IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Who is growing Hydriastele ramsayi?

kylecawazafla

On 12/24/2019 at 3:58 PM, greysrigging said:

Not that common a palm in cultivation even in Darwin which is only 100 miles from where there are naturally occurring stands.

They grow naturally 40 to 45 kms from Darwin (as the crow flies) that I know of.  There may be some closer, but not to my knowledge.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tropicbreeze said:

They grow naturally 40 to 45 kms from Darwin (as the crow flies) that I know of.  There may be some closer, but not to my knowledge.

I only know the ones out near Wildman River.... The ones you speak of on the eastern side of the Adelaide River ? Must be some out in Djukbinl National Park / Scotts Creek way ?

• Like 1

Could be in Djukbinj (don't know about Scotts Ck). But it's definitely around Cape Hotham and on the Darwin side of the Adelaide, on the Gunn Pt peninsula.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/13/2019 at 11:46 AM, Hillizard said:

Just got notice today that I won't be getting the Hydriastele ramsayi seeds I ordered a month ago (see below). I wonder if I can get a refund from Rare Palm Seeds (Tobias Spanner)? I really was looking forward to growing them too! :( Hope those in other states have better luck!

PalmSeedsIntercepted.png

Second try... with better results! I got this palm seed order within a week of it being shipped. It's great that the RPS website allows customers to track their order status online.  Now begin the preparations and the waiting for germination results! :unsure:

RarePalmSeeds-Jan2020.png

• Like 2

On 1/30/2020 at 10:42 AM, Hillizard said:

Second try... with better results! I got this palm seed order within a week of it being shipped. It's great that the RPS website allows customers to track their order status online.  Now begin the preparations and the waiting for germination results! :unsure:

RarePalmSeeds-Jan2020.png

BTW, the seeds of all three of these species sank immediately when I put them in water to soak, so that was encouraging. Today I'm putting them in containers of media to germinate, with a heating pad underneath them.  My red dwarf Tahiti coconut I soaked for three days in a deep bowl, then put it in a plastic bag with some water. It'll also sit on a heating pad until it sprouts. :36_14_15[1]:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Hello there,

I am in, too. Got my delivery a week ago - let's see if soemthing happens with the seeds. :greenthumb:

best regards from Okinawa -

Lars

On 2/9/2020 at 3:58 AM, palmfriend said:

Hello there,

I am in, too. Got my delivery a week ago - let's see if something happens with the seeds. :greenthumb:

Lars

Lars: A couple of my B. alfredii seeds from this recent order have already germinated.  But it's the Hydriastele ramsayi I most want to see sprout!

19 hours ago, Hillizard said:

Lars: A couple of my B. alfredii seeds from this recent order have already germinated.  But it's the Hydriastele ramsayi I most want to see sprout!

I see. My last order contained seeds of Hydriastele ramsayi, Neoveitchia brunnea, Brahea armata and Carpoxylon macrospermum. Without doubt, 

the Hydriastele seeds are certainly the most challenging ones. 

B. alfredii seeds are trouble free, ordered them five years ago and have now six plants in the ground, seven still potted. 

Btw., this is the only Hydriastele that survived a rampaging mouse in my greenhouse after a super strong typhoon last August, destroying 50 seedlings.

I thought it was  a goner but came back and looks pretty healthy...

011-hc.thumb.jpg.e118a52872f20d8c54b33a298360ea52.jpg

Hydriastele costata.

@kylecawazafla : No hijacking intended!

Lars

• Like 1

4 hours ago, palmfriend said:

I see. My last order contained seeds of Hydriastele ramsayi, Neoveitchia brunnea, Brahea armata and Carpoxylon macrospermum. Without doubt, 

the Hydriastele seeds are certainly the most challenging ones. 

B. alfredii seeds are trouble free, ordered them five years ago and have now six plants in the ground, seven still potted. 

Btw., this is the only Hydriastele that survived a rampaging mouse in my greenhouse after a super strong typhoon last August, destroying 50 seedlings.

I thought it was  a goner but came back and looks pretty healthy...

011-hc.thumb.jpg.e118a52872f20d8c54b33a298360ea52.jpg

Hydriastele costata.

@kylecawazafla : No hijacking intended!

Lars

Your H. costata looks great! I hope it keeps on growing this year. :greenthumb:

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Hi,

I just checked my seeds...

hr01.thumb.jpg.56d1dc2a995b48cb220b0bb5e4bbcad9.jpg

Got two sprouts!:greenthumb:

I am going to pot them up now -

best regards 

Lars

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, palmfriend said:

Hi,

I just checked my seeds...

hr01.thumb.jpg.56d1dc2a995b48cb220b0bb5e4bbcad9.jpg

Got two sprouts!:greenthumb:

I am going to pot them up now -

best regards 

Lars

Congratulations Lars! Would love to know your germination technique(s) to get them to sprout. Were those seeds from RPS? I've been told by a mate in Oz that the initial roots are extremely delicate, so be very cautious when you repot in the future.  Keep us posted on their progress!!

Thank you very much!

Yes, these seeds were from rps. My usual germination method are bags or smaller boxes with Canadian peat moss, but this time I used a 

much larger box, ...

b01.thumb.JPG.cf4600c992f23f885ba88904c802f3f2.JPG

...and I have to say, that almost everything I toss in there sprouts. I do not really know why, maybe the air circulation and humidity (I spray it every other with rain water) 

is much better than in a much smaller box. It is placed close to the window. I cover it in spring and fall, when the sun stands deeper and shines fully into the window - now it is

not necessary. I found out about this "magic box" when I started to put all kind of seeds into it - from grapefruit, oranges and watermelon etc... - and everything popped 

up. With this little phenomenon in mind I placed the Hydriastele and Brahea seeds from the last rps delivery in this box and got not disappointed. All Brahea seeds have 

already sprouted and are now potted up or already planted out, today - as described - I found two sprouted Hydriastele seeds - let's see, if more is going to happen. 

The box is filled with the same peat moss I am always using...

b02.thumb.JPG.7598fd4761b8f63776fe2938417ffb91.JPG

...but I got to say that this box is NOT airtight as all my other ones - so, air goes in and out - which might be the key feature (but I am just guessing).

Plants are potted up - and thank you again for mentioning the root's sensitivity, I read about that, too -  ...

b03.thumb.JPG.7add9d57afd88e0e48756ddfa19b4591.JPG

...these pots should be good for at least two years. 

Alright, I hope this helps somehow - I will keep the forum updated,

best regards from Okinawa

Lars

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

just a quick update.

003.thumb.jpg.162eef7b6b9f2843266cfe691d27f880.jpg

I am surprised - this is already number four out of 20 I have ordered. It seems I got lucky with this batch.

Here are the first two sprouts...

001.thumb.jpg.f2f12af6a86609580330e9330e57a67a.jpg

002.thumb.jpg.c56d55c770efb4e844983e1ed4822ee2.jpg

Looking good so far! I hope I don't "screw" it during the next two years before planting out or re-potting.

I'll keep you updated.

best regards

Lars

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

~ Nine months from receiving the RPS seeds, the first of my Hydriastele ramsayi has decided to emerge! Perhaps the heatwave we've had over the past month helped? This time I hope to be able to raise at least one of this palm species past the seedling stage. Of course in my impatience I reordered more seeds just before this one sprouted! In the future would be nice to donate any that grow to California palmetums that meet its temperature requirements. :D

Hydriastele_ramsayi2020.png

• Like 3

On 9/9/2020 at 11:32 AM, Hillizard said:

~ Nine months from receiving the RPS seeds, the first of my Hydriastele ramsayi has decided to emerge! Perhaps the heatwave we've had over the past month helped? This time I hope to be able to raise at least one of this palm species past the seedling stage. Of course in my impatience I reordered more seeds just before this one sprouted! In the future would be nice to donate any that grow to California palmetums that meet its temperature requirements. :D

Cultivation:

"Domesticating this species has proved slow, mainly due to the horrendous germination rate, 1% being usual, and this after waiting 12 months or more. Seed is planted in deep trays, as long brittle roots are formed. When finally the first strap leaf appears, extra care is needed moving them into pots, using one big enough to accommodate two years growth. Lightly fertilize and keep damp until 4 to 6 stiff bifid leaves are produced. Then they are planted out in dappled shade, as further growth seems unlikely, After gaining only 1 or 2 leaves in their first year they accelerate into more than normal growth rates, producing longer, pinnate, arching leaves. Plentiful water, good drainage and light fertilizing are necessary."

"Rarely available from nurseries, most H. ramsayi are grown by enthusiasts for their own use. Once established, the Kentia is a lovely, easily maintained addition to the garden, its blue-green foliage contrasting with the creamy crownshaft."

Hydriastele_ramsayi09.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

On 9/10/2020 at 3:32 AM, Hillizard said:

Hydriastele_ramsayi2020.png

Congratulations and wishing you all the best!!!

My four young ones are doing well so far...

hr001.thumb.jpg.6394e3905c411eadcf97fdee40358811.jpg

I'll keep you posted -

Lars

• Like 2

On 9/13/2020 at 1:39 AM, palmfriend said:

Congratulations and wishing you all the best!!!

