IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Trachycarpus Princeps and Martianus

Jdiaz31089

I scored some really nice and really cheap Trachycarpus yesterday. This is one genus I've stayed away from because I am familiar with T. fortunei and I just don't find that palm attractive in the least bit. A friend of mine had several princeps and martianus growing in his greenhouse which he needed to clean out, and after seeing these in person I thought I could give them a shot. I know these were hot about ten years ago when they first started appearing in cultivation. Does anyone have pictures of maturing T. princeps or T. martianus they'd like to share? 

I'll post pictures on the T. martianus a bit later, but in the meantime, here are the T. princeps. Aren't they really cool?! If only the petioles stay that long as they mature! I don't see much blue/silver on the underside of the leaves, but perhaps this trait will come in as the palms get more sun? (these were shade grown). 

20170322_072037.thumb.jpg.1ba28dbac21e7d

There's a bit of tomentum on the leaves here. 

20170322_072106.thumb.jpg.0f91aa2dd508f5

And the leaves are nearly circular, and deeply divided. Droopy also! Move aside licuala! B)

58d28ed37ba1e_20170322_072136(1).thumb.j

Edited by Jdiaz31089
  • Upvote 1

Whoa!

That's a bit of a S  T  R  E  T  C  H  ! 

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

7 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

Whoa!

That's a bit of a S  T  R  E  T  C  H  ! 

Yeah right?! I kind of like them this way. 

Yeah, it's hard to even recognize those as princeps.  They will look VERY different in sun.

• Upvote 1

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

5 minutes ago, Ben in Norcal said:

Yeah, it's hard to even recognize those as princeps.  They will look VERY different in sun.

Howso exactly? I'm expecting shorter petioles, perhaps a bit more coloring on the leaves also...

When I read this topic I just had to run into my garden and check how my 2 young princepses came through winter. I had totally forgotten about them. Unprotected in their first winter they appear alright, no spearpull whatsoever. But looking very different from yours. It looks like a greenhouse grown Trachy. Make sure you gradually let it get used to full sun conditions.

tmp_24018-20170322_175118-1043709171.thu

tmp_24018-20170322_175139861469763.thumb

tmp_24018-20170322_1752101538544563.thum

• Upvote 1

www.facebook.com/#!/Totallycoconuts

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

2 hours ago, Jdiaz31089 said:

I scored some really nice and really cheap Trachycarpus yesterday. This is one genus I've stayed away from because I am familiar with T. fortunei and I just don't find that palm attractive in the least bit. A friend of mine had several princeps and martianus growing in his greenhouse which he needed to clean out, and after seeing these in person I thought I could give them a shot. I know these were hot about ten years ago when they first started appearing in cultivation. Does anyone have pictures of maturing T. princeps or T. martianus they'd like to share? 

I'll post pictures on the T. martianus a bit later, but in the meantime, here are the T. princeps. Aren't they really cool?! If only the petioles stay that long as they mature! I don't see much blue/silver on the underside of the leaves, but perhaps this trait will come in as the palms get more sun? (these were shade grown). 

Looking like this a bit stretched greenhouse grown Chamaerops: :D

58d2b0652f643_Chamaerops73N05-0201.thumb

• Upvote 2

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

47 minutes ago, Ben in Norcal said:

Pretty much right.

IMG_2124.JPG

WOW that is some amazing color on the leaves! 

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Kai said:

When I read this topic I just had to run into my garden and check how my 2 young princepses came through winter. I had totally forgotten about them. Unprotected in their first winter they appear alright, no spearpull whatsoever. But looking very different from yours. It looks like a greenhouse grown Trachy. Make sure you gradually let it get used to full sun conditions.

Looks great! And yep, I will let them acclimate in this spot which gets shaded by the large P. canariensis in the first picture. 

31 minutes ago, Pal Meir said:

Looking like this a bit stretched greenhouse grown Chamaerops: :D

It kind of does doesn't it!

Josue:

Whatever your palm is, it isn't a princeps. It's very cool looking though.

