IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Ready for Spring?

GottmitAlex

Are you ready for spring folks? It's just a fortnight away. 

The weather seems to have stabilized here: High 70's during the day, and low 60's at night.

Except for one coco, they all made it through the Socal winter. Hopes are high for this year. 

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

As far as the calendar date for spring, yes, it's coming.  When it comes to the classic markers of spring though, it's already here.  My caladiums started coming up in February.  That's never happened before.  Usually it is at least mid-April to early May.  One date palm flowered in January.

• Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

That is great Kinzy. The season started early for you this year. 

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

Spring began popping out all over in Northern VA/ DC as early as late January.  EVERYTHING is blooming, even Cherry Blossoms.  Their peak should be  in the next 5-8 days. A full month early.  It looks more like the end of april here than early march.  Unfortunately some of winters coldest temperatures since december are upon us and will stay for a week,, including  possibly up to a foot of snow here on Monday night into Tuesday.   This cold had Already mostly destroyed the Star Magnolias and other deciduous magnolias that were in full bloom a several days ago when we had a one night cold spell of mid 20's.  This current and much longer lasting and deeper cold spell has a very good chance of destroying most flowering trees blooms this year, even before they are fully open. This includes the famous thousands of Cherry Bbossom trees around the DC Tidal Basin.  They are now in stage 3 of bloom, and and about 5-10% of them are open.  Damage begins  at 27F which is where we sit now.  24F or lower will likely destroy 90% of the blossoms and the lows are looking to be that or lower over the next few nights.   This could be the first year on record without a notable bloom should this happen.  Its very big news here in DC as this is a much lauded event every year. Aside of the thousands of trees around the tidal basin, there are hundreds of thousands of trees all across the entire region here, all of which will suffer the same fate, along with other flowering tree species.    What was a record warm winter has turned on us, and at the worst possible time. 

Sorry to hear that DCA_Palm_Fan. I hope folks over there are re-covering up their prized palms and blooms. 

I guess it's winter's last strike for your area. 

It has been the other way around here for us. Today we hit 90F and they're calling for higher temps throughout and into early next week.

I was just in Richmond today, I saw a very tall Windmill palm that had a full head of green fronds, it was in between two buildings. 

PalmTreeDude

17 hours ago, DCA_Palm_Fan said:

Spring began popping out all over in Northern VA/ DC as early as late January.  EVERYTHING is blooming, even Cherry Blossoms.  Their peak should be  in the next 5-8 days. A full month early.  It looks more like the end of april here than early march.  Unfortunately some of winters coldest temperatures since december are upon us and will stay for a week,, including  possibly up to a foot of snow here on Monday night into Tuesday.   This cold had Already mostly destroyed the Star Magnolias and other deciduous magnolias that were in full bloom a several days ago when we had a one night cold spell of mid 20's.  This current and much longer lasting and deeper cold spell has a very good chance of destroying most flowering trees blooms this year, even before they are fully open. This includes the famous thousands of Cherry Bbossom trees around the DC Tidal Basin.  They are now in stage 3 of bloom, and and about 5-10% of them are open.  Damage begins  at 27F which is where we sit now.  24F or lower will likely destroy 90% of the blossoms and the lows are looking to be that or lower over the next few nights.   This could be the first year on record without a notable bloom should this happen.  Its very big news here in DC as this is a much lauded event every year. Aside of the thousands of trees around the tidal basin, there are hundreds of thousands of trees all across the entire region here, all of which will suffer the same fate, along with other flowering tree species.    What was a record warm winter has turned on us, and at the worst possible time. 

Same deal here in Montgomery, it's unbelievable. Azaleas and Dogwoods are in full bloom and pretty much any tree you can imagine have leaves emerging. My banana tree and canna lilies are even regrowing.

Right now we're forecasted to have a low of 29F next week. I don't know what kind of effect this will have but I hope it's not enough to kill all the blooms. What worries me the most is the forecast continues to get colder every day. 

I feel even worse for you guys up there because the forecast looks brutal, especially for March. 

We're supposed to hit 40F on 2 of the nights.  A little brisk this time of year, but nothing that will kill anything.

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

I have been worried that a late cold snap would so in the trees, and so be it.Never fails. All that warmth down the toilet. Farmers are going to feel this one in the south because of the trees in bloom, and cold enough that even places like NJ and PA may see severe damage due to the recent warmth. I am sure trees there are ready to bloom, too. Such a shame. Cold forecasted even here in Tampa Bay with middle 40'f s expected two nights - coldest since mid January! :blink:

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

Our lows here in the DC area for two straight nights are 17-24.  Thats brutal for this time of year, but made mounds worse because most everything is in mid april or later growth.   I dont have much hope that any of the flowering trees that are out/ almost out will bloom this year.   The over 1 foot  of snow were going to get isnt the problem.  Its the extreme cold after a month of record warmth.  Our  winter has been a zone warmer and everything responded that way.   Shame it didnt just stay warm, or even average. Average now wouldn't harm anything.