IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Licuala grandis

The Palm Nut

A palm that is sometimes called Vanuatu Fan Palm. I have been fortunately able to grow one for well over 20 years from a small seedling. Not an easy task for the first 10 years or so. I used to cover it using a small hothouse cage and putting in a 60 watt light bulb during winter months, something that a lot of people do now to grow plants that would otherwise not last there first winter. I guess the difference is this palm is doing really well having survived flooding during the winter months when the river is cold and outside temps that are in the single digits during the nights, in some cases over several nights. It has suffered over the years but has gotten over it. These palms are slow growing even in the tropic,s, at my place it’s glacially slow. I have always looked forward to each summer to see new leaf growth and this summer it hasn’t disappointed me. It has never produced an inflorescence and I wouldn’t be surprised that I may well get one in the next couple of years.

This is the earliest picture that I could find. Its behind the Betel Nut. The hothouse is in the background.

Cheers

Mike  

AA_0_012A.JPG

Port Macquarie NSW Australia

Warm temperate to subtropical

Record low of -2C at airport 2006

Pushing the limit of palm survivabilities

This picture of it was taken a few days ago. The Betel Nut is the trunk to the left.

IMAG1277.jpg

• Upvote 2

Is there anyone out there that has been growing one of these in ground for more than 20 years in much the same climate that I have, even 5 or 10 years? Maybe people in NSW or southern Qld? I have seen them on occasion selling in Bunnings in Port Macquarie in the last 5 years, don't know if any have survived. They were small in 10 or 12 inch pots for just under 100 dollars if I remember right.

Cheers

Yes they are very slow growing but worth the effort. This one is about 25 years old and I ( foolishly ) planted under my back stairs never thinkilg it would outgrow this spot. Its in poor soil and probably doesnt get as much water as it would like and is in full shade. No sunlight whatsoever.  Thrives  on neglect actually.....

FB_IMG_1489961610155.jpg

• Upvote 2

That is a nice one, you are lucky to have such a great palm growing climate. Its looks like you may have had some seeds at some stage recently?

No this one has never seeded but the one pictured here is flowering and will set viable seed I reckon

17361740_1636295583053871_8043296416720263017_n.jpg

• Upvote 1

On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2017‎ ‎3‎:‎34‎:‎20‎, The Palm Nut said:

Is there anyone out there that has been growing one of these in ground for more than 20 years in much the same climate that I have, even 5 or 10 years? Maybe people in NSW or southern Qld? I have seen them on occasion selling in Bunnings in Port Macquarie in the last 5 years, don't know if any have survived. They were small in 10 or 12 inch pots for just under 100 dollars if I remember right.

Cheers

There are a few down around SEQ in protected positions........ I grew them in Bundaberg without any problems but they were slow. I remember the old 'Hawkins Nursery' at Chandler in Brisbane had a nice one but in later years it was neglected and didn't receive much care and as a result was looking pretty shabby from the lack of water.

Andrew,
Airlie Beach, Whitsundays

Tropical Queensland

I can grow them here without any problems, even when we had a minus 4 frost, they weren't touched (but in a sheltered spot) Bunnings sometimes have them for $21, about 50cms tall. L elegans is supposed to be the cold hardy species but they never do as well for me.

• Upvote 1

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.