IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

ID - is this Tahina spectabilis?

PalmatierMeg

Back in December we took an 11-day cruise to the West Indies. When we got back I found this palm sitting on the porch to my garden shed. I think I know what it is: Tahina spectabilis. But will someone confirm that ID?

Background: Back in fall 2014 I offered to a former PT member Acrocomia crispa and A. aculeata seeds I'd collected during an ecotour of Cuba. In return he offered me a Tahina spectabilis seedling he had germinated but didn't have room for, to be delivered next time he was working in Cape Coral (he lives in Ft. Myers). I never heard from him again but the Tahina showed up unannounced in Dec. 2016 while I was away. In the meantime I stayed laid back because I knew eventually he would come through - it took weeks for him to deliver my second rainbow eucalyptis he also didn't have room for.

Late in Feb. we planted the palm on the garden lot where we'd cut down a Moringa oleifera that produced scant shade but dropped constant branches and other debris. I know I'll never see my Tahina trunk much less flower. That issue must be faced by whoever owns my property in 50 years.

Photos of Tahina spectabilis (?)

58bfec0dd069f_Tahinaspectabilis013-8-17.58bfec1c47c35_Tahinaspectabilis023-8-17.

• Upvote 4

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Meg, it is in fact Tahina. The naturally irregular deep splitting in the leaflets is unique to Tahina. Maybe I can walk down the street and help you find a good spot in your yard! :)

Try and find a good alkaline area on the lot - they do much better there from my experience. 

Christian Faulkner

Venice, Florida - South Sarasota County.

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε

Even if you never get to see it trunk, you will enjoy watching it turn into a monster. One of mine (and there are people with ones a lot bigger) has the newest leaf measuring a little over 10' across at its widest point.  Each leaf seems to be larger than the last. I can only imagine how massive this palm is going to become.

• Upvote 2

Ron

Wellington, Florida

Zone 11 in my mind

Zone 10a 9a in reality

13miles West of the Atlantic in Palm Beach County

Yep, sure is a Tahina, about the size of the one I have.

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

Meg,

Yes, most definitely Tahina, as has already been confirmed. This is one palm that will really benefit from going in the ground ASAP. The sooner you plant it, the sooner you will see results (as opposed to if it stays in the pot for an extended time). Good luck - it should do very well for you. :)

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

I found this palm sitting on the porch to my garden shed. 

I wish I find some palms sitting on my door step, some Lodoicea, some Tahina, some Wallaceodoxa...
Don't hesitate IPS friends, don't! 
:D

• Upvote 2

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

Hi Meg!

Wow!  I agree with Philippe, imagine coming home with fabulous palms left on your doorstep!!!

These grow really fast for me, Meg, and as long as they get enough water and full sun you should be fine.

All my best to you.

Peter

20170221_160922_Film3 (2).jpg

• Upvote 1

Peter

hot and humid, short rainy season May through October, 14* latitude, 90* longitude

1 hour ago, Peter Pacific said:

Hi Meg!

Wow!  I agree with Philippe, imagine coming home with fabulous palms left on your doorstep!!!

These grow really fast for me, Meg, and as long as they get enough water and full sun you should be fine.

All my best to you.

Peter

20170221_160922_Film3 (2).jpg

That's a wonderful garden!
I don't remember I have seen many pictures on Palmtalk ! did I?

Looking forward to more soon. 
Thanks

Philippe

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka