IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Florida Palm Run

MDPalm

Last year I did something I had always wanted to do, I found some wholesalers in Homestead who would sell to me, I rented a truck and headed south.  I did everything correctly, called the agriculture inspection place ahead of time to make sure I had all the proper paperwork to take them out of state - the last thing I wanted to do was see my palms be confiscated. 

I'd like to do it again this year but it gets expensive renting a truck, gas, hotel, etc.  I had hoped that a new local nursery would allow me to get some stuff for them, and she entertained the idea but ultimately decided to stick with her supplier from last year.  I'd like to find a way to do this and share the costs somehow but this is the only place that I know that has palm tree fanatics. :)

I am wondering if anyone along I-95 would be interested in palms or if there were any ideas of how to share the expense with others.  Last year I sent emails to restaurants and hotels asking but got no takers.  I am not looking to make money, just share the expense.  

I apologize if this is not the correct place to post this question.  

• Upvote 2

Awesome!  I live in Phoenix but I've flown to San Diego for business (3 times!) on a one way ticket and driven back in a rental truck full of palms, cycads and aloes.  Never had a passenger but having another plant fan in the cab would have been great.  Go for it!

:)  I wasn't necessarily looking for a passenger just looking to bring back some palms and maybe meet some people along i95 on the way back.  Sell them for a little over what they cost to help with the travel expense.  Or if anyone north of Maryland wanted to drive down and pick them up.  Those were my thoughts anyway.  

This forum is probably your best bet however, have you considered posting a wanted ad on Kijiji or Craigslist? You may have some hits...

• 2 weeks later...

I put an ad on Craigslist, but nothing so far.  I know there are people out there who want palms, just need to figure out how to find them....

Yea your best bet is to somehow find a person or two in your area to buy some of the palms you can buy here and take back. Not so easy. Can you mention this "trip" to any garden clubs in your area or maybe if your near a botanical garden mention to them that your making a run ad see if their maybe interested in something.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.