IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My new 7 dollar zamia - Which is it?

GDLWyverex

Here are photos of my new 7 dollar male zamia. It was grown in the shade so it's color and compactness may be a bit off a bit. It looks a whole lot like furfuracea but without the fuzzy petals... Any ideas as to its identity?

ZamiaFull.jpg.a03b84e3cd329749a0b22feb70ZamiaFron.jpg.3ebd94b28d4375506fb88a0cf5ZamiaCaudex.jpg.1753d9e83d91cd6763d56840

Thanks

Richard

To me it looks like Zamia furfuracea.  I find that there's a lot of variability in this species as far as breadth and shape of leaflets, and even a little difference in habit between plants in this species, not to mention what you said about getting a little stretchy in shade.

12 hours ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

Are the leaflets thick and stiff?

Yes they are. They are much the same as on my z. furfuracea, but without the fuzz. The leaflets are somewhat glossy. As you can see from the photo, the fronds are somewhat more distended than z. furfuraceae, but that may be due to the growing conditions as opposed to natural tendencies.

Richard