsonofthesouth
      I know the Livistona chinensis isnt going to do well where I am, but the clump was cheap as dirt and I planted it anyways. Worst case its a perennial until I can get my seedling sabal minor to a plantation size. But what temperature should I start worrying about this clump? I might just do a permanent greenhouse for it so it will have a head start in 2018 and will trunk better than it has this year. 
       
      I have 7 trachycarpus fortunei that are well rooted and while all have put out several fronds since march (feel like even the slower ones have put out 10+ ythis year but Ive been bad at recording progress) Im worried about their first winter. While some have started putting out large fronds starting in early summer, and all have a good rooting I want to protect my investment and will be doing mulching + rope lights on the mulch + canopy to prevent wet feet. What temps should I worry about these first year palms? I know they will be fine in a few years but Id like to know what yall think from your experiences. The tag said hardy to 10F per Home Depot and I know the stats online, but these are a fresh plantation as of march 2017 and any insight from those who have done marginal plantation would be much appreciated.

      As an FYI for my chamerops humilis I used 15F as the marker for the temp greenhouse and that worked very well as that palm even grew during the winter! Thanks yall!