IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Hydriastele Kasesa

Richie

This is my Hydriastele Kasesa , a great looking clumper and pretty fast grower . It has seeded before but I have had no luck with germination yet  . The outer flesh is almost impossible to remove , even after soaking for two weeks ? Does anyone grow this cool palm and does anyone have any ideas on cleaning and germinating the seeds . Thank's in advance .

IMG_0083.thumb.JPG.e21a00547345bf14b5840IMG_0084.thumb.JPG.0386fab9f00eb546fdefcIMG_0085.thumb.JPG.0a8afa165502ce9a45b12

• Upvote 4

Hi Richie, 

Could you post more pictures of the leaves crown?
Does it actually look like H. microcarpa but clumping?

Thanks.

Philippe

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

Had a beautiful H. kasesa here in Satellite Beach It had a super cool polka dot pattern on trunks. Was one of my favorite palms until winter 2010. It melted :(

Warrior Palm Princess, Satellite Beach, Florida

14 hours ago, doranakandawatta said:

Hi Richie,

Could you post more pictures of the leaves crown?
Does it actually look like H. microcarpa but clumping?

Thanks.

Philippe

Here you go Philippe , not the best pic but might give you some idea . Not sure on the Microcarpa , but I think they have praemorse leaftips and can come as clumper as well.

IMG_0095.thumb.JPG.155ea6f0a688f5d598fe5IMG_0088.thumb.JPG.3c211736dbbcec39bff0f

• Upvote 2

Hey richie, nice Hydriastele! I got a couple of seedlings in tubes a few weeks back. How long ago were the last seeds sown? Hydriasteles are very sporadic germinators. Alot take up to 12months to sprout.

Cheers harry

Edited by fan palm

These are nice palms, nice size and scale. The color on the crown shaft is quite nice and typical of some Hydriastele. I've not tried to germinate any of it's seeds

yet.

Tim

P1060013.jpg

P1060008.jpg

P1060006.jpg

• Upvote 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Oops, sorry, the photo of the seeds in the above post is from Hydriastele pinangoides, not H. kasesa.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

i'm also have some bad experience with Hydriastele species .( hydriastele wendlandiana and  hydrastele microspadix )

Nice Pinangoides Tim and I like the H affinis you posted on another topic :greenthumb: Cheer's Harry , she's a beauty . I've had the last batch in for probably 12 months and the sphagnum moss did dry out a little , so i'll try again with this batch . I found if you soak them then rub them on concrete with your foot the flesh comes off easier.