IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

SECOND VISIT TO TASMANIA

Phoenix Bob

Recently returned from a week's stay in Tasmania where we were guests of Tassie Troy and his wife, Danylle.  Both Troy and his wife went far beyond the boundaries of being excellent hosts.  Each took time off from work in order to show us some of the fantastic sights Tasmania has to offer visitors from other corners of the world such as my wife and me.  We have alway contended that New Zealand is our favorite spot on the planet, but Tasmania is closing in on that number one position.  The pristine condition of Australia's southern-most state is superb, and I would suspect that its remote location (250 miles south of mainland Australia) has much to do with its near-perfection status.  For us living in the U.S. (Phoenix), the trip is arduous; 30 hours of travel time (including layovers in Melbourne and L.A.) are usually required.  However, just being able to see Troy's garden in real time is well worth the journey.  His Howeas and Alexanders are sheer perfection as is the entire garden, and he even has a Washingtonia Robusta (I think it is a Nucifera) just to remind me of home .  Troy claims he only has to put two or three hours' work per week into this green masterpiece; I would suspect that much more effort and time would be necessary to achieve the results that Troy displays.  No other location that I have seen during two visits Tasmania comes close to offering the diversity of plant life (palms in particular) that Troy's property does, especially when one considers that Hobart, Tasmania is as far south of the equator as Toronto, Canada is north.  He could easily charge a significant and uncontested admission fee to any and all who would enjoy such a special spectacle.

If possible, don't ever pass up and invitation from Troy to visit.  He and Danylle will gladly show off their beautiful state and Troy's remarkable garden.

We are looking forward to showing Troy and his spouse a bit of the Sonoran Desert, and of course the Grand Canyon, and possibly parts of southwestern Colorado and Santa Fe, New Mexico when they visit in early fall of 2018.  Our only hope is that we can come close to offering the same experience that they provided us in "Tassie" during this past February.

Happy travels,

Phoenix Bob

• Upvote 5

• 1 month later...

My wife and I enjoyed Troy and Danyllle's hospitality two years ago.  I have said this before,..Troy is an excellent grower and a keen observer of his plants. They are also the most gracious hosts. 

(Now I feel the urge to order a 'flat white' )  :winkie:

San Francisco, California