IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

A Coconut Palm Growing In The Dunes At North Padre Island, Texas

Mr. Coconut Palm

On 7/3/2017, 11:02:44, Mr.SamuraiSword said:

any updates?

any updates?

Yes, Keegan, it is doing better now, and is pushing out a nice new spear leaf.  I will try to get a photo of it this weekend and post it here.

On 5/24/2017, 11:38:33, palmfriend said:

John,

That was probably the best option, to dig it out and replant it - too bad that it didn't work out where you found it, but better this way than risking the plants life.

All the best with it,

best regards

Lars

Thanks, Lars.

• Upvote 1

any updates?

any updates?

Yes, Keegan, it is doing better now, and is pushing out a nice new spear leaf.  I will try to get a photo of it this weekend and post it here.

On 5/24/2017, 11:38:33, palmfriend said:

John,

That was probably the best option, to dig it out and replant it - too bad that it didn't work out where you found it, but better this way than risking the plants life.

All the best with it,

best regards

Lars

Thanks, Lars.

Here is an updated photo taken yesterday of the beach coconut palm that I moved to the Sea Life Center a few months ago.  It is putting out a new spear leaf, and I think it will continue to recover and take off and start growing faster soon.  It is a good thing I moved it when I did, because it had virtually no roots and was very dry even though I was trying to water it once or twice a week at the beach.

Image may contain: plant, flower, nature and outdoor

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

Here is an updated photo taken yesterday of the beach coconut palm that I moved to the Sea Life Center a few months ago.  It is putting out a new spear leaf, and I think it will continue to recover and take off and start growing faster soon.  It is a good thing I moved it when I did, because it had virtually no roots and was very dry even though I was trying to water it once or twice a week at the beach.

Image may contain: plant, flower, nature and outdoor

It looks good - nice and strong color, it is definitely recovering! Well done, John. :greenthumb:

Now we need to find out what coconut species it will be - I am looking forward the next update,

best regards

Lars

11 hours ago, palmfriend said:

It looks good - nice and strong color, it is definitely recovering! Well done, John. :greenthumb:

Now we need to find out what coconut species it will be - I am looking forward the next update,

best regards

Lars

Thanks, Lars.  So far, it looks like a Green Malayan Dwarf, which is what some of our sprouts are that we get from beach coconuts that wash up here.  I don't think it is a pure Mexican Tall, or else it would have been doing a little better where it was.

John

Hello John,

Why did the coconut had no roots before, I take it was able to develop them now at the new place? 

52 minutes ago, Cluster said:

Hello John,

Why did the coconut had no roots before, I take it was able to develop them now at the new place? 

Hey Pedro,

Good question.  I think it was because it was so dry where it was growing in the foredunes and just never really got established there.  I think it was just barely hanging on, which is why I decided to move it, but still keep it on the island.  I think it is probably beginning to root pretty good now, since the new spear leaf that is opening is a pretty robust leaf.

John

Edited by Mr. Coconut Palm
  • Upvote 1

• 2 years later...