IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The 19th Spring 'Ganza - Palms & Tropical Plants Shine in S. Florida

Palmarum

Searle Brothers Nursery, Inc. &

The Rainforest Collection®

presented...

The 19th Annual Spring Plant Extravaganza!

March 3rd, 4th, 5th & 10th, 11th, 12th - 2017

SW. Ranches, South Florida

----

The Spring plant sale season in S. Florida is always a great time for plant nuts and diehard palm fanatics. The 'Ganza has become the embodiment of what we strive for in a palm & plant sale; not just for the seasoned collector but for the newly initiated enthusiast as well. The weeks-long setup and operating mechanics of the event have been finely tuned over the years, but we are always looking for ways to improve. Some ideas come gradually, some leap up and bite us when we least expect them. We have had ideas come from plant event veterans and others from first-time attendees on their first stroll through the sales area.

Although the plant selection for the Spring 'Ganza is often less than the Fall event, the turnout seems to be more impressive. Must be the planting fever. Certain plant families and groups are difficult to propagate and grow through the winter, leading to fewer plants for the Spring 'Ganza. As many in Florida may know, this past winter was very mild. It may very well be one of, or thee warmest winters on record. This unexpected but welcome warmth has lead to many plants growing with sheer abandonment. Some who typically arrive in spring with damaged leaves, sparse crown, brown edges, or even being defoliated were growing as if winter never happened. I have summer orchids blooming now, confused flowering trees and fruit trees with no idea as to what to do. Deciduous nature? Let's skip it this season. All in all, we had a great selection of plants for this spring and it showed.

There was a definite uptick in attendance throughout all six days. Certain daily periods that are usually sparse saw new life. The second Friday, which is usually very thin on attendance, was actually busy for once. That is the day we usually strive to have at least one customer at a time, well that game never took place. It was a welcome surprise. The weather more or less cooperated throughout the ten-day period. We did not get a drop of rain until 3:30 in the afternoon on the second Sunday, a half hour before closing. The first weekend saw its fair share of wind. We had a strong front move through and with it some serious wind. It brought the temperature down to ideal levels, but we had 20 to 30 mph (32-48km) gusts that tried to wreak havoc with the plants, most notably the taller palms in pots. We managed as always and it seemed to make the customers more comfortable. We had issues with rampaging butterflies and a wayward bull, but I will explain them later with photos...

Friday, March 3rd...

- 7:10AM - Early morning. Pockets of brisk, cool air linger throughout the nursery as we run around getting everything ready. Tractors and golf carts deliver both plants and personnel to different sections of the sales area. We have about an hour to get ready so I head to the shadehouse to set up last minute signs, put out booklets, squash any last minute details, etc. I brought my camera to bear on the selection, starting with the grouping of Red Sealing Wax Palms, Cyrtostachys renda, that anchor one corner of the sidewalk intersection.

DSC_0543.jpg

- The deluxe 25 gallon specimen had an interesting side story behind it, plus the bright red crownshafts, petioles and rachises had a duty to showcase the species to customers.

DSC_0546.jpg

- 7:12AM - The first table. The first table in the row has the distinction of showcasing the rarest of the rare, or at least the rarer palms that can fit on a table.

DSC_0548.jpg

- We had a return of a few, seldom seen species. For one reason or another, certain species may vanish from cultivation for an extended period of time. With almost a table to himself, a 3 gal. Licuala cordata stands out from the crowd.

DSC_0549.jpg

Ryan

• Upvote 7

South Florida

- 7:13AM - The venerable Licuala cordata, source of passion and outright palm fanaticism. He had a pair of 1 gallon plants to keep him company on the table, for the time they were there. I had to freehand the camera over the crown trying to get an above shot, but we will see more of him later.

DSC_0550.jpg

- A longer shot of the first three tables, all primed and ready to go...

DSC_0551.jpg

- The tables were packed. There were a few replacements available for certain species, but not many.

DSC_0552.jpg

- Cycads were represented but were not secluded to a particular section. They were at one point, but have since been incorporated with the palms, usually intermingled along the shadehouse sidewalk or placed outside in the full sun section. A 3 gal. Microcycas calocoma waits to get fawned over.