My four young ones are doing well so far...

I'll keep you posted -

Lars

:greenthumb: Lars: Great news! Thanks for posting an update. I've now very carefully put mine in a pot similar to yours.

• 2 weeks later...

Appreciate Rare Palm Seeds sending me a PDF invoice of my latest order, along with a tracking number for the shipment. It used to be a mystery when the seeds would arrive. It seems like all seeds sent to U.S. destinations now come with the added expense of a phyto$$anitary certificate to ensure delivery.  :bummed:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

a short visual update of my four H. ramasayi.

hr04.thumb.jpg.e851fd169884c0431710cf07c0fbfa35.jpg

Trouble free growth so far! They look very well.

Lars

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, palmfriend said:

Hi there,

Lars

I was not able to germinate a single one. Good for you ! Well done 

• Like 1

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

On 10/12/2020 at 5:26 AM, Really full garden said:

I was not able to germinate a single one. Good for you ! Well done 

Thank you very much! Let's see how long my luck with this species will last - I will let the forum know!

Honestly I think, it is all about timing (picking, delivering, ordering, getting delivered and then the right treatment)

which decides about success or failure. We, as collectors, are the last part in the chain and can be lucky or not.

For instance, I have ordered several batches of C. macrospermum seeds over the time but I never got a single one sprouted, never.

They rod away whatever I never do. Several other species I gave a try, too...

But it is ok, this time I got lucky and I will gladly share my experiences here on palmtalk.

Lars

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/10/2020 at 6:14 PM, palmfriend said:

Hi there,

Lars

Lars: Thanks so much for posting an update on the progress of your Hydriastele ramsayi seedlings. They look very healthy! Below is a picture of mine I just took. The first true leaf is just now emerging. For reasons that are unclear, the tap root has pushed the seedling across the surface of the soil, but it looks okay otherwise. Perhaps the sandy soil was too compacted? Anyway, the plant gets hours of direct sun each day and the humidity is kept high in its plastic bag enclosure. Still waiting on more seeds of this species from RPS that were shipped on Sept. 5 of this year. Perhaps U.S. phytosanitary inspections and mail delays have slowed down delivery? :unsure:

Hydriastele_ramsayi.png

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Hillizard said:

Lars: Thanks so much for posting an update on the progress of your Hydriastele ramsayi seedlings. They look very healthy! Below is a picture of mine I just took. The first true leaf is just now emerging. For reasons that are unclear, the tap root has pushed the seedling across the surface of the soil, but it looks okay otherwise. Perhaps the sandy soil was too compacted? Anyway, the plant gets hours of direct sun each day and the humidity is kept high in its plastic bag enclosure. Still waiting on more seeds of this species from RPS that were shipped on Sept. 5 of this year. Perhaps U.S. phytosanitary inspections and mail delays have slowed down delivery? :unsure:

Hydriastele_ramsayi.png

Hi,

it looks good - thank you for posting! 

That the roots sometimes pushing the very young seedling "around" happens over here, too - but making gently a new hole for the seedling and moving it back in place 

solved the case usually. Never lost a plant because of that. 

Regarding my four ones...

hr001.thumb.jpg.3bf046bdbd4367dce094e69d8de7140b.jpg

...everything is still fine - 

hr002.thumb.jpg.93d5d04cc82d6c0d5ca8343a4a853879.jpg

One has its second leave emerging. :greenthumb:

Lars

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

With a 1% germination rate overall, I celebrate anytime there's evidence of life among my Hydriastele ramsayi seeds! This is the first sprout among the second batch of RPS seeds I got on Nov. 2, 2020. In preparation I surface sterilized them, put them on damp sphagnum moss, in a plastic container, on a seed germination heating pad, next to a south-facing window. Hopefully there will be more to follow. :unsure:

Hydriastele_ramsayi2021.png

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Update: From two separate batches of RPS seeds I've now managed to coax four Hydriastele ramsayi  to germinate. Hopefully I'll get a few more to sprout. The oldest one is now putting out its second true leaf. Below is one of the younger seedlings. I'm keeping them under very humid conditions, on a germination pad, next to a south-facing window. Will be interesting to see how they do outdoors here -- with protection -- this summer. :hmm:

Hydriastele.png

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I had a kind of planting day today and while I was still in the mood I took a long sharp

look at one of my Hydriasteles and finally thought: "Why not....?" 

x2.thumb.jpg.aacce13be2600745a148187f9f96f2fd.jpg

In shade, wind protected and heavily marked with some larger stones - probably the first

Hydriastele ramsayi ever planted out in Japan... Fingers crossed!

