IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Advice needed

Skyline

Is my palm tree dying? Any advice on what could be wrong? The leafs are turning yellow and some brown.

Cheers

2vchjrb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Looks pretty good from that photo. The browning might be some cold damage. How cold did you get? Did you protect the palm? Use supplemental heat? The yellowing might indicate it needs some good time-release fertilizer with micro nutrients. Do you fertilize? If not, do so when the weather and the ground warm up. Fertilizing in winter/cold weather can cause more trouble than good.

Welcome to PalmTalk

• Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Thanks for reply. I'm new to palm trees and this is actually my first one. It got pretty cold here over the winter but only to about -2C. I haven't fed yet as I didn't think you were meant to in winter as you say. Hopefully your right and it juat needs a good feed. Would you reccomended leaving or pruning the dying/yellow leafs?

cheers

Edited by Skyline

Palm looks fine to me.  The hose, on the other hand, will explode eventually.  I've had no luck with those expanding hoses.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Yeah the hose isn't great I must admit lol. Just useful for washing car as it reaches round front of house.

Looks good to me, It's just settling in. Looks like a new garden good luck with it.  What part of the UK are you.:greenthumb:

Edited by Jungle Jas.
more information.

Yeah garden is brand new. Just figuring out where everything is going to go. Will be turfing the lawn shortly. A friend offered me the palm from his garden he didn't want anynore as he was moving away.

Here is another angel. From what everyone has said so far I'm hoping just needs to settle in and have a good feed.

11qsjn6.jpg

29 minutes ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

Looks ok. Do not cut off anything that isnt completely brown and dry

Leave the leaves!  Brown leaf tips could mean it needs some water.

Curious to know, how deep did you plant it?

The root ball was about 17inches in height and probably about 22ish in width. The hole I dug was probably another 4 to 5 inch deeper and wider. Also when I planted it I put about 1 inch of trunk under the soil. Should I of done that or was it a mistake?

Cheers

21 hours ago, Skyline said:

The root ball was about 17inches in height and probably about 22ish in width. The hole I dug was probably another 4 to 5 inch deeper and wider. Also when I planted it I put about 1 inch of trunk under the soil. Should I of done that or was it a mistake?

Cheers

I would advise against burying the trunk. 1 inch isn't terrible but I would excavate that inch.  Make the ground level, ground level. 

6 hours ago, Jamesasb said:

I would fertilise and foliar feed also right now. 

If the palm has been in the ground and rooted in for at least 3 months, this is a good idea.  If it is a recent plant out, hold off on any fertilization. 

13 hours ago, Hammer said:

If the palm has been in the ground and rooted in for at least 3 months, this is a good idea.  If it is a recent plant out, hold off on any fertilization. 

Why would you not fertilise if it is recent? mine do better to be fertilised heavily when they are newly planted. if not they go yellow in the first winter and dont grow much

Looks very healthy to me. Brown tips and such can come from harder winters and high drying winds.  Follow the advice here and you should be golden.  I def would only plant it LEVEL with the ground where it was before.  You probably want to dig it and plant it so the very base of the palm is level with the surface of the ground.   Otherwise it should be fine.    Welcome to the forum! This is an excellent place to be just for casual people that have a few palms on up to the crazed palm bug bitten palm crazy freaks. LOL!    Awesome bunch and the trove of knowledge contained here ins almost endless.  

11 hours ago, Jamesasb said:

Why would you not fertilise if it is recent? mine do better to be fertilised heavily when they are newly planted. if not they go yellow in the first winter and dont grow much

Palms have a natural ratio of roots to leaves.  Palms in pots or dug from the ground have an artificial imbalance in this ratio.

Newly planted palms can often appear to stall or slow down their growth.  This is because the palm is putting its energy into growing roots.

Fertilizers will trigger the palm to sprout new green growth.  Without the needed root mass to support the new growth palms are more vulnerable to warm or cold temperature extremes and to dry weather too.  

The best thing one can do for their palms at planting are things to create growth and health under ground.  If you plant in the Spring there is plenty of time in late summer to get an application or two of fertilizer prior to winter.

Think roots.

Cheers for all the advice guys I'll keep this updated over next few weeks and let you all know how it's doing.