DSC_0553.jpg

Ryan

• Upvote 3

South Florida

- 7:14AM - A scale photo of the caudex. This species is fairly easy to grow apparently, just ultra-rare to obtain. It is growing, after all, not far from its native habitat.

DSC_0554.jpg

- The companion to the Red Sealing Wax Palms, is none other than the group of Licuala peltata var. sumawongii, who accommodate the opposite corner. 

DSC_0555.jpg

- We had the species in five sizes, but the 25 gallon specimen always seems to please the most.

DSC_0556.jpg

- A regular, old-fashion Pacific Fan Palm, Pritchardia pacifica. When grown in a large pot and when it features those large paddles, it always stands out.

DSC_0557.jpg

Ryan

• Upvote 6

South Florida

- 7:19AM - I began to make my way to the front area, to see the prep underway and to wait for the opening. A branching specimen of Dypsis crinita was featuring several, newly emerging leaves at once.

DSC_0560.jpg

- The color is a rosey-pink and showy when seen in bulk.

DSC_0559.jpg

- 7:20AM - Gypsy dog. Gypsy was abandoned at the nursery gate when she was a puppy, rescued by Larry, who had to untangle her from the chain link fence. You may remember photos of her from older 'Ganza topics. She had spots, was probably dirty, and a lot smaller.

DSC_0561.jpg

- We are still figuring out 'what' she is. She is so tall, long and thin, and with that coat and color, it is a mystery. We were thinking greyhound mixed with bloodhound.

DSC_0562.jpg

Ryan

• Upvote 2

South Florida

- 7:20AM - We brought out more decorations and details than usual, a reminder of the plant sales of the past. This signpost was a remake of one Jeff had made a long time ago.

DSC_0563.jpg

- The shaded alcove at the shadehouse entrance is divided into two sections, this one on the right typically showcases the Aroids, various tropical ornamentals and foliage plants.

DSC_0564.jpg

- We ran out of tables fast as there was a large spread of material. This section is always packed full.

DSC_0565.jpg

- The Crotons. The selection of Croton cultivars is always less than it is in the fall, but it was still packed in there good and the collectors went through with little discrimination.

DSC_0566.jpg

Ryan

• Upvote 4

South Florida

- 7:21AM - The smaller Aroids and similar plants were arranged on the tables in a mixed fashion. There were plenty of most varieties and only a few of certain ones.

DSC_0567.jpg

- Mixing them together creates a rain forest feel and allows customers to hunt through looking for the more unusual varieties.

DSC_0569.jpg

- 7:22AM - A few cut Heliconia flowers for those who might want them.

DSC_0571.jpg

- 7:55AM - Time to head to the gate. With everything set in the sales area, Jeff, Andrea and I drive out to open the sale. Those not waiting at the gate, saw us approach and begin exiting their vehicles. The dark, distant clouds gave us a little doubt, so we might have opened a little early, but to no avail as it didn't rain.

DSC_0572.jpg

Ryan

• Upvote 3

South Florida

- 7:55AM - As soon as we reached the gate, it was flung open by Andrea Searle, while Jeff Searle welcomed everyone to the nursery and to the Extravaganza.

DSC_0573.jpg

- 7:56AM - Jeff and I barely got back to the golf cart in time to pick up a passenger, then we took off back to the sales area. We were pulling ahead of the group as I noticed Forum member Randy Wiesner (palmislandRandy) making his way to the front in the blue shirt.

DSC_0574.jpg

- We opened the distance a bit as I noticed more and more customers exiting their cars and heading towards the gate, some were in a hurry. When we opened a little early, we might have caught them off guard.

DSC_0576.jpg

- We then flew ahead to drop off our handicapped passenger and to take off on foot to our positions.

DSC_0577.jpg

Ryan

• Upvote 2

South Florida

- 7:57AM - We made it to the sales area and took up viewing and directional positions, to see where people were going and to point them in the right direction if need be. The customers at the front of the pack were reaching the carts parked near the fertilizer shed.

DSC_0578.jpg

- It took only seconds for more customers to follow behind and select a cart to fit their needs. It looks like there is a lot of carts, but it is never enough.