Lars

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...
On 4/10/2021 at 12:30 AM, palmfriend said:

Hi,

I had a kind of planting day today and while I was still in the mood I took a long sharp

look at one of my Hydriasteles and finally thought: "Why not....?" 

x2.thumb.jpg.aacce13be2600745a148187f9f96f2fd.jpg

In shade, wind protected and heavily marked with some larger stones - probably the first

Hydriastele ramsayi ever planted out in Japan... Fingers crossed!

Lars

Lars: Can you give us an update on how your H. ramsayi are doing, esp. the one you planted outside? While I had excellent germination from the RPS seeds I got, they all declined after they pushed out 2-3 leaves. There must be something I missed in cultivating them. I'm tempted to try again. Let us know if you've been successful. 😉

On 2/9/2020 at 9:58 AM, bubba said:

Found one more ancient Hydriastele longispatha!8D0ACDCF-B558-4383-B8E6-03C0BB48900D.thumb.jpeg.86adb9cefd02afd501bf253fabaa3970.jpegFBDFF5FA-EEFB-4E88-B720-48E620A718A5.thumb.jpeg.f9256bfb80ee7887c5ec2535b30ade0f.jpeg

Wow! Cool find!

• Like 1

On 8/31/2022 at 10:51 AM, Hillizard said:

Lars: Can you give us an update on how your H. ramsayi are doing, esp. the one you planted outside? While I had excellent germination from the RPS seeds I got, they all declined after they pushed out 2-3 leaves. There must be something I missed in cultivating them. I'm tempted to try again. Let us know if you've been successful. 😉

Hi,

I am sorry for your loss (!) and this late reply but while being busy at work we are right now in the middle of an approaching typhoon...

I did what I could as always but some of my palms' faith is now in nature's hand - too big to be secured - others are still

small enough to set up some protection, valuable (still) potted species were moved inside. This is were we are at the moment,

from now on it is hoping for the best and preparing for the worst...

Al right, back to the topic:

My last year planted out H. ramsayi is doing well - I read somewhere here on pt, that in habitat they just sit there for a while and then 

start to grow - my potted remaining three plants had probably a hard time with our rain season, followed by a heat wave with almost

no rain for seven weeks. However, their newest leave is looking good (again), I am going to plant them out, too - probably next spring.

Enough talking, here are some photos taken during the last three days.

hr001.thumb.jpg.d0dd398d82a0b2e2454f9bf313658654.jpg

Planted out last year's spring and having no trouble at all,...

hr002.thumb.jpg.0ea01462879c0c56f5917d6042c523db.jpg

...looking pretty healthy. I always give it some extra water from time to time - that's it. The blocks on the left are an additional measure against the upcoming typhoon, because

I don't want to loose this one...)

Indoors, ...

hr003.thumb.jpg.db2f1f169e8d0c86475220f3994c29c1.jpg

Here are the other ones  - a few brown spots here and there but as mentioned above, I think they will be fine.

hr004.thumb.jpg.ce157c92a47a50b31d3c4ca8ba812761.jpg

hr005.thumb.jpg.f4920748ae2402ed132f62c242921f4e.jpg

hr006.thumb.jpg.def800f55873af0bc9edcc819ad9e633.jpg

Ok, I hope this update will be good for the moment - 

best regards 

Lars

• Like 1

11 hours ago, palmfriend said:

Hi,

I am sorry for your loss (!) and this late reply but while being busy at work we are right now in the middle of an approaching typhoon...

I did what I could as always but some of my palms' faith is now in nature's hand - too big to be secured - others are still

small enough to set up some protection, valuable (still) potted species were moved inside. This is were we are at the moment,

from now on it is hoping for the best and preparing for the worst...

Al right, back to the topic:

My last year planted out H. ramsayi is doing well - I read somewhere here on pt, that in habitat they just sit there for a while and then 

start to grow - my potted remaining three plants had probably a hard time with our rain season, followed by a heat wave with almost

no rain for seven weeks. However, their newest leave is looking good (again), I am going to plant them out, too - probably next spring.

Enough talking, here are some photos taken during the last three days.

hr001.thumb.jpg.d0dd398d82a0b2e2454f9bf313658654.jpg

Planted out last year's spring and having no trouble at all,...

hr002.thumb.jpg.0ea01462879c0c56f5917d6042c523db.jpg

...looking pretty healthy. I always give it some extra water from time to time - that's it. The blocks on the left are an additional measure against the upcoming typhoon, because

I don't want to loose this one...)

Indoors, ...

hr003.thumb.jpg.db2f1f169e8d0c86475220f3994c29c1.jpg

Here are the other ones  - a few brown spots here and there but as mentioned above, I think they will be fine.

hr004.thumb.jpg.ce157c92a47a50b31d3c4ca8ba812761.jpg

hr005.thumb.jpg.f4920748ae2402ed132f62c242921f4e.jpg

hr006.thumb.jpg.def800f55873af0bc9edcc819ad9e633.jpg

Ok, I hope this update will be good for the moment - 

best regards 

Lars

Lars: Thanks so much for photographic evidence of your truly excellent horticultural skills with H. ramsayi!! 😄 You may have encouraged me to try again... obviously patience is required and in a little more time their growth rate will accelerate. My hope is that Super Typhoon Hinnamnor has minimal effects on you and yours!. Take care! -- Jeff

• Like 1

On 9/3/2022 at 5:32 AM, Hillizard said:

Lars: Thanks so much for photographic evidence of your truly excellent horticultural skills with H. ramsayi!! 😄 You may have encouraged me to try again... obviously patience is required and in a little more time their growth rate will accelerate. My hope is that Super Typhoon Hinnamnor has minimal effects on you and yours!. Take care! -- Jeff

Jeff, 

Thank you very much for your kind reply! 

Well, the typhoon is slowly moving away but the winds and rainfall are still strong. Family is fine, damages in the garden are not checked yet but it seems that all the taller palms are still there - of course with less leaves than before but they should be al right. 

The internet cable outside got broken due to the typhoon so I will keep it short herewith - I am currently using the phone - 

update will follow  

regards

Lars

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

In my ongoing quest for the success that Lars (i.e. PalmFriend) has enjoyed with H. ramsayi, I've just gotten seeds today from a source other than RPS. All the seeds initially floated, which may not be a good sign?? I'll let you all know if I have germination success.

Was nice that the company sent me bonus seeds of Stretlizia Mandala's Gold too. Also nice that the 'red tape' to get these seeds from overseas was nonexistent. More info is linked under the Palm Exchange forum. 

PalmSeedsGermany.png

• Like 2

Hi,

interesting page - I have just checked it out.

Btw., here are my still potted three H. ramsayi - the planted out one did well for a while and then declined and died within three/four days a couple months ago. (no idea why...)

hr001.thumb.jpg.0c5b9e5fda323aff00eeed99332ea5c8.jpg

The roots are coming out now, so I'll make another try to plant one out or repot them again - not sure yet. They do well so far. 👍

Lars

16 hours ago, palmfriend said:

Hi,

interesting page - I have just checked it out.

Btw., here are my still potted three H. ramsayi - the planted out one did well for a while and then declined and died within three/four days a couple months ago. (no idea why...)

hr001.thumb.jpg.0c5b9e5fda323aff00eeed99332ea5c8.jpg

The roots are coming out now, so I'll make another try to plant one out or repot them again - not sure yet. They do well so far. 👍

Lars

Lars: Thanks. Yours seem to be making slow, steady progress. You're the only active one on this forum who appears to be growing this species of Hydriastele and provides updates. Of the ten seeds I got from the German seed company this month, 6 in water have now plumped up and sunk. Four are still floating. So the viability of these seeds won't be known for awhile.  I'll let you know one way or the other, since it's a species uncommonly offered commercially.

• Like 1

Hey, good on you guys for giving this species a go. Hydriastele is an interesting and varied genus. The larger specimens are imposing, handsome palms which I regret not planting more of. Although not H. ramsayi, there are some H. microcarpa, H. valida, and H. ledermanniana not too far away with a similar look. The photos of H. ramsayi in habitat are so impressive, thriving in that heat and humidity.

If I get motivated, I might start a new thread for Hydriastele other than H. ramsayi.

Tim

• Like 3

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

14 hours ago, Hillizard said:

Lars: Thanks. Yours seem to be making slow, steady progress. You're the only active one on this forum who appears to be growing this species of Hydriastele and provides updates. Of the ten seeds I got from the German seed company this month, 6 in water have now plumped up and sunk. Four are still floating. So the viability of these seeds won't be known for awhile.  I'll let you know one way or the other, since it's a species uncommonly offered commercially.

Jeff,

fingers crossed for your new ones!

About my three own fellas I am a bit concerned because I think our native soil still might be too much of a challenge at this stage. I have lost all of my planted out seed grown Clinostigma palms (samoense, harlandii and ponapense) during the last year for not known reasons... I guess - but it is just a guess - that their roots finally left the pocket of the additional good soil I provided when planting them out and that they probably had enormous stress they couldn't deal with when they tried to get a grip on our local (alcaline) soil. But it is just a guess...

However, let's keep the forum updated about our experiences with this very interesting species - 

Lars

• Like 1