Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Cretan date palm

15 posts in this topic

Getting ready to flower. This one is a female & no other male dates in the area. I have multiple other dates, but they haven't flowered yet.

2ykjg9e.jpg23vm6gw.jpg

These keep suckering right? Very nice looking palms.

Cheers, Barrie.

Post a new picture of the fully developed female inflorescence. Mine have not started yet blooming this year.

Yeah, they sucker like hell... Nothing my 20V sawzall can't handle.

Thusfar these dont seem as hardy as dacty or CIDP.  Almost all of the 3g cretans spear pulled while 1g cidp and dacty only had a few funky spears. 

I have three & have never had a spear pull.

Posted (edited)

I was always under the impression that Theophrastii's like the humidity a little more than CIDP's and especially dactylifera. I've seen they can be an 8B palm. I have one still in a pot; I'm going to wait as long as I can till I put it in ground. 

Btw, those spines look vicious. The military should use the fronds from these in place of barbed wire. Lol

Edited by smithgn

I grow them here in Florida.  They seem to have issues with leaf spot if not in full sun here.  I can attest that they are very spiny.  They draw blood pretty easily.

Speaking of these, I think a seller sent me the wrong seeds.  The seed on the left is definitely Phoenix Theophrastii.  The seed on the right is supposed to be theophrastii according to the label, but looks more like dactylifera or acaulis.

20170310_2300_CretanDatePalmSeeds.png

Those are great looking palms Laaz. Thanks for posting the pics. I've never seen any of these in person that I am aware of, so I appreciate getting to see them from afar. It may not be as much fun as seeing them in person, but the risk of running afoul of those spines is quite low from my living room. :D

You may very well be right Kinzyjr ... at least from my perspective.

Cheers, Barrie.

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2017‎ ‎8‎:‎13‎:‎04‎, kinzyjr said:

Speaking of these, I think a seller sent me the wrong seeds.  The seed on the left is definitely Phoenix Theophrastii.  The seed on the right is supposed to be theophrastii according to the label, but looks more like dactylifera or acaulis.

20170310_2300_CretanDatePalmSeeds.png

The flowers are starting to open. Looks like male flowers?

4qik5e.jpgfazn1v.jpg

34nmsdj.jpg2zhk4gk.jpg

are male

On 15/4/2017, 7:27:31, Laaz said:

The flowers are starting to open. Looks like male flowers?

4qik5e.jpgfazn1v.jpg

34nmsdj.jpg2zhk4gk.jpg

Very detailed and meticulous trim work on the spines! Do you plan having access to the flowers?

No, I have no other date palms blooming roght now. I try & keep the spines cut back a bit because my wife hates the spines.

Edited by Laaz