DSC_0580.jpg

- I moved out of the way as some customers traveled down the main road towards the Bromeliads, landscape plants and the side shadehouse entrance while others made the turn and headed for the side road, en route to the shadehouse.

DSC_0581.jpg

- I swerved... over to take more photos while trying to stay out of the way.

DSC_0582.jpg

Ryan

• Upvote 2

South Florida

- 7:58AM - I made my way to my post inside the shadehouse, taking photos as I went. I passed collector and FM. Mike Harris (waykoolplantz) as he was making an observation on the customer next to him, as she ditched the smaller cart and went back for the larger one.

DSC_0584.jpg

- I squeezed through the shadehouse entrance and made it past the Croton crazyness and started to weave my way down the sidewalk; pointing out palm species and answering questions as I went.

DSC_0585.jpg

- 8:01AM - I made it to the intersection to find volunteer and FM. Jim Glock (jglock1) hard at work describing species to those browsing the tables.

DSC_0586.jpg

- 8:03AM - Requests for location data had me running up and down the sidewalk pointing out palms to collectors looking for certain species. Many of them with lists in hand, one of which being looked over by volunteer and FM. Tim O'Donnel (kwtimo). Collector Steve Resh, on the left with the boot, was the injured early arrival who needed a lift at the gate. He could have just been wearing it to be first to the shadehouse...hmm...

DSC_0587.jpg

Ryan

• Upvote 2

South Florida

- 8:05AM - In addition to our regular volunteer base, we were graced with the presence of el Presidente himself, IPS President, Director and FM. Ray Hernandez (SubTropicRay). We spent the first weekend discussing all sorts of society business, including the next biennial in Colombia. Jim was right there with a quick anecdote to make him laugh.

DSC_0588.jpg

- 8:09AM - Told ya you would see him again. Tim grins as he carefully handles the Licuala cordata while moving it to a waiting customers cart.

DSC_0589.jpg

- Carts began to fill up fast. This one was parked not far from the white tent and served as its own holding area, to a degree. A 2 gal. Licuala sallehana was placed to the left of a 3 gal. Calyptrocalyx yamutumene that was already on the cart. In behind, nestled by the Crotons was a 3 gal. Chamaedorea adscendens.

DSC_0590.jpg

- 8:10AM - The sidewalks were getting crowded a few minutes into the sale. We were getting cross-through traffic from other sales area sections.

DSC_0592.jpg

Ryan

• Upvote 3

South Florida

- 8:12AM - A 3 gal. multiple Chamaedorea ernesti-augusti gets lifted and carried off in a hurry.

DSC_0593.jpg

- 8:14AM - As the morning pace quickly escalated, Jim did his best to control traffic at the intersection. A 3 gal. Red Sealing Wax Palm, Cyrtostachys renda, gets placed into a cart with others soon to follow.

DSC_0594.jpg

- 8:18AM - I took a collector out to the full sun section to look for a palm and took a shot down the main road. Customers were also hitting the Bromeliad section in force. You may also notice that large notch cut out of the Royal Poinciana that shades the holding area, thanks to FPL.

DSC_0595.jpg

- I turned to head back into the shadehouse when I noticed it was getting busier by the tables.

DSC_0596.jpg

Ryan

• Upvote 2

South Florida

- 8:18AM - Peruse the signs, grab the palm, repeat.

DSC_0597.jpg

- A variety of plants make it to one cart, including palms, crotons, aroids and a few air plants. The three gallon palm towards the left is that mystery Dypsis sp., which is sitting next to a 1 gal. Dypsis sp. 'Bejoufa'. On the other side of the laying-down Alocasia, resides a 1 gal. Laccospadix australasicus and two, 1 gal. Heterospathe cagayanensis.

DSC_0598.jpg

- 8:21AM - In between answering questions and avoiding carts, I took photos of the action where ever I could. A customer heads towards me carrying a 1 gal. Beccariophoenix fenestralis, a 1 gal. Cyphophoenix nucele, and a 1 gal. Dypsis carlsmithii.

DSC_0599.jpg

- 8:22AM - More, more! The cart seen above had a few more plants added within a short span of time. At the far left, rear, a tall, 1 gal. Acanthophoenix crinita  and a 1 gal. Calamus aruensis can now be seen easier between the 'General MacArthur' croton and the Colocasia 'Black Coral'.

