IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Ponapea as a Genus?

TikiRick

I have what I thought was a Ptychosperma ledermanniana. I went to bed last night and woke up to Ponapea ledermanniana. When did this happen?

Is anyone else growing this palm? Any luck? Appears difficult to grow from my perspective...certainly not as easy as the more common Ptychosperma species.

Rick Leitner

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

26.07N/80.15W

Zone 10B

Average Annual Low 67 F

Average Annual High 84 F

Average Annual Rainfall 62"

Riverfront exposure, 1 mile from Atlantic Ocean

Part time in the western mountains of North Carolina

Gratefully, the best of both worlds!

It was actually changed back to Ponapea ledermanniana a short while ago, in an article of the Linnean Society journal. The species was lumped in with Ptychosperma years ago, after it was named as Ponapea back in 1924. It is back where many feel it belongs. There are plants of P. ledermanniana around, and from what I have seen they grow quite simular to Ptychosperma species. They might enjoy a bit more shade for a while longer though, and need regulated moisture. I can not see them enjoying a drought much.

2006-08-01_11-39-24.jpg

2006-08-01_11-39-40.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

nice pix,ryan.

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Nice palm, and a perfectly lighted photo as well.

When I first saw the topic I thought it read:

"Pohonkelapa is a genius?, Where have I been???"

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

I assume more shade as a juvenile...then more sun as an adult??

Rick Leitner

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

26.07N/80.15W

Zone 10B

Average Annual Low 67 F

Average Annual High 84 F

Average Annual Rainfall 62"

Riverfront exposure, 1 mile from Atlantic Ocean

Part time in the western mountains of North Carolina

Gratefully, the best of both worlds!

Rick,

I would think that if you can grow Ptychospermas, then you can grow Ponapea. Likes partial shade (but I have a few that are very exposed) and humidity. Here's a group of 3 in a shaded location.

Bo-Göran

post-22-1178656022_thumb.jpg

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

TikiRick · Posted on May 08 2007,16:25

I assume more shade as a juvenile...then more sun as an adult??

Rick,

Bo-Göran is correct, they are so simular they were in the same genus for 70 some years. So growing conditions should be kept the same. Most if not all Ponapea / Ptychosperma species in S. Florida should be in some form of shade when young, lessening as the plant grows larger. They might not die in full sun, but will not look as good.

Ryan

South Florida

Ponapea hosinoi looks fine at the Palmetum in Tenerife. In the past years it survived weeks of drought shaded just by a 5 m tall Schefflera actinophylla with no mulching. Survived various attacks of whiteflies.

Carlo

I should have mentioned that the 3 in my photo above are P. ledermanniana.

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

And here's an up-to-date photo, taken minutes ago. (The one above was taken in Aug 2006).

post-22-1178664024_thumb.jpg

Like Hemithrinax, Ponapea was at one time a recognized genus.  Both names have since been resuscitated.  It seems we are reverting back to old times.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B