IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Rare Encephalartos and cost

bk10

Hi,

I have a general question regarding cost and rarity of certain Encephalartos. Why are ones such as E. inopinus and heeanii still rare and expensive? Is it simply supply and demand or are other factors at play such as difficulty or slow growing? Seed hard to produce? I guess what I'm wondering is with plants in cultivation shouldn't prices come down as ex situ production occurs? I'm really just curious rather than trying to insinuate that the plants are overpriced.

thanks!

They are slow growing, rarely cone, and when they do there is usually isnt pollen available. And even if/when there is pollen there is zero gurantee that viable seed will be produced. 

Simple supply and demand.

• Upvote 3

Except for a recent pollination at Lotusland, have you heard of anyone who has produced heenanii seeds in the US? Both are slow. I've only heard of one commercial inopinus seed production in the US. People don't make seeds available so until there are 100s on the open market, and people still find them desirable, the prices will still be high. Nubis have gone down to 1\4 of the price for seedlings over the last 3 years with 3-4 batches of seeds being grown out.

• Upvote 2

Thanks for the replies. I guess I knew the answer but was wondering if there were other reasons. I don't know about pairings in the U.S. I was trying to pick examples of smaller species that are desirable and which seem to still command a high price even as 1-leaf seedlings.