DSC_0600.jpg

Ryan

• Upvote 3

South Florida

- 8:25AM - A customer duo lean in and take a closer inspection of the larger Red Sealing Wax Palm specimen. The three gallon plants were being picked heavily throughout the morning and afternoon.

DSC_0601.jpg

- 8:31AM - A tall and ready to plant, 7 gal. Hydriastele beguinii gets loaded quickly.

DSC_0602.jpg

- A minute later, I had to move out of the way as Jim was transporting a 10 gal. Satakentia liukiuensis and a 1 gal. Hydriastele kasesa to the holding area.

DSC_0603.jpg

- 8:33AM - The impulse-buying size of Coccothrinax borhidiana, for those with smaller carts or vehicles with limited space. It is a tall, five gallon pot by volume.

DSC_0604.jpg

Ryan

• Upvote 3

South Florida

- 8:33AM - A grouping of Bromeliads meets a selection of small palms in one nearby cart. Those mottled leaves on the right side belong to a 1 gal. Pinanga maculata, the iconic Tiger Palm.

DSC_0605.jpg

- 8:35AM - I followed a few loaded carts and their happy collectors as they made their way to the holding area, some with added support. Pockets of real-estate within the holding area quickly became reserved. Jeff unloads the Licuala cordata and places it in a stash, as an onlooker or two look on.

DSC_0606.jpg

- One cart after another. With assistance from volunteers and holding area personnel, Jeff unloads another cart, placing plants of all kinds into a new stash...

DSC_0607.jpg

- ... one such palm was a 3 gal. Dypsis mirabilis, showing some of that characteristic candy-cane color.

DSC_0608.jpg

Ryan

• Upvote 2

South Florida

- 8:37AM - Everyone enjoys having Tim around. Not only does he apply his extensive plant expertise to everything he does, but he has the charisma that allows people to remember him, even after a long time... as these customers were experiencing. They 'caught' him as he was in transit to the front area...

DSC_0612.jpg

- He was in possession of a 15 gal. Chambeyronia macrocarpa var. hookeri, Ivory Flamethrower Palm, and was delivering it to the front area for a customer, en route to the registers.

DSC_0613.jpg

- 8:38AM - The Bromeliad section was filled to the brim with material. Every square foot and table space was occupied with either plant or path. The selection included cultivars and a few species, covering quite a few genera within the eclectic plant family. Volunteer Candy, in the back in red, mans the station.

DSC_0614.jpg

- 8:42AM - We were lucky once again to have the impeccable knowledge and services of volunteer and legendary plantsman Crafton Clift. He technically had free range over the entire sales area, as his pedigree would entail, but he was currently manning the section of Tropical Flowering Trees & Shrubs, one of his many fortes. It did not take him long to have a gathering; closely listening to everything he said.

DSC_0615.jpg

Ryan

• Upvote 3

South Florida

- 8:50AM - Jim Glock at the ready. We were trying to restock where we could mid-sale. Certain groups were grown not far from their sidewalk location, making some restocking easier than others. Jim tags a pair of 7 gal. Areca macrocalyx var. 'Mariae' destined to replace those that had sold. Just to the right...

DSC_0616.jpg

- The cart holding that Hydriastele beguinii seen earlier gets a partner, the last Areca macrocalyx var. 'Mariae' from its group, hence the restocking.

DSC_0617.jpg

- 8:52AM - As I was photographing the action, Jim mentioned that the large Red Sealing Wax Palm had an inflorescence. Although probably infertile, this is an event onto itself. This does not happen often in S. Florida.

DSC_0618.jpg

- 9:07AM - An hour into the day and the pace of the event showed no signs of slowing down.

DSC_0621.jpg

Ryan

• Upvote 2

South Florida

The macrocarpa var. hookeri was mine. I've given it a couple of weeks to adjust to the exposure it will receive. It's going in the ground this weekend.

• Upvote 2

Actually the wife pointed out that she dragged the tree to the holding area, so this isn't it. But I got its twin!

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, swayland said:

Actually the wife pointed out that she dragged the tree to the holding area, so this isn't it. But I got its twin!

