IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

all around fertilizer for FL.soils for palms

jedikiter

dont wont to over do it with this stuff not good for lagoon so looking for one that work without leech thanks

jedi

8-2-12 is the recommended formula for Florida soils

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

On 3/22/2017, 5:47:43, jedikiter said:

dont wont to over do it with this stuff not good for lagoon so looking for one that work without leech thanks

I live on a canal on the lagoon and use only slow release granular like Osmocote plus. It is expensive but doesn't gush into the lagoon after the rains. Never use liquid fertilizer near the lagoon. Go granular and slow release for much much less pollution. 

Florikan palm special 8-2-12 with micros has a time release that is osmotically controlled, cant be washed away by rain, 6-7 months delivery.  Yeah its more expensive than your cheaper time release, but it delivers a nice consistent plume of all utrients.  UF gainesvilled compared it to others, with florikan coming out on top.  I fertilize 2x a year and used less than 1/2 of  weight vs the sulfur coated time release.  ANd other timed release ferts used more frequently caused my palms to show postassium deficiency, not florikan.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

Where do you buy Tom?

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Ray, I get it at big earth landscape supply in palmetto on 301 just east of  rt 41..  I think 50 lbs is $67 but the results are worth it.  My copernicia bailey and fallaense love this stuff hardly a hint of K deficiency, fertilized 2x a year..  All my more picky palms love it.  Larry Joliffe(spockyVR6 on this board) gets virtually the same fertilizer down on pine island from a wholesaler.  Mike Evans also on this board buys it periodically in bulk and gets a much better price as well.  And mike has posted here looking for someone to go in to meet the wholesale bulk anount quantity for near 1/2 price.  I spread 3-4 bags a year on 60+ palms.  I also use fish emulsiton fert and humic acid(natureslawn "bioactivate") as well in summer.  

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank