IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Max container size for solo planting

GMann

What is the max container size people are confident they can plant by themselves without help or machinery?

I have a dolly that allows me to move heavy containers around my yard, so the hardest part is getting it off the back of my mini-van and then lowering it into the whole I dig.

I have done 25 gallon containers in the past without any problem. But what about 45 gallon? Is that too heavy to do by one's self?

• Upvote 1

PalmSavannaThumb.jpg

I have containers as small as 150 Liters and as large as 300 liters, neither of which can I lift by myself. I use the Egyptian technique of putting them on 3/4"  galvanized tubes that allow me to roll them around without any problem, However they are above ground, not within the ground.

20170323_141633.jpg.eda817e7d54615b9c5b6

Richard

• Upvote 2

24" box is where I max out for a solo planting (up to a 10-12" multi king palm, for instance.)

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

24" boxes are good. I planted a 65g date on tuesday but i had to cut the pot off.

• Upvote 1

65 gallon? All by yourself? That must have been heavy to move. Did you have to lower it out of a truck?

PalmSavannaThumb.jpg

GMann:

Archimedes is your best bud moving big plants. Levers and leverage. If you're a bit on the heavy side, so much the better. If not, you can manage well. Friends can help, but be prepared for other engagements once the magnitude of the task is explained.

I've planted many 32 gallons. It takes deep holes, and ingenuity. Use boards for levers to horse that rootball into place, and, if needed, straighten it out. If you know you're going to be handling a lot of big plants for a while, get some 2 X 10 (or 2 X 12) by 10 foot boards, and paint them with some Rustoleum to keep them tough. Use to push things, up into the truck, down from out of the truck, and to lower plants into holes. Shorter boards will work, if you're Arnold the Austrian Oak.

You can also lay 2 X 4s on the ground to make a kind of track, then use pipes as rollers for the really big stuff.

Also, it's a good idea to see how heavy the rootball really is, that is, whether it's a total mass of roots, or less so. In the latter case, it often ends up being easier because the ball falls apart, making it lighter.

If you're rasslin' big Phoenix, get some heavy cover for your torso. I recall a cop who used his body armor when planting some.

Let us know how it goes!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I usually carry three 45 gallon containers at a time.  Yeah, I know I only have two hands but I will share a trick I use.  If you juggle them, there is always one in the air.  See!  I lessened the load by 1/3!

• Upvote 2

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

49 minutes ago, Jerry@TreeZoo said:

I usually carry three 45 gallon containers at a time.  Yeah, I know I only have two hands but I will share a trick I use.  If you juggle them, there is always one in the air.  See!  I lessened the load by 1/3!

Works even better with nuclear warheads.

• Upvote 1

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I guess I would question the point of planting such large containers.  My limit is 15-gal. mostly due to availability, price, and health of the palm in the pot for being planted out.  Sure, I could learn to juggle 3 45-gal.:rolleyes: containers too, but WHY? ;):lol:

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Here's my two Palm Boards.

IMG_2224.thumb.JPG.a58d2d35a81619f392ecf

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Kim said:

I guess I would question the point of planting such large containers.  My limit is 15-gal. mostly due to availability, price, and health of the palm in the pot for being planted out.  Sure, I could learn to juggle 3 45-gal.:rolleyes: containers too, but WHY? ;):lol:

Spoken like someone who's just a bit too used to the growth rates achieved in Hawaii. ;)

• Upvote 1

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

65 gallon? All by yourself? That t have been heavy to move. Did you have to lower it out of a truck?

No, I have a tilt bed trailer.  No way I could get a 65G out of the back of the truck without ramps.

4 hours ago, Kim said:

A massive fit of machismo? :)

I just dragged a 24" boxed Tabebuia down a hill and across my yard and planted it alone. I wished I had called a friend or used Dave's Rollers of Doom™...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, msporty said:

I just dragged a 24" boxed Tabebuia down a hill and across my yard and planted it alone. I wished I had called a friend or used Dave's Rollers of Doom™...

Yeah, been there done that.

32 gallon pots are that size, but a lot deeper and harder to dig holes for.

11 hours ago, Jerry@TreeZoo said:

You could just balance one on your head!

But seriously the heaviest I handle by myself are just the fifteen gallon ones.  I gave up on crazy feats of strength after idiotically carrying a large front load washing machine into the house -- by myself -- five years ago.  I kind of hurt my lower back a little, even though I competed in powerlifting in my twenties.

As I toddle into my dotage I'm reluctant to wrestle big plants anymore, especially when there are lots of people who will do it for cheap. My most recent planting was a Sabal mexicana.  It was a beast.

IMG_1645.JPG

• Upvote 5

Thanks for all the responses.

This week I learnt that 25 gallon is my limit. I bought a very heavy 25 gallon palm and was just able to get it out of my mini van without breaking my back.

• Upvote 1

PalmSavannaThumb.jpg