The 15 gallon sized C. macrocarpa var. hookeri specimens were a popular palm indeed. We originally had two on display (the one you got and the other individual, selling in close proximity to each other) then we pulled more over the first weekend, eventually selling out. I remember them specifically. As we would pull another plant, tagging it, etc., I would go to replace the sign, but it was grabbed before I could place the sign back in front, this sequence happened twice. The sign just wasn't needed for them, I guess.

Ryan

• Upvote 1

South Florida

- 9:08AM - A colorful batch of plants waits in line to go through the checkout, including a Sky Vine, Thunbergia grandiflora, a few Mandevilla plants and a few Aroids.

DSC_0622.jpg

- The tale end of a rush through the checkout, a point where two lines were needed. Michelle Searle writes up the order on the right, as the selection on the left waits for its new owner to return.

DSC_0623.jpg

- Pots were made available this 'Ganza for those needing a decorative container. They are made in the Dominican Republic, not far from one of the stops during the 2006 IPS Biennial.

DSC_0624.jpg

- A large Mango tree gets a ride out to the parking area.

DSC_0626.jpg

Ryan

• Upvote 2

South Florida

- 9:09AM - Sometimes just stashing plants near the Holding Area sign is quick enough. We do recommend though that the stash be placed inside the fenced-off area just so they could be more easily flagged and monitored.

DSC_0627.jpg

- Amadeo helps to unload plants from a cart inside the holding area.

DSC_0628.jpg

- 9:10AM - A rather robust 10 gal. Calyptrogyne ghiesbreghtiana (the popular Vampire Palm), gets carted to the holding area to join an ever growing stash.

DSC_0629.jpg

- Back in front of the shadehouse entrance, it was business as usual and Tim was in the thick of it. Different groups of tropical plants inside the shadehouse alcove area sold out fast, some without any warning.

DSC_0630.jpg

Ryan

• Upvote 2

South Florida

- 9:24AM - "Watch it for me, I will be right back with a cart." A common phrase heard throughout the Extravaganza. In this particular moment I was standing watch over a 7 gal. Coccothrinax borhidiana, waiting for its new owner to return with a cart.

DSC_0631.jpg

- 9:37AM - The cart has arrived, and with new friends for the C. borhidiana, including another 10 gal. Calyptrogyne ghiesbreghtiana, a 15 gal. Euterpe sp. 'Orange Crownshaft' and a 3 gal. Dypsis basilonga.

DSC_0632.jpg

- 9:48AM - I went back outside to track the sounds of plant sale activity to find it busy near the main intersection. Tim was assisting one of his new friends when waiting behind him Jeff, noticing I was taking photos, tried to get my attention...

DSC_0633.jpg

- Tim and his new friend discuss all things botanical as I looked over what was on the cart. There was a tall, 3 gal. Alocasia 'Stingray' on the left in rear, a 3 gal. Jade Vine, Strongylodon macrobotrys in front, left, and the large shrub to the right is a newer species of Sanchezia in cultivation, S. sanmartinensis. There were other plants mixed in as well.

DSC_0634.jpg

Ryan

• Upvote 3

South Florida

- 9:52AM - There were many plants and varieties to choose from, throughout the entire sales area. For the uninitiated, it might seem a bit overwhelming. The plant sale veterans know where to go first and what to look for. The main road is always a hub of activity for those looking for landscape plants, Bromeliads and butterfly plants.

DSC_0635.jpg

- Just when you think your cart is full, there is always room for one more. The plants on this cart were pushed together to make room for a 7 gal. Phlogacanthus turgidus, or Lavender Bells. It was pulled from the group on the right, which was depleted during the first weekend. It shared the cart with a variety of plants, including a large, 7 gal. Chambeyronia macrocarpa (with the long arching leaves), and a 3 gal. Red Sealing Wax Palm, Cyrtostachys renda.

DSC_0636.jpg

- This showy Bromeliad was on the corner of the cart, but I didn't catch the name.

DSC_0637.jpg

- 9:53AM - As soon as one stash exits the holding area, a new one takes its place.

DSC_0638.jpg

Ryan

• Upvote 2

South Florida

- 9:53AM - Andrea talks with the same customer seen above while Amadeo keeps everything organized in the holding area.

