IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Magical, Mystery palm lives in California, will it continue?

BS Man about Palms

This Mystery, Magical palm has done what its not supposed to be able to do. Live in California. First, a couple years back it was growing in the ground in northern California. Then the owner moved and dug it up, :o only to be moved down to southern California and planted again and keep growing. Apparently it has lived through two winters in California. But the owner is leaving the continent now... Do you know what it is?

20170128_153423.thumb.jpg.7e8b41da7a70f0

• Upvote 4

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Oh yeah, maybe this will help with the ID...

20170128_153418.thumb.jpg.f684531ebbbc84

• Upvote 2

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

That would be most impressive if it survives. My experience is been zero luck even getting them through early winter. They turn brown at the first sign of sub 40F nights. Good growing wherever it is.

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

No clue about the plant but I think I have guessed correctly former owner. Has the plant spent some time also in Fallbrook?

• Upvote 1

If it's a lamarckianum, and it survives, I will suspect witchcraft!

They hate anything except a very narrow band of temps in the cloud forest.

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

It's D lamarckianum for sure. I lost more to rats than anything else.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Bill, your lucky I passed on that plant.;)

• Upvote 1

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Just now, Fallbrook Jason said:

There's something special about that plant!  Hoping you see 3" of spear growth rather quickly. 

how is your stuff doing you got Jason?

Sunset zone 24

3 minutes ago, Josh-O said:

how is your stuff doing you got Jason?

So far so good. Tiny bit of push so far on the new spears. Gave everything a nice kelp drink yesterday. Perfect weather right now for digging stuff so I'm hoping for the best.  How about you?

• Upvote 1

I killed myself yesterday. Got a lot done but need to finish up next week.

• Upvote 1

Sunset zone 24

3 minutes ago, Fallbrook Jason said:

So far so good. Tiny bit of push so far on the new spears. Gave everything a nice kelp drink yesterday. Perfect weather right now for digging stuff so I'm hoping for the best.  How about you?

that ambo is gonna crank for you

Sunset zone 24

1 hour ago, Josh-O said:

Bill, your lucky I passed on that plant.;)

I saw it first! :P

Did you get that Guihaia out yet?

Well, all the guesses of the lamarkianum were right. Truly a magical palm to start with AND growing in California was even more amazing. Len saw it yesterday ad said it was bigger than the pics looked. I guess so. It was in a difficult place to dig. It was VERY low in a wet swale, with a short wall, Drain pipe, spiked and spiny palms and a couple small Licualas surrounding it. As I was basically done, the owner said it would have been fine to hurt the other stuff.. :( 

Its in a 15 gal squat pot, so it is a decent size. 

20170309_151418.thumb.jpg.207324f2041074

20170309_151430.thumb.jpg.a93b054fd1952b

• Upvote 4

This pic doesn't show it well, but it is starting to show the "purple/blue" on the previous leaf base. Very cool and why I fell in love with it.

20170309_151444.thumb.jpg.fc59d29c348d16

• Upvote 4

19 minutes ago, BS Man about Palms said:

I saw it first! :P

Did you get that Guihaia out yet?

its in a 20 gal bucket in the green house. I need to figure out where to plant it.

• Upvote 2

Sunset zone 24

11 minutes ago, BS Man about Palms said:

This pic doesn't show it well, but it is starting to show the "purple/blue" on the previous leaf base. Very cool and why I fell in love with it.

20170309_151444.thumb.jpg.fc59d29c348d16

it is a very special plant indeed!!

Sunset zone 24

Now for the bad or sad part. As I mentioned, it was very low in a difficult place to dig.. (If I had known it was okay to sacrifice others, I think I would have..but I just made an assumption, oh well) As it was, I dug down what I would guess was 18" below the average surrounding soil line, the level where the palm was I was probably digging barely 12" down. I did better on a Lepidoracchis I dug after, but it was easier to access. I had success there with a digging "stick" that allowed me to claw out soil in a tight area. So, the owner showed up just as I was about to pop up the last  bit. We both heard a faint "click" , he heard it better than I did. I was hopeful as I had roughly 12" of soil below... Lifted it up and set in the pot.

When I looked back at the hole, I saw this.. :( I placed it in the pot hoping for osmosis I guess, or to remind me of my mistake. I just marked the spear this morning, so we shall see. The 3" rule completely applies here.

