IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palm advice please

Plantasexoticas

Hi everyone, so I purchased a Washingtonia around a month ago. It was in the nursery sitting in a lot of cold water with around 20 others. They all looked quite healthy so I got one. Since putting it into the warm and dry it has pushed up 2 spears both of which are partially rotted, the first has opened but has lots of brown marks, the second is worse but it's still pushing up the spear. Question is if the spear is being pushed up and it doesn't pull out should I worry? Or just let it push them up until healthy growth recurs? I did photograph and show them to the nursery and I said it was probably due to sitting in cold water over winter (they had flooding)- they have since moved them to the dry. 

I Think it should be fine but never hurts to pour some peroxide into the growth point or bud. Cold and wet will make palms develop fungus and that can actually kill the palm. Posting a photo would help diagnose the issue but by the sound of things it sounds like bud rot. 

• Upvote 1

The second spear had bent over where it was weak so I've just cut it off. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Never used peroxide before but may go to a pharmacy and get some as would be nice not to lose this Palm. 

It seems to want to keep going though as these 2 spears were pushed up in a matter of weeks

Yeah that's classic fungus damage. Peroxide will definitely help.When you pour it down in the growth point it will fizzle which is a sign that it's killing fungus. I always use that stuff whenever I'm in doubt. Won't hurt the palm at all but will kill off fungus. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Chris Chance said:

Yeah that's classic fungus damage. Peroxide will definitely help.When you pour it down in the growth point it will fizzle which is a sign that it's killing fungus. I always use that stuff whenever I'm in doubt. Won't hurt the palm at all but will kill off fungus. 

Thank you, much appreciated. I'll use the peroxide just in case. I'm pleased its pushing leaves out though and hopefully the next one will look better. 

Do you dilute the peroxide when you use it?

About 10 years ago I purchased 10 balled and burlaped Washingtonia robusta palms and planted them. They did good for awhile, the every one of them started to decline and send up new fronds that had lots of necrotic spots on them. I was advised to root and bud drench all of my palms with a wide spectrum fungicide (I used Cleary's 3336). This corrected the problem. Obviously, my palms had some kind of disease/bacterial infection, what specifically I don't know. If your palms growth bud has a bacterial infection, a copper fungicide should cure it. I also use peroxide as a back up.

Mad about palms

This looks like the typical cold/cool/wet damage that washingtonia get. No need to worry or treat as it will grow right out of it. 

• Upvote 1

I agree, it looks more like a climate issue than a disease. That being said, I wouldn't hesitate to do a peroxide drench as a stressed plant is set up for secondary fungal problems. 

1 hour ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

This looks like the typical cold/cool/wet damage that washingtonia get. No need to worry or treat as it will grow right out of it. 

Edited by topwater
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

Thank you - I was thinking it should grow out but I've purchased peroxide now and will give it a treatment. keeping it relatively dry until it resumes normal growth then it's going to be kept against a warm south facing wall outside. 

17 hours ago, Plantasexoticas said:

Thank you, much appreciated. I'll use the peroxide just in case. I'm pleased its pushing leaves out though and hopefully the next one will look better. 

Do you dilute the peroxide when you use it?

Pour it right in straight!

Washies are tough. It should recover fine. If you have room, put it outside for the summer, in full sun.

Let us know what happens.

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

4 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

Pour it right in straight!

Washies are tough. It should recover fine. If you have room, put it outside for the summer, in full sun.

Let us know what happens.

Thank you :D 

and ill keep you updated. I have several Washingtonia seedlings, one that is a few years old from seed but I purchased this larger one as I'm doing a little talk on exotics later in the year at a local gardening club and needed some larger plants to spark interest (so I hope it makes it!) 

hoping when it recovers that it'l be a permanent feature outdoors. There is a large one in a town near me that seems well. 

• 4 weeks later...

Update, placed outside after the last frosts to get some air and it seems to be recovering, this last warm week seems to of encouraged growth. The rest of the last damaged frond is appearing and I'm hoping the next frond is normal.

image.jpeg

It looks like it should push through. Those grow so fast in heat you won't even notice the damage by the end of the growing season. 

• Upvote 1