IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

When do Coconuts stop fruiting?

Mr.SamuraiSword

When I was in Florida, most fruiting coconuts I saw were in the southern part.  I did see one noticeable one however in englewood with a LOT of coconuts on it.  in what area do coconuts stop fruiting in florida?

There's no place where they just stop fruiting because it depends on how warm or cold winter is. I've sprouted coconuts collected in St. Pete, which is towards the northern limit of their range.

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

1 hour ago, Zeeth said:

There's no place where they just stop fruiting because it depends on how warm or cold winter is. I've sprouted coconuts collected in St. Pete, which is towards the northern limit of their range.

LMAO at the first response.     

As to the question, Im not aware that they just stop producing fruit at any given area.  Perhaps the question should more be like when do they stop being able to produce mature viable fruit, and I think there are just too many variables to give a clear answer for that. 

Sorry to Hijack your thread, Keith, since you live down there, do you know what happened to all of the Coconut palms at Caddy's on the beach?  Do you know that place?   I was there this past Octorber and they were all gone! They were replaced with Sabal Palmetto.   When I was there before on 9/19/09 they looked fantastic.  You can see there was no fruit on them but they were flowering.   Was it 2010 that did them in?     Here are some photos of them in 09.   BTW it looks like I will likely be moving to St. Pete this summer.  Its going to either be there or Fort Lauderdale.  YAY!  finally.  So there is a good chance I will be your somewhat neighbor!   lol 

caddyscocos1.jpg

caddyscocos2.jpg

caddyscocos5.jpg

caddyscocos6.jpg

caddyscocos3.jpg

caddyscocos4.jpg

*hat tip to Gonzer* 

My understanding is that they will continue to fruit through their entire lives if they are able.  A specimen that cannot reproduce is of no use to the species and would rob resources from younger plants that were still popping an inflorescence.  As such, in most plants a sterile plant is on the edge of death, because a long fruitless life would not be an evolutionary advantage.

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."

"in most plants a sterile plant is on the edge of death, because a long fruitless life would not be an evolutionary advantage."

Crikey, I'm glad that does not apply to people. 

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

10 hours ago, Gonzer said:

Usually when their nuts get old and shriveled.

:greenthumb::D

Rio_Grande.gif

17 hours ago, gtsteve said:

"in most plants a sterile plant is on the edge of death, because a long fruitless life would not be an evolutionary advantage."

Crikey, I'm glad that does not apply to people. 

It is an evolutionary advantage to have women go through menopause so they wouldn't compete with their own daughters, while simultaneously being able to care for the children so the adults in their prime go out to hunt and gather.  Men never evolved to shut off because they'd usually get eaten by a bear or something long before it was an issue...

Back to palms!

• Upvote 1

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."