20170311_085829.thumb.jpg.82af2e1980fe17

Pretty sure that was a/the tap root. Not a good thing, but as he said, right now is their happy growing time so who knows. I went at it assuming it's chances of survival were very slim, but Hey I'll give it a try... I may try to help it recover at Josh's... ;) 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, BS Man about Palms said:

Now for the bad or sad part. As I mentioned, it was very low in a difficult place to dig.. (If I had known it was okay to sacrifice others, I think I would have..but I just made an assumption, oh well) As it was, I dug down what I would guess was 18" below the average surrounding soil line, the level where the palm was I was probably digging barely 12" down. I did better on a Lepidoracchis I dug after, but it was easier to access. I had success there with a digging "stick" that allowed me to claw out soil in a tight area. So, the owner showed up just as I was about to pop up the last  bit. We both heard a faint "click" , he heard it better than I did. I was hopeful as I had roughly 12" of soil below... Lifted it up and set in the pot.

When I looked back at the hole, I saw this.. :( I placed it in the pot hoping for osmosis I guess, or to remind me of my mistake. I just marked the spear this morning, so we shall see. The 3" rule completely applies here.

20170311_085829.thumb.jpg.82af2e1980fe17

Pretty sure that was a/the tap root. Not a good thing, but as he said, right now is their happy growing time so who knows. I went at it assuming it's chances of survival were very slim, but Hey I'll give it a try... I may try to help it recover at Josh's... ;) 

does it need a little green house love for a minute :)

• Upvote 1

Sunset zone 24

6 minutes ago, Josh-O said:

does it need a little green house love for a minute :)

Yes Please.. in a little bit.. :huh: Unless now is good

• Upvote 1

Sorry for the extremely poor pic, but so far is good news. I marked it the day after I dug it, so, on the assumption it grew the same amount the night I dug it, that's about 1/4" growth in two days. Not out of the woods at all, but the right direction!!

20170312_113737.thumb.jpg.d357fc7a84e6be

• Upvote 1

This is so cool BS Man!  I hope it makes it.  This would be more sensational than the Newport Coconut,  may it rest in peace.

:yay:

• Upvote 2

Bill, if you transplant a Chamaedorea tenella, does the three inch rule still apply?

• Upvote 2

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

50 minutes ago, LJG said:

Bill, if you transplant a Chamaedorea tenella, does the three inch rule still apply?

Snark if you must, but you know it works.. :P But if you are remotely serious I would think smaller plants would have less needed to indicate recovery.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, richnorm said:

Plant it now!  They hate pot culture.  The stability of being in the ground seems to really help.

Rich, do you have some doing OK?

I've been reading up on this and have some ideas on where and how I will plant it. If it keeps going. The consensus is it will only take a month or so know if it will live. But I'm thinking of planting Gingers or the like to the south of it to get some warmth and yet keep it humid nearby. Maybe shadecloth and may be my first pot planting.. (Boxes don't count) :P 

2 hours ago, LJG said:

LMAO!!!!:floor:

Sunset zone 24

I hope its not gonna run out of residue energy then DIE?:innocent:

I hate false hope digs

Sunset zone 24

1 hour ago, Josh-O said:

I hope its not gonna run out of residue energy then DIE?:innocent:

I hate false hope digs

Speaking of Josh.  What's the latest? 

3 hours ago, BS Man about Palms said:

Rich, do you have some doing OK?

Yes,but they are bloody tricky here!

• Upvote 1

On 3/12/2017, 9:52:38, Hammer said:

Speaking of Josh.  What's the latest? 

Good question I'll check tomorrow when I'm at the garden and nursery. 

Sunset zone 24

Bill, did you get these palms from AK, our 'stumphead'?  What about the Lepidorrhachis ?  Was it dug or potted when you obtained it ?  (It originally came from me !)  :winkie: 

• Upvote 2

San Francisco, California

On 3/17/2017, 7:34:45, Darold Petty said:

Bill, did you get these palms from AK, our 'stumphead'?  What about the Lepidorrhachis ?  Was it dug or potted when you obtained it ?  (It originally came from me !)  :winkie: 

good question Darold.

Sunset zone 24

On 3/17/2017, 7:34:45, Darold Petty said:

That is an affirmitive. I had to dig all I got. Happy to note its pushed @ 3/4" since digging.. I might just replant soon! (Hard part is finding the perfect location!)

• Upvote 1

Happy to see about 2 weeks in its pushed over 1.25"... Very surprised... and happy

20170323_164944.thumb.jpg.6fc53de3c9987d

• Upvote 4

On 3/15/2017, 10:08:48, Josh-O said:

Good question I'll check tomorrow when I'm at the garden and nursery. 

???

54 minutes ago, BS Man about Palms said:

Happy to see about 2 weeks in its pushed over 1.25"... Very surprised... and happy

20170323_164944.thumb.jpg.6fc53de3c9987d

Wow!  Freaking wow!!!