IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Trachycarpus Princeps and Martianus

Jdiaz31089

For the sake of comparison, here are pictures of my two T. princeps (in interior NorCal). One grows under a tree canopy, the other is on a berm and gets hot afternoon sun. Color looks much better to me when this species is grown in at least partial shade. 

Princeps-1.jpg

Princeps-2.jpg

• Upvote 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/27/2017, 10:46:26, Hillizard said:

For the sake of comparison, here are pictures of my two T. princeps (in interior NorCal). One grows under a tree canopy, the other is on a berm and gets hot afternoon sun. Color looks much better to me when this species is grown in at least partial shade. 

Princeps-1.jpg

Princeps-2.jpg

Princeps definitely will burn in our severe conditions.

• Upvote 3

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

On March 24, 2017 11:12:15 AM, JasonD said:

Unfortunately I agree that the plant in your photo is not Trachycarpus princeps. It will be cool to see how it develops, however. Latisectus should be on the list of possibilities, They don't tend to have such deep and irregular divisions between the segments, but it's a youngster.

My two princeps are both in deep shade and they have normal size leaves and are very silver underneath…. however, I do have a few trachycarpus that looks like yours and I have no idea what it is either…. leaves and steams on mine are so long and the trunk is really thin. Mine stands about 7’ tall with only 18” of thin trunk. And the leaves look just like yours, v shape…. wish I knew what it is. The guy I got it from had about 10 species in a flat and none were label so it could be anything… also mine sometimes get a little leaf burn below 20F. 

Edited by Palm crazy

Here a picture of mine unknown trachy palm…. notice how think the palm trunk is and the leaves are very stretch it started out this way as a small seedling looking different than any of the others… I have about 6 of these in that batch.  Total hight is 8’. Also right behind the mystery palm is a normal trachy and you can just barely make it out but the trunk is much thicker. 

DSC00044.JPG

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, Ben in Norcal said:

I'm keeping an eye on the T. princeps I have on my very sunny berm. The latest leaf on that plant seems more sun-acclimated than the older leaves that were produced in shade before it was transplanted. If I could just get my nearby tree canopy to develop faster I think that would help moderate the light intensity for all the palms clustered on the berm! B)

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Hillizard said:

I'm keeping an eye on the T. princeps I have on my very sunny berm. The latest leaf on that plant seems more sun-acclimated than the older leaves that were produced in shade before it was transplanted. If I could just get my nearby tree canopy to develop faster I think that would help moderate the light intensity for all the palms clustered on the berm! B)

I was actually thinking the same thing. If it could tolerate full, inland sun for a few years, i'll have a canopy within the next three years to shade it. 

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Jdiaz31089 said:

I was actually thinking the same thing. If it could tolerate full, inland sun for a few years, i'll have a canopy within the next three years to shade it. 

Yes, I think in this case we both want to "throw shade" on these palms, so to speak! :winkie:

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

The problem with the new palms being Princeps is that they usually have

well divided leaves and not fused segments as seen in the leaves.

Also....I think sometime Martianus and Latisectus get confused at a young

age because some of the claimed Martianus look more like Latisectus to

be wth the thicker fused leaves.

Edited by Jimhardy

On 3/24/2017, 3:19:12, DoomsDave said:

Here's a Trachy martianus.

IMG_2217.thumb.JPG.0282a22fd38e74d24bc32IMG_2218.thumb.JPG.c1cb4718fac7c05829d42IMG_2219.thumb.JPG.8377ebbe12e5e7d9496d6IMG_2220.thumb.JPG.a6b50dc60f299750271b4

Whoa Dave where can i get one of those! Never seen in any collection or nursery! I have Princeps but know i want that one Dave! 

• Upvote 1

On 3/23/2017, 4:26:53, Ben in Norcal said:

No issues here with martianus, and we get pretty damn hot too

What is the soil ph around the martianus?

On 3/22/2017, 9:13:25, Patrick said:

Just a heads up I have never had luck with martianus out here in Oakley- pretty much your clmate. Maybe the Modesto and Manteca guys can chime in. They were miserable in heat and sun so plan accordingly ;)

Maybe it was me? I killed a few though and gave up. I never tried a princeps.