DSC_0639.jpg

- The corner display of plant material is often the first or second group of plants seen by customers. It is a high visibility area and draws a lot of attention, as the plants here often sell out quickly.

DSC_0640.jpg

- 9:56AM - In the center of the intersection, Candy, Andrea and Jeff answer questions and point customers in the right direction.

DSC_0641.jpg

- 10:06AM - The 10 gal. Areca catechu cv. 'Dwarf' had its own reserved spot on the sidewalk in front of the white tent. It had such a following among customers and collectors that many proceeded to take photos of it and some even fondled it, when they thought no one was looking. That crownshaft donned a few extra fingerprints. It would have been great if we had about ten, 3-gallon plants to put near it.

DSC_0642.jpg

Ryan

• Upvote 4

South Florida

- 10:33AM - No palm was safe from being grabbed, not even the larger specimens. With Judy Glock on the handles, Ray maneuvers the 25 gal. Pritchardia pacifica from its resting spot on the sidewalk to the bottom of the tree dolly. 

DSC_0644.jpg

- Now for the fun part. With little or no view, Ray slowly pushes forward on the dolly, with me providing verbal guidance and heading.

DSC_0645.jpg

- Clear of the intersection, Ray and Judy maneuver the large palm by the tables and towards the shadehouse side exit.

DSC_0646.jpg

- 10:35AM - Out on the main road, it was clear sailing to the front area, or holding area. A typical, large plant moving operation during the sale.

DSC_0647.jpg

Ryan

• Upvote 2

South Florida

- 10:36AM - The large Red Sealing Wax Palm had their attention, but Jim had them in the palm of his hand.

DSC_0649.jpg

- 10:40AM - We seemed to be restocking the 10 gal. Calyptrogyne ghiesbreghtiana every few minutes. When this individual was pulled, I noticed it had a fully-opened, flowering inflorescence...

DSC_0651.jpg

- This inflorescence has always intrigued me. Not just for the white flowers on a unbranched, catkin-like display, but for the unique, garlic scent it emits in quantity. With no or only a slight breeze, I can pick up on it as I walk past.

DSC_0650.jpg

- 10:41AM - New to the 'Ganza, a peculiar Aroid with characteristic leaves and flower spathes. It is a Philodendron called 'Jungle Boogie' and we only had five plants. As you would expect, they didn't last long.

DSC_0652.jpg

Ryan

• Upvote 2

South Florida

- 10:41AM - Those brightly colored, rosy-red spathes emerging in abundance seemed to reach out and grab collectors as they walked past. I am not sure as to the color of the spadices themselves, as this plant was a new one for me as well, plus they all sold before the flowers fully emerged.

DSC_0653.jpg

- Typically, the Friday rush doesn't always apply to the landscape plant section, but there are some who make their way there first. More so, when they find out certain plants have limited quantities, they make it a priority.

DSC_0655.jpg

- 10:42AM - Time to load up an order for checkout, this time from the east entrance to the holding area. Jim keeps track of the plants as Jesse loads a 3 gal. Browneopsis ucayalina and a 3 gal. Barringtonia edulis, a pair of rare, tropical flowering trees.

DSC_0656.jpg

- Continuing the trend of flowering trees, Jeff brings over a 7 gal. Brownea macrophylla.

DSC_0657.jpg

Ryan

• Upvote 1

South Florida

- 10:43AM - One more big plant for the trailer. A 10 gal. Ficus pseudopalma, Palm-Leaf Fig, gets loaded next to last.

DSC_0659.jpg

- It was a bit top-heavy and needed some extra help to get to the parking area. Jeff and Tim double check if there are more plants to load.

DSC_0660.jpg

- 10:52AM - "Ooh, I want one of those too." A customer points out the grouping of Phlogacanthus turgidus, as carts get full around them.

DSC_0661.jpg

- 11:08AM - I kept hearing my name being called in the distance, so I headed back inside the shadehouse, or tried to. It was busy in here all morning. At one point I had to duck under the tape and take my own way to the white tent to avoid traffic.

DSC_0664.jpg

Ryan

• Upvote 1

South Florida

- 12:26PM - Easy to enjoy and appreciate, the 10 gal. size of Pelagodoxa henryana was hard to ignore.