Be aware that once it's out of the greenhouse for a while, it will grow out of that stretched habit and get shorter leaves and petioles.

• Upvote 2

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

4 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

Josue:

Whatever your palm is, it isn't a princeps. It's very cool looking though.

Be aware that once it's out of the greenhouse for a while, it will grow out of that stretched habit and get shorter leaves and petioles.

Don't tell me that Dave lol What do you suppose it is? 

44 minutes ago, Jdiaz31089 said:

Don't tell me that Dave lol What do you suppose it is? 

Good question 

Just a heads up I have never had luck with martianus out here in Oakley- pretty much your clmate. Maybe the Modesto and Manteca guys can chime in. They were miserable in heat and sun so plan accordingly ;)

Maybe it was me? I killed a few though and gave up. I never tried a princeps.

Oakley, California

55 Miles E-NE of San Francisco, CA

Solid zone 9, I can expect at least one night in the mid to low twenties every year.

Hot, dry summers. Cold, wet winters.

27 minutes ago, Patrick said:

Just a heads up I have never had luck with martianus out here in Oakley- pretty much your clmate. Maybe the Modesto and Manteca guys can chime in. They were miserable in heat and sun so plan accordingly ;)

Good to know! I'll give it shade. 

23 minutes ago, Phoenikakias said:

Perhaps latisectus or geminisectus...

well, i guess we'll see what it grown into.  

in any case, heretc is martianus 

1490211737973602821334.thumb.jpg.875edc1

I think Josue's Palm might be a T latisectus going by the uneven "cutting" of the leaflets.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Patrick said:

No issues here with martianus, and we get pretty damn hot too

• Upvote 2

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

So you're tellin me when my palm said, "It's not you, it's me" It was LYING!!??

• Upvote 1

Oakley, California

55 Miles E-NE of San Francisco, CA

Solid zone 9, I can expect at least one night in the mid to low twenties every year.

Hot, dry summers. Cold, wet winters.

20 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

I think Josue's Palm might be a T latisectus going by the uneven "cutting" of the leaflets.

Mr DD are leaflets the correct terminus or rather segments?

1 hour ago, Phoenikakias said:

Mr DD are leaflets the correct terminus or rather segments?

I think either is correct, though segments seems, somehow, a bit palmier . . . :)

2 hours ago, Patrick said:

So you're tellin me when my palm said, "It's not you, it's me" It was LYING!!??

Sorry!  I do think they benefit from a bit of shade though; they all do, princeps, fortunei, etc. too.  Maybe latisectus is the one that seems quite happy to bake.

• Upvote 1

Ben Rogers

I haven't found Trachies to be happy to bake, just willing to suffer it. They're not Rhopies, thank heaven. But they're not Braheas, either.

2 hours ago, Ben in Norcal said:

Sorry!  I do think they benefit from a bit of shade though; they all do, princeps, fortunei, etc. too.  Maybe latisectus is the one that seems quite happy to bake.

I planted them where they'll have morning sun, and they'll have more shade as trees around them mature.

2 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

I haven't found Trachies to be happy to bake, just willing to suffer it. They're not Rhopies, thank heaven. But they're not Braheas, either.

Dave, I'm really bummed there's a doubt about them being princeps! I did find an original, hand-written tag in the soil that said T. princeps - I'm crossing my fingers you're wrong on this one Dave (don't take it personally) :P

20170323_125113.thumb.jpg.4758fa091aa987

20170323_125131.thumb.jpg.efbda3107addbf

20170323_125121.thumb.jpg.c3cca37ad9bb88

20170323_144426.thumb.jpg.c62c32e87c3802

Edited by Jdiaz31089
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Jdiaz31089 said:

I planted them where they'll have morning sun, and they'll have more shade as trees around them mature.

