IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The Garden of Ralph Velez - Image Gallery (March 18, 2017)

Pando

Fabulous, Pando. How do you do it? What's your gear and what settings do you use to get things so balanced?

• Upvote 1

WOW,

I am sure someone not knowing about palms watching your pictures becomes crazy and join us on Palmtalk or IPS. 

Thanks for showing us such an outstanding garden.
I am always impressed by both the beauty of the plants and the garden and the quality of the photographs.
You really should make books about palms and gardens.

• Upvote 1

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

Magnificent garden!!

• Upvote 1

Port Macquarie NSW Australia

Warm temperate to subtropical

Record low of -2C at airport 2006

Pushing the limit of palm survivabilities

Thanks for taking the time to document and upload, Pando!  The effort is really appreciated by those of us that can't be there.

• Upvote 1

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Excellent capture of the rapture of Ralph Velez' unique and affecting garden.  In his kind and quiet way, Ralph Velez has influenced up-and-coming palm gardeners beyond number in Southern California. He has also influenced public spaces in the counties around him, always giving, giving, giving. He is sort of a patron saint of palm growers in Southern California, resulting in new verbs and adjectives to the English language. Examples, "I'm going to totally Velez my garden." "The idea is to plant at maximum Velezity." "Oh, your garden is so Velezed!" I'm sure others can provide more examples.

Congratulations and thanks to you again, Pando, for your thorough and detailed view of the jungle from every angle. You really got inside the garden to capture the true feeling. I especially enjoyed the Kerriodoxa pics and the featuring of textured and fibrous palm trunks.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Ok, ok I know I can fit just one more in....somewhere

Stunning garden. Thank you for sharing 

• Upvote 1

Wow

I was there and still wow

Thanks for coming, Pando, Hammer, PalmTreeJim and all the rest!

It was a great day, indeed.

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Thanks everyone! Ralph's place is legendary. The garden basically envelopes a public sidewalk, so if you're in the area, walk down the street any time to get "Velezed".

20 hours ago, Matt in OC said:

Fabulous, Pando. How do you do it? What's your gear and what settings do you use to get things so balanced?

Thanks Matt. I use an old Sony pocket zoom point-and-shooter with all settings set to "Auto"

• Upvote 1

as always Ando,  great pictures!!!

• Upvote 1

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Sorry I missed this tour!  As always Pando many thanks for the photo documentary.  Definitely the next best thing to actually being there!

• Upvote 1

On 3/19/2017, 6:57:30, Pando said:

Thanks everyone! Ralph's place is legendary. The garden basically envelopes a public sidewalk, so if you're in the area, walk down the street any time to get "Velezed".

Unfortunately I couldn't make it up, but like others appreciate your effort to take and upload all these photos Ando.  Great work!  While the verbs and nouns generated by this garden and its owner are familiar to me, I had not really grasped the density of planting until I reviewed this gallery.  Thanks for sharing the experience in photos and documenting the garden at this moment in time!

• Upvote 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Great pictures and awesome palms! I missed this one but I have been there many times.

• Upvote 1

MM

I think Kim summed it up nicely Ralph is a great guy and his Garden is Legendary . I have visited it twice and can never get enough'.I have allways been meaning to ask Ralph how he fertilizes such a dense area and how he waters it all maybe he is over a water source ? Either way he has a jungle to himself in the middle of a neighborhood and that's cool by me THANKS Pando

• Upvote 2