Is native soil and/or irrigation water alkaline? I have quite a problem keeping my potted martianus healthy, although its spot is quite shady. It does show extended chlorosis on leaves, especially when I irrigate it frequently. Situation was improved with the use of chelated iron (not dramatically) and especially manganese sulphate. Not sure if martianus grows in habitat among Rhodondedra. If it does, then we have some verification...

Edited by Phoenikakias

I have a few martianus, my favorite Trachycarpus. The leaves are larger and softer than other Trachys and petioles can be quite long in shadier conditions. That's a large Rhopalostylis baueri next to it for some scale. Picture taken from atop my roof. image.jpeg.360ce27ab0237d9a4d334cc1591c0

• Upvote 4

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

6 hours ago, Phoenikakias said:

What is the soil ph around your martie?

Good question!

Whatever the "normal" unadjusted ph for this 'hood is. Hard to say, actually. On the one hand, I use lots of mulch, and that tends to make the soil more acid. But I also use lots of wood ashes from the Tree-Ma-ToriaTM (aka as the fireplaces), which push ph up a bit. We also have alkaline irrigation water. So I'd say on the alky side, but how far, I don't know. Azeleas and camellias, both of which want acid soil, grow well for me, too, without any adjustments.

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

6 hours ago, Briank said:

Whoa Dave where can i get one of those! Never seen in any collection or nursery! I have Princeps but know i want that one Dave! 

I might still have one in my Container RanchTM. I think Floribunda has them, too, and I know we get them regularly for PSSC auctions. I call them the "Ear Hair Palm."

I'll look at the CR and advise.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

On 6/14/2017, 5:50:35, Ben in Norcal said:

And mine, too here in the Death Camp.TM

Latti and martianus update this morning. The latties are the bigger ones. I actually wish they would slow down for a nicer layering effect.

EE30FCCD-BC88-49E3-B754-34DA05DFFF32.jpeg

8757B0FD-F5D4-4645-9B56-46D4898A87C2.jpeg

• Upvote 3

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

2 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

Good question!

Whatever the "normal" unadjusted ph for this 'hood is. Hard to say, actually. On the one hand, I use lots of mulch, and that tends to make the soil more acid. But I also use lots of wood ashes from the Tree-Ma-ToriaTM (aka as the fireplaces), which push ph up a bit. We also have alkaline irrigation water. So I'd say on the alky side, but how far, I don't know. Azeleas and camellias, both of which want acid soil, grow well for me, too, without any adjustments.

The last sentence of your reply is quite instructive.

3 minutes ago, Phoenikakias said:

The last sentence of your reply is quite instructive.

I guess, though I don't think they're quite as adamant about acid as the tales tell.

On the other hand, I use a lot of organics. All the time.

49 minutes ago, Ben in Norcal said:

Latti and martianus update this morning. The latties are the bigger ones. I actually wish they would slow down for a nicer layering effect.

EE30FCCD-BC88-49E3-B754-34DA05DFFF32.jpeg

8757B0FD-F5D4-4645-9B56-46D4898A87C2.jpeg

They look awesome! 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Cikas said:

They look awesome! 

Agree, I don't usually care for tachy's but that's a fine looking palm right there. Don't think I could swing it in my zone. Unless its the obscure "Napal" form that's like finding a needle in a hay stack. 

• Upvote 1

On 11/1/2018, 6:38:23, DoomsDave said:

I might still have one in my Container RanchTM. I think Floribunda has them, too, and I know we get them regularly for PSSC auctions. I call them the "Ear Hair Palm."

I'll look at the CR and advise.

Let me know Dave.  I’m gonna try to come to mtg.    Keep an eye out for one and I’ll look too.   

8 hours ago, Briank said:

Let me know Dave.  I’m gonna try to come to mtg.    Keep an eye out for one and I’ll look too.   

See my PM

On 11/9/2018, 5:11:59, DoomsDave said:

See my PM

Thanks Dave.  Got it.  I’ll give you ring this week and I’m gonna try to make the mtg.  

• Upvote 1