IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Tropical Cyclone 'Debbie'

Tropicgardener

It has been a quiet Cyclone season this year that was until Tropical Cyclone 'Debbie' decided to make her presence known....... Expected to make landfall as a severe Cat 4 Cyclone very close to here....... Not looking forward to the damage and trying to prepare the best I can for her onslaught either Monday or Tuesday.

TC Debbie track map.jpg

• Upvote 2

Andrew,
Airlie Beach, Whitsundays

Tropical Queensland

All the best mate. I just took a look at the BOM's forecast track map and thought of you.

• Upvote 1

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

The bad news is that she has slowed down and as such continues to intensify............ Currently will be a high Category 4 TC when she crosses, possibly even strengthening to Category 5....... She is a huge system too. I have no doubt my garden will be trashed by it.

Andrew,

Tropical Queensland

Are you near a high tide mark or within the flood zone of an estuary at all? They say the crossing is likely around high tide and this time of year they are high high tides. 

• Upvote 1

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Stay safe Andrew!

Wondering how the bagpackers are coping with this weather at the place where I stayed that time. 
Or do they ban or suggest to leave the area in these weahter conditions? 

• Upvote 1

Southwest

This is roughly what missed us last October.  I would be happy to never again see the wreckage of a strong 4 or 5 such as hit south of Miami back in 1992.   

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

On 26/03/2017, 5:36:08, Tropicgardener said:

The bad news is that she has slowed down and as such continues to intensify............ Currently will be a high Category 4 TC when she crosses, possibly even strengthening to Category 5....... She is a huge system too. I have no doubt my garden will be trashed by it.

Let us know how you are once you're back on air mate.

• Upvote 1

The weight of lies will bring you down / And follow you to every town / Cause nothin happens here

That doesn't happen there / So when you run make sure you run / To something and not away from

Cause lies don't need an aero plane / To chase you anywhere

--Avett Bros

Hows it going down there folks?  Made landfall yesterday didn't it?  Whats going on? Everyone ok?  Looks fairly bad from the videos i'm seeing coming in.  Having gone through Matthew and gotten lucky with it in Fort Lauderdale, I can fully understand where you all are at.   Keep us posted!  Best of luck! 

• Upvote 1

Yes....hope everyone is alright.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Glad to hear that Andrew is OK. 

• Upvote 1

270 kph, for US people, is  170 mph.  The US may have seen greater winds in 1935 with the Labor Day storm in the Florida Keys.  

Damage in the lesser 1992 hurricane south of Miami had a distinctive spotty pattern thanks to patches of extra-high wind.  Some areas got hit by two such patches.  I've seen similar patchy damage from other storms: a group of trees torn apart, a house or two wrecked.  

Best wishes to everyone in the area.  When Fairchild Tropical Garden was a bit outside the worst destruction in 1992, volunteers quickly arrived with heavy equipment to reset fallen palms.  Pruning experts from Kew came to help salvage plants.  

What Miami area people found was that the natural vegetation recovered pretty fast, if given some protection from invasive non-native plants.  Gardens with lots of native or Caribbean plants also recovered rather well.   Rebuilding of destroyed buildings, electric power lines, traffic signals, and fruit orchards was a huge undertaking.  Best wishes to everyone affected by Debbie.  

• Upvote 2

Yow, hope you're all right down there!

Even sharks weren't exempt. This deceased shark was found in Ayr, I assume in Queensland.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topstories/sharknado-australian-cyclone-leaves-behind-shark-in-puddle/ar-BBz3yP9?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=spartanntp

58dd2e129be8a_sharkinpuddle.jpg.07bd47a5

• Upvote 3

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Hope everything is OK down there.

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Hello all........ I am back on air mainly due to possessing a petrol generator. My house survived but my property has been heavily damaged. The whole Whitsunday region of Proserpine, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands and Bowen are a disaster area. Power will be off for possibly weeks and many places have no water....... Island resorts have been destroyed and the normally green rainforest clad mountains have been stripped of their foliage. 'Debbie' came ashore as a high end Category 4 Cyclone but she was very long lived........ We were hunkered down for 30 hours whilst winds up to 270kph lashed us. The duration of the storm didn't help matters.

IMG_0591.JPG

• Upvote 4

Andrew,

Tropical Queensland

Good heavens.

:crying:

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Wow that's horrible. Hope you guys are alright (outside of the property damage)

30hrs of winds gusting to 270kmh would feel like an eternity. I can't even imagine it.

Glad you are okay Andrew. It was a massive cyclone and it's remnants are still creating havoc not all that far from my place. I was flooded in for 27 hours, but nothing got into the house. Just a lot of fronds, branches etc everywhere and a million tons of mud and debris for me to clean up. Just think ahead 12 months when it's all new and pretty again.

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

With us, sustained winds of 100-110 kph left most of the leaves on oaks and didn't break too many palm leaves.  By the time you get to 150 or so, oak leaves get stripped and things become a mess.  The worst cat 4-5 winds (US version) can tear a forest of Caribbean trees to pieces.  Sabal palmetto and Livistona species seem among the most wind resistant of palms, according to research that John Dowe did partly at Montgomery Botanical Center.  

Best wishes with the flooding and what will be a long recovery.  

Last September we had one day with wind gusts to 110kph and it brought a few trees down with some down on my property, but that's probably the worst I'd ever see here. If something like TC Debbie moved through my place not a tree would be standing, the winds would have knocked the house down, definitely taken the roof off, and then what was left would be under 8m of water. If I visualise that scenario then I suppose that's what many in QLD and NSW are experiencing right now. But too it's credit it's such a beautiful part of the world and would be worth living there despite any risk like that.