Dave, I'm really bummed there's a doubt about them being princeps! I did find an original, hand-written tag in the soil that said T. princeps - I'm crossing my fingers you're wrong on this one Dave (don't take it personally) :P

20170323_125113.thumb.jpg.4758fa091aa987

20170323_125131.thumb.jpg.efbda3107addbf

20170323_125121.thumb.jpg.c3cca37ad9bb88

20170323_144426.thumb.jpg.c62c32e87c3802

Gorgeous palms!

Not much of a Palm connoisseur, but by comparing the palmpedia pics of the T. Princeps and the ones you posted, there is differences between them.

Might be a hybrid?  Who knows. 

• Upvote 2

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

I have martianus in full shade and it's doing great no damage at 25 degrees and green leaves all summer

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

Honestly, I see no noticeable difference in willingness to bake between a T. latisectus and a B. armata.  Full sun, days on end of 100+, no worries.  Others (e.g. princeps) will show burn but my latties will endure down the block from the surface of the sun.

• Upvote 2

Ben Rogers

On 3/22/2017, 8:01:29, Jdiaz31089 said:

There's a bit of tomentum on the leaves here. 

20170322_072106.thumb.jpg.0f91aa2dd508f5

And the leaves are nearly circular, and deeply divided. Droopy also! Move aside licuala! B)

58d28ed37ba1e_20170322_072136(1).thumb.j

Unfortunately I agree that the plant in your photo is not Trachycarpus princeps. It will be cool to see how it develops, however. Latisectus should be on the list of possibilities, They don't tend to have such deep and irregular divisions between the segments, but it's a youngster.

Jason Dewees

Inner Sunset District

San Francisco, California

Sunset zone 17

USDA zone 10a

21 inches / 530mm annual rainfall, mostly October to April

Humidity averages 60 to 85 percent year-round.

Summer: 67F/55F | 19C/12C

Winter: 56F/44F | 13C/6C

40-year extremes: 96F/26F | 35.5C/-3.8C

Here's a Trachy martianus.

IMG_2217.thumb.JPG.0282a22fd38e74d24bc32IMG_2218.thumb.JPG.c1cb4718fac7c05829d42IMG_2219.thumb.JPG.8377ebbe12e5e7d9496d6IMG_2220.thumb.JPG.a6b50dc60f299750271b4

• Upvote 2

I call it the Ear Hair PalmTM. Guys of a certain age will know why.

IMG_2221.thumb.JPG.db870a6dcace3ff474558

• Upvote 3

22 hours ago, Ben in Norcal said:

Honestly, I see no noticeable difference in willingness to bake between a T. latisectus and a B. armata.  Full sun, days on end of 100+, no worries.  Others (e.g. princeps) will show burn but my latties will endure down the block from the surface of the sun.

You're a worse torturer than me!

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

Here's a Trachy martianus.

Dave, I can't say that I've ever paid much attention to this species at all. This palm is beautiful! At $15, I might go get a few more!

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Jdiaz31089 said:

Dave, I can't say that I've ever paid much attention to this species at all. This palm is beautiful! At $15, I might go get a few more!

Honestly I didn't either till I stuck this one in the ground and turned around seven times . . .

Who wouldn't want one of these guys? 3 years in ground from a small 5g. As fast as a king palm in my climate.

IMG_2128.JPG

• Upvote 6

Ben Rogers

16 minutes ago, Ben in Norcal said:

Who wouldn't want one of these guys? 3 years in ground from a small 5g. As fast as a king palm in my climate.

IMG_2128.JPG

That's it! I'm going tomorrow for more! lol

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, Jdiaz31089 said:

That's it! I'm going tomorrow for more! lol

Give a good scream for all of us!

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

I went back to that nursery today and spoke to the owner. It turns out they had mislabeled an entire batch of their trachycarpus, and so what I did buy initially was T. latisectus. 

I did find the actual princeps they had though, and brought a couple of THOSE home with me.  Aren't they pretty cool?!

20170526_192410.thumb.jpg.8635b788557034

Look at the color in these! They were shade grown so I imagine the color will intensify with sun exposure. 

20170526_192442.thumb.jpg.ac5d7617a3952e

• Upvote 2