IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sabal miamiensis Seeds for sale

PalmatierMeg

This trunkless palm is/was native to a small area of the S FL east coast but is now believed extinct in the wild. I was given my palm by a local palm friend who germinated it from seeds collected by long time PTer. It is sometimes quaintly called the "praying hands palm" because its leaves are so costapalmate the leaflets interlock like fingers. Some sources now claim this species is only a variation of Sabal etonia. I am in the opposite camp. S. etonia is native to north central FL and separated from S.m. by 100s of miles. I have both species and my S.m. has thrived but my last remaining S.e., a year younger, struggles to survive in my alkaline sand. It is less than 24" tall and 36" wide and finally flowered this year. I can hold its entire output in the palm of my hand. My S.m. produces large seeds prolifically. I may not be a palm expert, but I see no way these two palms are the same species.

There was lively discussion of this Sabal in the listing I posted last year. Here is a link to that topic: http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/47869-sabal-miamiensis-seeds-for-sale/#comment-734847

Now is your chance to grow and preserve this rare species of Sabal.

50 seeds for $10.00

100 seeds for $15.00

Shipping in padded envelope: $4.00 in the U.S for up to 200 seeds. (Except HI which specifically prohibits importation of Sabal seeds)

NOTE: I will ship up to 100 seeds to other countries for $15.00 shipping. I'm sorry the charge is so high, but International shipping from the US went up 50% last year even for a 1 oz. packet of palm seeds.  Also, I can't be responsible if your customs seizes your seeds. I must declare contents of envelopes on a US Gov't website and cannot lie.

Payment via Paypal

PM me if you are interested

58dae6617f25f_Sabalmiamiensisseeds012-9-58dae66f9ae18_Sabalmiamiensis017-10-15.t58dae67e3efe4_Sabalmiamiensis026-16-15.t

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

I grew a few hundred of these the last time Meg had them posted.  They are surprisingly good growers and quite cold tolerant.

14 hours ago, dalmatiansoap said:

Anybody in EU willing to share a package?

Yes, I'm from Czech, I want to buy this Sabal too, send me please pm, we can make a deal :)

I will say that living about 400 meters away from Meg as the crow flies, I have seen this palm, and it is a very nice, pure specimen of S. miamiensis. 

• Upvote 1

Christian Faulkner

Venice, Florida - South Sarasota County.

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε

15 hours ago, cfkingfish said:

I will say that living about 400 meters away from Meg as the crow flies, I have seen this palm, and it is a very nice, pure specimen of S. miamiensis. 

Have you gone to palmweb.org? There is no listing for miamiensis. Dig a little deeper and you find it is synonymous with etonia. The same person who 'discovered' this palm, runs that site, so that ends the debate for me. 

1 hour ago, Mandrew968 said:

Have you gone to palmweb.org? There is no listing for miamiensis. Dig a little deeper and you find it is synonymous with etonia. The same person who 'discovered' this palm, runs that site, so that ends the debate for me. 

Andrew-

I have discussed it with him personally regarding the species, and I am going to stick with it is at least a distinct variation of the etonia at the very least. I could write a lot more but I have been up all night and will probably ramble on and make no sense.  

Christian Faulkner

Venice, Florida - South Sarasota County.

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε

Any idea as to what temsp they can take? Are they closer to sabal minor or sabal palmetto? 

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

19 minutes ago, mdsonofthesouth said:

Any idea as to what temsp they can take? Are they closer to sabal minor or sabal palmetto? 

No idea yet. ill put a few in the ground but will never approach temps that burn a palmetto. I sold a few to Oklahoma and South Carolina folks so hopefully they will offer feedback. 

• 1 month later...
12 hours ago, DavidLee said:

Meg, do you still have Sabal miamiensis seed?

Yes, I do. PM me if you are interested.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.