IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

PalmTreeDude

Is anyone in a desert region growing coconuts? If so how well do they do and do you have any pictures?

Edited by PalmTreeDude

PalmTreeDude

There are coconuts on the Arabian peninsula, don't get much more desert than that, as long as they have water and temps don't get too cold, coconuts are fine in the desert. 

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

Well, if you class the Western Australian Pilbara coast as desert, indeed the humble coconut does quite well in places like Karratha and Port Hedland. Need to irrigate them of course as the average rainfall is only between 10 and 15 inches per annum. Extreme summer max temps of up to 48c ( 120f ). These coastal locations frost is unknown, coldest winter nights about 8 to 10 Celsius but not for long or often. Cold is not the coconuts friend.

• Upvote 1

Cocos grow great in Sonora Mexico, very little rain, very humid coastal desert. Seen some with no irrigation. 

4 minutes ago, tacobender said:

Cocos grow great in Sonora Mexico, very little rain, very humid coastal desert. Seen some with no irrigation. 

Aside from the one in Rocky Point, where in Sonora can one find Coco palms?

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

They grow in Palm Desert, too.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

• 2 months later...

Tacobender, are you referring to Guaymas-San Carlos, the conjoined Beach towns south of Hermosillo (...and Tucson, Arizona).  If so, aren't those beach towns the northern extremity of a tropical climate, even though they have a desert backdrop?

They'll thrive in Saudi Arabia, on the coast away from Mecca. They'll do well on the Horn of Africa, and in Israel down by the Dead Sea.

HEAT is what they want.

• Upvote 1

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

On 5/27/2017, 8:17:09, Sandy Loam said:

Tacobender, are you referring to Guaymas-San Carlos, the conjoined Beach towns south of Hermosillo (...and Tucson, Arizona).  If so, aren't those beach towns the northern extremity of a tropical climate, even though they have a desert backdrop?

Yes, very hot and humid summers. Ocean is well over 93° in summer, nights are 90°, days are 100°. Rain in summer can be intense and damaging. Winters are mild, nice, not much rain, not really cold. Never seen frost here. Read somewhere it is called tropical thornbrush. 

Great place to live. 

4 hours ago, tacobender said:

Yes, very hot and humid summers. Ocean is well over 93° in summer, nights are 90°, days are 100°. Rain in summer can be intense and damaging. Winters are mild, nice, not much rain, not really cold. Never seen frost here. Read somewhere it is called tropical thornbrush. 

Great place to live. 

What's the nearest town?

Mexicans are the best cooks in the world, along with the Chinese, and Thais. Bet the food's great.

Getting hungry as I type this. Salivating. All over my Magic Keyboard.

Hi Doomsdave. I should probably let Tacobender give a more elaborate answer to your question, but my understanding is that the resort town is San Carlos (more beachy) and the more historic and bigger (though less appealing) town is Guaymas next door. They are basically conjoined towns on the Sea of Cortez surrounded by desert mountains and beautiful rock formations jutting out of the sea (think San Luis Ibisbo), but far enough south (and coastal) that they never get cold.  There is supposed to be a major highway from Tucson, Arizona straight south to Guaymas-San Carlos and I believe a fast driver can do the trip in about four hours, whereas a slow driver might do it in six hours from Tucson - - - - -  just in case you were planning to drive! 

Am I way off base, Tacobender?

BTW, the only reason I know about Guaymas-San Carlos is because I was researching beachfront housing prices a few years back and couldn't help but notice that it was quite affordable in San Carlos, by American standards --- although that may no longer be the case today.

On 5/28/2017, 7:27:43, Sandy Loam said:

Hi Doomsdave. I should probably let Tacobender give a more elaborate answer to your question, but my understanding is that the resort town is San Carlos (more beachy) and the more historic and bigger (though less appealing) town is Guaymas next door. They are basically conjoined towns on the Sea of Cortez surrounded by desert mountains and beautiful rock formations jutting out of the sea (think San Luis Ibisbo), but far enough south (and coastal) that they never get cold.  There is supposed to be a major highway from Tucson, Arizona straight south to Guaymas-San Carlos and I believe a fast driver can do the trip in about four hours, whereas a slow driver might do it in six hours from Tucson - - - - -  just in case you were planning to drive! 

Am I way off base, Tacobender?

BTW, the only reason I know about Guaymas-San Carlos is because I was researching beachfront housing prices a few years back and couldn't help but notice that it was quite affordable in San Carlos, by American standards --- although that may no longer be the case today.

You are on the money about this area. The beauty,  weather, food and people brought us here. Town is full of people that came for a week or weekend and never left.