DSC_0666.jpg

- 12:31PM - It was placed near the shadehouse entrance while the customers continued to browse. Jeff was on his way inside, when he paused for a second to pose with it..

DSC_0669.jpg

- 12:37PM - A cart full of palm goodness, a veritable collection onto itself. This variety was either going to start a collection or extend one even further. From left to right: a 1 gal. Lemurophoenix halleuxii, a tall 3 gal. Arenga undulatifolia, a shorter 3 gal. Arenga hookeriana, a 7 gal. Wallichia disticha, and a bushy, 3 gal. Pinanga disticha.

DSC_0670.jpg

- 12:47PM - We restocked the Pelagodoxa henryana seen above with another specimen. The customers who got the first one, liked the second one better, so we switched them. Tim helped to add more plants to the cart, including a 10 gal. Dypsis lanceolata.

DSC_0671.jpg

Ryan

• Upvote 3

South Florida

:yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay:

So much eye candy...I think I have diabetes now!

Such a great event. Thrilled to have been one time.  Wish I could have been there this year.

By the way Ryan, who is the Chiefs fan?  

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Hammer said:

:yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay:

So much eye candy...I think I have diabetes now!

Such a great event. Thrilled to have been one time.  Wish I could have been there this year.

That would be Tim, who lives down in Key West and is originally from Philly.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Great pictures as usual Ryan. Thanks for taking the time to post them. Looks like you guys had another great sale. Hey Jeff!

3 hours ago, Jeff Searle said:

That would be Tim, who lives down in Key West and is originally from Philly.

Go Chiefs!!

21 hours ago, Fallbrook Jason said:

Great pictures as usual Ryan. Thanks for taking the time to post them. Looks like you guys had another great sale. Hey Jeff!

Hi Jason! Hope all is well with you and the family. We did have an awesome sale this spring. It was our best since 2010. We have some really great friends that help us at many of these sales. And it as nice to have our IPS President (Ray) to come down and help. Thanks again for all that came!

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

- 12:48PM - The cart seen above makes its way to the front area, loaded to the edges with palms and plants. This shot provides another view of the Dypsis lanceolata seen above being loaded.

DSC_0672.jpg

- 1:18PM - I was on my way to lunch when I spotted this 7 gal. Verschaffeltia splendida sitting on a cart with its sign & stake still in the pot. It shared the cart with a few other plants including a 1 gal. Dypsis rosea, yet another 3 gal. Cyrtostachys renda, a 'Black Magic' cordyline, and tall, 1 gal. Areca catechu, Betel Nut Palm, leaning over to the right.

DSC_0673.jpg

- I went in to remove the sign and stake, and decided to photograph the stilt roots with a handy scale object.

DSC_0674.jpg

- 3:26PM - After lunch, the latter hours of the day saw continued activity at a slower pace than during the morning. We were waiting for the late day, after-work rush that usually corresponds with that time on Friday. Not only will he help with all things plant related, but Crafton will also pull your cart for you. Crafton steers both cart and customer past the tables as he describes plants and species to the customer. That 3 gal. Licuala peltata var. sumawongii, at the corner of the cart with solid leaves, was one of the latest to join the growing collection.

DSC_0675.jpg

Ryan

• Upvote 2

South Florida

- 3:27PM - Timing is everything. The Banana cultivar that has been growing near the shadehouse entrance for a long time (very long time) had produced a few hands of fruit. This doesn't happen often during the Spring 'Ganza, and when it does I am the last to hear about it (due to no remaining fruit). Judy Glock was first to grab one of the more recently-ripe bananas, followed by me.

DSC_0676.jpg

- It was smaller in size than most other cultivars, but perfectly formed and very sweet. It was at the very beginning of ripeness.

DSC_0677.jpg

- 3:35PM - Some plants had to travel further than others to get to their new home. These two, a 25 gal. Dypsis carlsmithii and a 15 gal. Euterpe sp. 'Orange Crownshaft', get wrapped in burlap for protection. It is handy how certain palms can lay-flat and combine their leaves vertically for transport.

DSC_0678.jpg

- 3:37PM - Customers entered the sales area right up until closing time, and some tried to soon after, having to come back Saturday. With less than ninety minutes remaining in the sale for Friday, the traffic waned a bit, but never stopped.

DSC_0679.jpg

Ryan

• Upvote 2

South Florida

- 3:38PM - "Ok, who is getting what again?" Plant shopping among friends and relatives can be the most entertaining. The varied collections do not always correspond to cart, as space may be used by anyone in the group; not counting when people change their minds, or even do some inter-group trading.

DSC_0680.jpg

- 4:01PM - The usual suspects. The end of the first day was approaching as Jim, Jeff, Tim and Ray relax by the white tent. They were discussing the days' activities and events, and what the remainder of the first weekend may hold; not to mention a few other funny comments better heard than read.

DSC_0681.jpg

- 4:59PM - One of the last second sales, if not, thee last sale of the day. The trailer held a large selection of plants, spanning a few different groups. Near the rear of the trailer a couple of individual palm species made the selection; including a 7 gal. Hydriastele pinangoides (the only specimen we had) and a rare 3 gal. Roscheria melanochaetes (the only specimen we had). The R. melanochaetes was hiding in among the tabled one-gallons for much of the day, it kept moving around somehow. Carlos flies past in a hurry, helping to load plants off to the left...

DSC_0682.jpg

- At the front of the trailer, was another 15 gal. Chambeyronia macrocarpa var. hookeri, being steadied by Jeremy. He was helping Jesse take the trailer load out to the parking area as Larry Searle approaches on the right, taking care of last minute details of the day before closing the registers down.

DSC_0684.jpg

... now onto the post tour, where food, palms and stories await attendees...

Ryan

• Upvote 2

South Florida

Post Tour, Friday evening, Searle Residence...

- 6:03PM - After the action at the nursery had ended for the day, crew, volunteers, guests, etc. traveled to the Searle Residence for a traditional 'post tour', which includes a typical tour, walk-n-talk with drinks in hand, talking plants, telling stories and more. The tour is followed by a incredible dinner, including a great spread of food provided by Jim & Judy Glock. At around six in the evening, we exited the house and entered the yard via the patio with drinks in hand and proceeded to tour the yard.

Residing between pool and patio, this mature Areca catechu cv. 'Dwarf' is usually the first palm to greet people as they cross through the sliding doors.

DSC_0686.jpg

- Seed, ooh... They still need to turn orange/yellow to be ripe, which is not far away. The tree flowers and fruits regularly, but the cultivar does not come true from seed, not all of the seed I should say. Some become very nice and attractive semi-dwarfs, (or dwarves) in addition to the very few, true dwarf juveniles.

DSC_0687.jpg

- 6:05PM - A leaf of a nearby Ficus dammaropsis poses for a photo. The entire plant is getting harder and harder to fit into one shot, as it grows along one edge of the pool.

DSC_0688.jpg

- Growing, with its base bordering the F. dammaropsis, is a tall and emergent Hydriastele beguinii var. 'Obi Island Form'. It has a showy inflorescence. 

DSC_0689.jpg

Ryan

• Upvote 3

South Florida

On 3/18/2017, 9:52:17, Hammer said:

... Such a great event. Thrilled to have been one time.  Wish I could have been there this year.

Hey Adam,

I do remember your visit to the 'Ganza and so did a customer. I was talking to a collector from Friday, who must have been near us when we were talking during your visit, as they asked if "that guy from California who came to the sale by ditching his company thing" was there. I figured they were thinking of you or one other forum member. I see Jeff answered your question referring to Tim's Chiefs hat. He had it on and off throughout the weekend.

On 3/18/2017, 12:41:13, Opal92 said:

Mouth watering... Time for me to move south!!! B)

We had a larger than usual attendance from places further north. I met customers from Central Florida and coastal areas further north. We even had visitors from the Atlantic coastal states and the northeast. I think they just happened upon the sale as they were escaping that blizzard from a few weeks ago. I met a family from Rhode Island who were completely blown away by the diversity and variety of palms that exist.

On 3/18/2017, 11:25:50, Fallbrook Jason said:

Thanks Jason,

We were wondering throughout the two weeks, who from out west might just show up and surprise everyone. It has happened before.

Ryan

• Upvote 1

South Florida